Search results

1. B

Art DJ Pre II phono preamp

BeatComber, very nice sound on those clips!! Good choice.... great sounding, solid bass and precussion!! I've played bass since high school and have listened to many live drum kits "up close" .... I a little some hearing loss in my right ear to prove it :-)
  2. B

BeatComber, thanks for the link, I've downloaded your clips. One thing I should mention is that my playback amp is an Arcam A85 which is generally considered to be on the layed back, polite side. So I guess It's not the best match for a dark, layed back sounding pre. I think that's why the...
  3. B

beatcomer, yes you are exactly right, to me the 640p has a fairly dark sound and has more depth than the ART. The ART is a little flatter. The 640p seems to start at the plain of the speakers and extend back. After a 3:00AM listening session last night and more this morning a higher volume...
  4. B

Awesome Pre The little ART DJ Pre II is really amazing. For about 20 years.... starting in the early 70's my system consisted of a Thorens Turtable with Shure V15 III cartidge into a Dayton Wright SPS Mk III studio preamp, Crown D150 power amp and JBL L300 Summit loudspeakers. This was a high...
  5. B

Here's my Synergy System- What's Yours?

I`ve just closed the synergy loop on my current system. I used an Arcam CD73 into an Arcam A85 amplifier with EPOS M5 speakers and MK Sub for a number of years. It sounded pretty good but a little sterile or "polite". I just finished putting together a hard drive based system using a...
  6. B

Amplifier 'Sound'

One thing that I've noticed recently when comparing amplifiers was a difference in gain linearity. Both amps had good specs (the reported ones anyway) and sound good but one of the amps (Arcam) seems to have a slightly compressed quality to it. The effect is that subtle sounds are slightly...
  7. B

Great Speaker Find! You guess what they are!

Woow, that's really great work. I have a late 50's early 60's Ampeg B-15 bass amp that has been in far too many bars and looks like your before pictures. I think I'll try something similar with it.
  8. B

Great Speaker Find! You guess what they are!

I'm getting chest pains just looking at that wash rag..... :smoke:
  9. B

What is the musical end-point for brain and ears

Geees..... I experienced a brain freeze trying to follow those comments :sigh: .
  10. B

New 2-chaqnnel receivers, amps, pre-amps, int... what do you run?

I'm using Arcam CD73 CD player with an ARCAM A85 amp and EPOS M5 speakers. It makes a pretty nice setup of all new equipment.
  11. B

Bob Dylan says modern recordings are bad!

I'm not a Dylan fan but I respect him for his comments. CD quailty is terribly inconsistent and mostly compressed to produce a wall of sound/noise. I couldn't live without a remote control because the level varies so much from disc to disc. Also it takes a fairly good player to get decent...
  12. B

What gear do you really LOVE?

I love my EPOS M5 speakers and I have a Dayton Wright SPS Mk3 preamp that I bought new in 1978 that I'll never part with. I'm currently using an Arcam CD73 and A85 which definitely deserve honorable mention :thmbsp: .
  13. B

Do you listen to "music" or to your "system?"

I'm an Electronic Technologist and off-and-on Bass/Guitar player for 40 years so I'm a gear junky but here are some of the signs that indicate I'm listening to the music more. First - I don't jump from CD to CD anymore picking out the parts that emphasis some characteristic of my system...
  14. B

Multi-channel madness

This would be even better if the accompanying video were in surround format to match. I've found many productions tend to have problems matching the video and audio. ie background singers behind the vocalist coming from surround speakers..... a little artificial. As I mentioned in another...
  15. B

Disappearing brands...

I guess it's all relative. As I mentioned before, you can get great sound from a multi-channel system. Multiply a decent quality $4000 two channel system by 3.5 (we want 7.1 right!!) and you have it. Or spend the $4000 on a 7.1 system and get the equivalent of 3.5 $1,100 two channel systems...
  16. B

....any guitar fans out there?.....

Holy crap..... what planet is that guy from????? What a great sound......that's truly amazing. I checked out his website. He's doing free street performances in Montreal starting tonight through next week (part of the Jazz festival). Thanks for the post.
  17. B

Multi-channel madness

A lot of good points raised here. One of the reasons I started with the HT was to watch concerts. There are some other great ones like the Roy Orbison "Black and White Night", The Eagles and I love the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert. Shania also looks and sounds pretty good on a big screen with a...
  18. B

Multi-channel madness

Agreed, those are great examples of good productions and there are many others. I guess I'll hang on to that HT stuff after all. I'll just have to dig a little deeper for upgrades to that expensive 2 channel stuff. Don't want to go for off-shore stuff and would rather buy Canadian (Blue...
  19. B

Multi-channel madness

If you mean the Star Wars pod race I have to agree it was well done. I enjoy it in surround sound. I guess I'm being pretty harsh by totally condeming HT. It's just that I've seen some pretty bad stuff lately and I was not very happy last night even if I did get to watch Milla Jovovich for 90...
  20. B

Multi-channel madness

I've just recently returned to Hi-Fi after a long absence that included building a decent HD system (Denon 3803 Rec, Mirage Speakers, M&K sub, Toshiba projector). Last night while I was listening to a sweet Norah Jones CD my son rushed in with a new movie rental. He was pretty excited and...
  21. B

Got the sizzel/swwwish back

Just want to post a quick followup on this. I mentioned in my earlier post that I didn't seem to be getting the high frequency deffinition in the sound of brushes on drums and cymbals. I'm using a good quality source - Arcam CD73 cdp, great preamp -> Dayton-Wright SPS Mk3, so-so poweramp ->...
  22. B

Were's the sizzel

Thanks for all the input on this. Special thanks for recommending that I contact Omer at OZ. I bought some of the solid interconnects and my system sounds much better. There is more deffinition and texture in the high end and I think there is also a little less sibilance in male voices.
  23. B

Crown nice...

I used an IC-150 for a while with a Crown D-150 power amp about 25 years ago. It was ok but I thought it was a little grainy and went to a Dayton-Wright SPS Mk3 which coupled with the D-150 power amp was in my system for about 25 years.
  24. B

The deal of the month

It's good to hear of someone doing the right thing..... John must have been in shock!!!! Nice turntable buy the way :yes: I had an issue with a purchase through paypal..... the person that I bought from had two paypal accounts one personal and one business. Somehow I got double charged...
  25. B

Best compliment on your system

It's great to hear acoustic guitar through a good system. I remember being at a shop back in the late 70s early 80's when I was sure I heard someone knock over an acoustic guitar I turned around quickly to discover that it was a recording with someone tapping on the top of a guitar at the...
Back
Top Bottom