Search results

1. Jupiter1610

Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

I was never able to hear them but saw a pair of near mint McIntosh MC3500s for sale here in Portland once. Wow. They were stunning to look at. I am always impressed when I look at the build quality and aesthetics of 60s era McIntosh equipment. The C22 has to be the most beautiful preamp ever...
  2. Jupiter1610

Your favorite low power receivers

My Kenwood KR-5600 receiver was a real sleeper. Nice clean sound with a very sensitive tuner. Even drove my big ADS 910s once and it sounded sweet at low volumes.
  3. Jupiter1610

2016 System Evolution

Drugolf, out of curiousity, what did you replace your Adcom combo with? I have really been impressed by both the pre-amp and amp, especially compared to what have been really quality pieces of vintage equipment that have rotated in and out of my system. Accuphase E-203, Yamaha CA-2010, Marantz...
  4. Jupiter1610

2016 System Evolution

My system has undergone a major overhaul over the last year at every level. Currently my living room setup consists of the following - (Digital) Sonos Connect > Parasound zDAC v2 (Analog) Thorens TD-160B w/ Rega RB250 + Grado Reference Platinum Adcom GFP-565 Adcom GFA-5500 B&W Matrix 803...
  5. Jupiter1610

Yamaha M4 vs CA2010

I am curious as well. I have a CA-2010 that I love but wonder what pair of Yamaha separates it would take to make a substantial upgrade.
  6. Jupiter1610

What CD player would you buy for $500 or less

Perhaps a high-end CDP from the last 15 or so years, right at the end of the CDs golden era. Peak sales for CDs were in 1997 and 1998. Cassette was long gone by that time and vinyl had not yet made a resurgence. The iPod came out in 2001 and computer based audio would not become a viable...
  7. Jupiter1610

Mac 4100's have gotten expensive

I have owned my 4100 for 12 years and find it to be anything but mediocre. I bought mine in near perfect condition in 2004 and had the unit serviced just this last winter. I have compared it to a variety of vintage pieces and think it compares well to a contemporary receivers and integrated...
  8. Jupiter1610

First pair of B&Ws!

Just purchased my first pair of B&Ws yesterday. A near perfect pair of 803 Series IIs. Listening over the last two days with my Yamaha CA-2010 and I am just blown away. I have been an ADS and Braun listener for years, having owned models from the 570s to the 910s. These better my 910s in every...
  9. Jupiter1610

heard a serious system today

I recently listened to systems that I would estimate cost at least $50k and was less than impressed. One setup was a Mark Levinson/Aerial Acoustics combo sourced with a VPI Classic TT. The second was a McIntosh setup with a Sooloos music server (what a rip off) running a pair of new B&W 802 D3s...
  10. Jupiter1610

Which one is better? C26, C28, C29, C33

I always thought a mx110 would be a cool pairing with a 2505.
  11. Jupiter1610

Mcintosh MA 6300 vs MA 6450

Both the 6400 (with phono) and 6500 are pretty rare (especially the 6400). A 6800 IF you can one would be even better, but exceedingly rare. If you are okay stretching your budget for a 6300, I would just hold off and keep your eye out for a 6900. You would gain autoformers, five band equalizer...
  12. Jupiter1610

Just got a MA6200

Don't overlook more modern speakers too. The 6200 could serve as the centerpiece for a great system. I have not used a 6200 but have had a 4100 receiver for over a decade. My understanding is that the two pieces are closely related and specs are the same. I have used my 4100 with everything from...
  13. Jupiter1610

Internet music on my vintage reciever?

I run my Sonos into the Aux or tuner inputs of my vintage receivers or integrated amps. Works great.
  14. Jupiter1610

Trouble with CA-2010 on Power-up

Thank you for the responses. I will have them do further investigation and let you know what I find out.
  15. Jupiter1610

I was initially using a power strip but when I encountered the problem switched to a different wall outlet. What really makes me think it is something at the wall level is that the lamp in the room blinks slightly when the units click. And yes, they are all on the same breaker.
  16. Jupiter1610

Not too discredit your expertise Avionic but why is it occurring with the Marantz too? And in sync? That is what really puzzles me.
  17. Jupiter1610

I have a Yamaha CA-2010 and over the last few weeks it has given me fits when powering up. When I throw the power switch, the protection circuit just clicks repeatedly. I then shut it off and try again. After two maybe three attempts, I will finally hear the "thunk" and it is ready to play...
  18. Jupiter1610

ADS-910's

I would really recommend the 810s. I don't think you get the benefit of the 910s unless you have a large enough room. The 810s are such a balanced speaker. As much bass as you need in most rooms (they can still really rock) combined with that great ADS midrange and low level of listening...
  19. Jupiter1610

ADS-910's

I do not have my first pair of 910s. I do have a set of 810s and 570s. All the ADS speakers I have used have that same sweet house sound but the 910s allow you to play much louder and have more heft ( as one would think given their size).
  20. Jupiter1610

ADS-910's

Good to see the 910s getting some love. I am on my second pair now, the current set in near mint condition. Use them primarily with a Yamaha CA-2010. Definitely one of the least fatiguing speakers I have used (as is much of the ADS line).
  21. Jupiter1610

Just got a MA6200, sounds like I upgraded everything

Nice setup. I have used my 4100 with ADS speakers (570s, 810s, 910s) for years and it has always been a superb pairing.
  22. Jupiter1610

Upgrading from Dynaco A25

I went from Dynaco A-25s to ADS L730s. My ADS infatuation began there.
  23. Jupiter1610

How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

Bought my MAC4100 in September 2004 for $675, shortly after turning 20. It was a big stretch for me at the time as i was in college. So many pieces have rotated through my collection since that it seems like a bargain now. Even had a complete Kenwood 700 series at one time but liked the Mac better.
  24. Jupiter1610

Did McIntosh ever make any bad pieces of stereo equipment?

Were the C26, MA5100, or MAC1700 units bad in comparison to their contemporaries, or have they just garnered a bad rap over time because they were 1st gen solid state?
  25. Jupiter1610

Will vintage gear market crash when gen dies out?

I am currently 29 yro and been into vintage hifi since I was a teenager. When I started, vintage gear was so much more affordable than new stuff and it was an entry point for me into hifi. I have since gained an appreciation for the quality of many the higher end vintage pieces, especially the...
Back
Top Bottom