Search results

1. montelatici

Rewiring technics tonearm...

Why are you rewiring? Is it an SL 1200MK2? If so, have you thought about buying a new original tone arm bearings and all? The new tone arm from Technics comes with the tone arm wires already installed and brand new original Technics tonearms can be had for around 60-70 bucks. Between, tone...
  2. montelatici

Rega runs fast, what to do?

It really doesn't matter. It's not about you. These threads will be read by people doing Google searches for the resolution of problems they may be having with their TTs. Maybe the fellow doing the search doesn't have loads of other tables, doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to fix the...
  3. montelatici

Conceivably, when confronted with costs upwards of $300 (parts and labor) to get a TT to turn at the correct speed, an owner might elect to purchase an alternative TT that is known to run consistently at the correct speed for less than $300.
  4. montelatici

LOL, you do understand that it is bantering. I'm sure you have more serious issues in your life.
  5. montelatici

Besides The Technics SL16 and 1700MKII Tables Do Any Others Have A Mute ?

I believe that it is a very useless additional failure point, even with changers, much less with non changing TTs.
  6. montelatici

Fixed it for you.
  7. montelatici

The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

If you are going to go Technics, try to find one of the single screw with mounting sled Technics head shells. They are my favorites and are the easiest to align.
  8. montelatici

How do you test the speed?
  9. montelatici

You are joking, right?
  10. montelatici

When I see something like this I like to post this link showing another 40+ year old turntable in operation and under test, so no BS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtO4YurFgqU
  11. montelatici

OK, I got my SL-1800 all apart. Now what ?( Arm static issue)

He would be wrapping it to the chassis ground, not a good idea.
  12. montelatici

SL-1600MK2 auto play issues

There are no transport screws according to the manual I have, and, the manual has no adjustment for the springs.
  13. montelatici

OK, I got my SL-1800 all apart. Now what ?( Arm static issue)

1. You should de-ox those pots and the other two gross speed control pots. 2. You can burn the insulation off the end of the tonearm wire with a lighter. 3. Since it is at a point where it won't cause binding, I would get a piece of wire (just small gauge not necessarily tiny tonearm wire size)...
  14. montelatici

Rega runs fast, what to do? Buy a Technics SL 1200 MK2.
  15. montelatici

Shure's M95ED or M97XE ?? With JICO SAS

Actually, I think I prefer (marginally) the M97xE to the M95ED with the OEM styli. Don't know about how they sound with third party styli. This may be heresy but I usually compare my M97xE with my V15 type IV with the OEM N45 HE stylus. Of course it doesn't compare favorably to my V15 with the...
  16. montelatici

With the brush down you should track at 1.75 Grams, with it up at 1.5 grams.
  17. montelatici

Technics question

Admittedly, the plastic Technics can go for very little. I saw an SL 2000 go for 15 bucks just a few days ago. Metal Technics (1300-1800s) even non-working without covers rarely go for less $100.
  18. montelatici

If it is floating at an indicated 2 grams, it isn't at 2 grams. You need to balance the tonearm so that it is floating by turning the counterweight inwards or outwards. Then, without moving the counterweight, turn the indicator ring to 0. Then set the counterweight (turning in concert with...
  19. montelatici

John, Should be 52mm. Actually, it should be measured from the head shell washer to the stylus needle. The cartridge could be mounted anywhere along the headshell.
  20. montelatici

Technics question

I always take "score" stories with a grain of salt. In fact, I always wonder what the point is of advertising the fact that a widow sold a mint Transcriptors for $50 from her husband's estate.
  21. montelatici

Packing the platter with plastique is a blast I hear.
  22. montelatici

No left channel sound. SL-1800.

You probably have a bad cable or RCA plug. It could be an open somewhere between the head shell socket in the tone arm to the cable pcb, but it is less likely. I would open up the TT and check continuity between the pcb where the tonearm wires and the cable ends are soldered to, and the RCA...
  23. montelatici

jsisk is absolutely right. For the o-ring (which is less elastic) to work it has to be too tight on the motor shaft which damages the shaft/motor.
  24. montelatici

Technics question

It's not "so bad", but a metal tonearm and metal motor mounted to a metal plinth is better mechanically and sonically in my opinion. Technics went to plastic to compete on price. Those aluminum plinth castings for the 1200 thru 1800 series were probably the highest cost single component of...
Back
Top Bottom