Search results

1. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

The speakers probably love an amp that can supply a lot of current. I'm also getting an adcom GFA 535 and 545 for free. Both can supply a lot of current to the speakers even though one is 60WPC and the other is 100WPC.
  2. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

I am getting a pair of Advent Maestro speakers for free. If they need to be refoamed, what foam should I use? Also on a Facebook vintage audio group, someone mentioned that Human Speakers makes a replacement woofer that is better than the stock woofer. Anyone know anything about that?
  3. Tube Radio

FYI the Schiit Saga S has gone missing?

One benefit of the IR extender is that now I can point the remote in pretty much any direction in the room and the extender picks it up, whereas with the Saga S, I had to have the remote pretty much pointed at it. The green dot is the IR extender.
  4. Tube Radio

FYI the Schiit Saga S has gone missing?

Hopefully the relays in the Kara will be much quieter than the relays in the Saga S as I had to put mine in a closet and use an IR extender given how loud the relays are.
  5. Tube Radio

Kenwood KT-5300 tuner

I have yet to recap it.
  6. Tube Radio

Bluetooth speaker question

Should have mentioned that I'm talking about the type of Bluetooth speakers that are not portable and have no batteries. Most are bookshelf speakers but I want something a little larger than that which can sound good a distance away from them. These are for use with a HDTV that has no...
  7. Tube Radio

Bluetooth speaker question

I'm looking for a pair of Bluetooth speakers. Budget is under $300. Need a frequency response to at least 50Hz and have an output for an optional powered sub or have a sub included with them. Need to sound good about 10 feet from them. Any recommendations? So far all I've found are either...
  8. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

So far I am well pleased with how the amp sounds. EDIT: Looking at how the meters move around somewhat when loads are connected and disconnected from the house AC power, I can see why some use a power conditioner on their stereo system.
  9. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

Never knew it was bad for the rectifier. What I may do is use a transformer for the bias and add a 30 second delay relay for the main power transformer. That way no matter what, there's a hard programmed 30 second delay. The preamp I am using has a 60 second delay upon powerup before it...
  10. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

I'd then need a large cathode bypass cap like I had before in order for the bass response to stay the same.
  11. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

So I decided to power up the amp, let it get to its idle current, unplug it and plug it back in immediately. The fixed bias scheme is a problem that I need to address as the meters pegged hard right for a second or two. There's space between the power and output transformers for me to mount a...
  12. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

Yep.
  13. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

The meters normally move slightly in sync to the audio, but when the amp distorts they will be out of sync and move a whole lot more. Here's a brief video showing the meters. The first part is no distortion as seen on the scope. The last part is distortion as seen on the scope. Apparently...
  14. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

Interestingly enough the maximum undistorted amp output at 400Hz into its rated impedance has the meters right at 100mA. Also if the amp goes into distortion while playing music the meters do weird things so they can be used to tell me when the amp is distorting.
  15. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

Very nice. I like it.
  16. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

Cool. You got a photo of something painted in that so I can see how it looks?
  17. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

That would require either lots of tape or dud tubes in the sockets and if I work on the amp I have to be very careful that I don't scratch the paint.
  18. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

It kind of does, doesn't it. I almost want to paint the chassis satin black, but that would require a bit of work though.
  19. Tube Radio

Magnavox AMP-142 rebuild

I finally got off my butt and purchased a new drill (old one had a bad power cord) and got the meters and pots mounted. Had to move the choke over to the right side though. I will wire each meter in series with two of the 1 ohm cathode resistors on the 6V6 tubes. I'll power the amp up with the...
  20. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

Agreed. My most recent build involved two RCA 12" woofers (someone had pulled from an RCA solid state console) connected in series for 16 ohms. A Goodmans midax, trebax and the Goodmans three way crossover that went with the Goodmans drivers. After recapping the crossover given I didn't know...
  21. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

I agree, however if I know the drivers are matched far as dB is concerned, that takes one thing out of the equation if something doesn't sound right.
  22. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

True, however that requires equipment that I don't have and cannot yet afford. Most likely I'll figure a way to seal the rear panel in such a way that it can be removed while keeping the seal intact so that at a later date when I get measurement equipment I can alter things if need be. Now on...
  23. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

Perhaps, although I've had excellent results using the SPL spec of drivers and using an l-pad to make the other drivers equal to the woofer. The plan once I can afford it is to buy the proper equipment to measure speakers and audio equipment.
  24. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

One option is to do like some speaker manufacturers did and add a rotary switch offering two or three different levels of attenuation for the tweeter.
  25. Tube Radio

Tweeter question

Not having to worry about l-pad adjustments is one less part of the equation. I can set the speakers up and know they will sound right.
Back
Top Bottom