Search results

1. tarior

Happy AK Anniversary to Me!

As of today, I have officially been on AudioKarma for 20 years. I've learned an awful lot in that time, and even made a few friends. Here's hoping for another 20 (at least).
  2. tarior

Sad, Abused, Forlorn Sansui AU-6900...a Rescue.

I was in Chehalis and stopped into this junk shop in the old Yardbirds building that was closing down. It was pretty picked over, and I nearly escaped without buying anything. Then I spotted this completely hammered Sansui integrated amp. The top and bottom covers were off and laying on the...
  3. tarior

Simple photo editing software

Anybody have a link for a simple photo editing software download? I have Paint, Gimp, and the like, but I want one that pretty much does nothing but crop, rotate, and autocorrect. Something high speed, low drag.
  4. tarior

Yard Sale Prize for fans of Soundgarden and/or Pearl Jam

I was rooting through a box of CDs at a rummage sale, and saw a copy of Temple of the Dog. For those unfamiliar, it is a tribute album dedicated to the memory of Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990. The album was released in 1991, featuring the remnants of MLB...
  5. tarior

PNW AKers, has anyone heard from markmark?

I was going through some stuff, and came across a set of patch cords that I got from @markmarc, who used to have the Affordable Audio webzine, and realized that I hadn't actually spoken to or heard from him in a couple of years. Has anyone here heard from him at all?
  6. tarior

Tuner Dial Strings and Hot Soldering Irons

Here's a pro tip for working around tuner dial strings with a hot soldering iron: put a layer or two of painter's tape over the string to protect it from inadvertent bumps with the iron. The blue stands out well in your peripheral vision, which also helps avoid touching it.
  7. tarior

Rebuilding LE25s

A customer brought in a thrashed pair of LE25-2 a while back.The cones and dustcaps were smashed up, and the lead wires had broken due to corrosion and rough handling as the foam damping ring had also disintegrated. Even the terminals had fallen off due to corrosion. I took a whole bunch of...
  8. tarior

Cloth edge damping compound?

I'm almost out of my last can of AA-75. What are the other reconers out there using in its stead?
  9. tarior

A Carver Amp and a Sleepwalker

So, I have this Carver M1.5T that someone abandoned on my doorstep some years ago. When it came in, it wouldn't power up at all. What with my great love for Carver products, I prodded around in it, became annoyed, and then set it aside for a later day. I totally did not do any work to it. That...
  10. tarior

Refreshing an SX-939 Tuner Section, the worst part...

So, I'm refreshing an SX-939 here, and part and parcel is to pull the tuner board up and fix the cracked solder joints around the tuning capacitor. I have found that virtually all receivers that have this arrangement will have cracked solder joints where the tuning cap is attached to the PCB...
  11. tarior

Vampire Wire out of Business

Well, friends, the signs point to the possibility that Vampire Wire is gone. Sonic Craft has been out of stock on many their products for some time. With that in mind, I went to Douglass Connection and ordered some Vampire barrier width spades. They emailed me later saying that they were out of...
  12. tarior

Kenwood out. Onkyo in!

Due to spousal considerations, I don't get to do as much gear swapping in the living room as I might like. Be that as it may, the Kenwood KA-9150/KT8300 combo that has served us well for the last couple of years has been switched out for this virtually pristine Onkyo TX-8500, an undersung and...
  13. tarior

KR-4070 Speaker Terminal Upgrade

I have a Kenwood KR-4070 that is in sweet cosmetic condition, and after a little tinkering, works and sounds fantastic. Trouble was, that a couple of the speaker terminals were stripped out by some hamfist with a large screwdriver. What to do... Why, make a terminal plate out of G10 and install...
  14. tarior

Pioneer SX-450, 550 power switch buzzing? How to fix it properly. With pics.

This comes up a lot around here, it's a very common issue, and most of the previous threads detailing the fix have either lost their attached pics (F-you Photobucket and Tinypic), or have a bunch of distracting tangents not dealing with the immediate issue. Or, the methods recommended are maybe...
  15. tarior

Marantz Model 24...

...a brief, subjective analysis. I wrote this while suffering from a bout of insomnia, so if it sucks, sue me. :) Here we have a rare, evidently one year only, tuner preamplifier. This was given to me about a year ago by a friendly acquaintance. From the outside, its looks are pretty...
  16. tarior

JBL L26 New Crossovers

I was working on a pair of L26, and determined that the L-pads were totally shot. While trying to pry the crossover boards off the inside of the baffle, I broke one all to pieces, broke one of the wires to the one of the inductors, and generally just made of mess of it. Beer might have been...
  17. tarior

Marantz 510M

Here are a few pics of the 510M power amp that I just rebuilt for a fellow in the Toledo, WA area. Sadly, I didn't do a step by step on this one. It was enough of an asswhip as it was. It came in with the right channel smoked all the way back to the inputs. Outputs, drivers, pre-drivers, the...
  18. tarior

Newer JBLs

I've been thinking that within the next year or so, I want to dump the great majority of my vintage speakers, and gear, and buy a set of newer JBL speakers. Here are the three models that I've narrowed it down to: M2 4367 MD46/49 Anyone here own any of these, especially the MD46 or 49...
  19. tarior

Technics SU-G-series amplifiers. Quick and dirty cooling mod.

I've always kind of liked these amplifiers. They sound good, have great power output, are available pretty inexpensively, and are just good all around performers. However, I do have a couple of critisms; I have never been a big fan of rotary encoder or other electronic volume controls, and more...
  20. tarior

Hidden Gem integrated amp.

A friend of mine picked up this RCA PA-120 amp at a yard sale and gave it to me "because I know you're into that stuff". I almost turned it down, because c'mon, RCA? But I didn't want him passing on something good in the future out of the fear that he'd be stuck with it. It was actually kind of...
  21. tarior

Kenwood KA-1100SD. It can be fixed!

Though maybe not as tidy as I would have liked. At least so far. This amp has been languishing around my shop for some time. All of the output devices on the right channel were completely shorted, and totally NLA for about the last 12 years at least. After some careful study, I was able to...
  22. tarior

In case anyone is working on a Kenwood KT-7002...

...beware. On the sub board, Q5 2SC458 (driver for the muting relay), the silkscreen on the board has emitter and collector reversed. The schematic and board layout in the SM are correct. That is all.
  23. tarior

Stupid Hitachi SR-302

This thing makes me crazy. It's just a beater, but I can't chuck it onto the free pile or harvest it for parts. So, I went ahead and threw it on the bench. Cleaned all the controls, replaced a lamp or two, inspected for cracked solder joints (surprisingly few), clean/lube the tuning capacitor...
  24. tarior

Saving the JBL 066

This is idea that I've been kicking around for some time now. I forget about it, and then remember it every time that I'm digging through my junk and come across the two or three dead, but otherwise decent, 066 motors I have laying around. It's always like "hmmmm...there has to be a way to...
  25. tarior

Kinergetics Research SV-200/100.5 subwoofer system.

So, I was in Portland yesterday retrieving a pair of ESS AMT3 "Rock Monitors" from a local flipper and doing some other business. While I was in town, I hit a few thrifts, and totally came up empty. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. What a bummer. Today, I stopped into our local small town Habitat ReStore...
Back
Top Bottom