Search results

1. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD capstan sleeves and pinch wheels...

Thanks again for your patience dhnash and others! :) I kinda get how you can kludge your way to different speeds with different settings,parts, adaptors. Just ordered a splice kit with leader and all for making some custom tapes of some of my vinyl collection
  2. thebeez85

If I re-read post #4, it sounds like 7.5 IPS can be achieved with two different bushings/pinch rollers/switch settings. It sounds as though using the actual 7.5IPS bushing would help produce less W&F, correct?
  3. thebeez85

so my next question: why would I need a different pinch roller and the 7.5 capstan bushing, when I can use my current pinch roller with the 15IPS bushing and NO bushing?
  4. thebeez85

MRL_Audio, correct: I'll be ordering one soon, maybe along with the smaller capstan sleeve (if its even necessary) I guess my question Im trying to answer is: Why two different pinch wheels and bushings? What's the other pinch wheel size, that is used with the normal bushing/no bushing? I was...
  5. thebeez85

so follow up question then: since I was able to play 15IPS tapes before, assuming the pinch roller is correct for that speed, what diameter/part number, etc is the larger pinch wheel to be used with the smaller capstan bushing? edit: maybe Im missing something...there should be two different...
  6. thebeez85

hey dhnash! correct - sooo...is the (smaller?) rubber pinch wheel and smaller capstan sleeve absolutely necessary to achieve all 4 speeds? :idea:
  7. thebeez85

alrighty guys, Im slowly getting back into my R2R world and have questions: I lost my capstan sleeve (i only have the chunkier one), and need another for recording/playing 7.5 IPS tapes. As far as the rubber pinch wheel/combination goes, I've always been able to use either no capstan sleeve...
  8. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD

okay, so there's TWO different bushings and TWO different pinch rollers? So , the bushing in my picture in post #7 is for 3.75IPS and 7.5IPS? After re-reading numerous times, it seems the pinch roller and bushing I have are for 15IPS... So, with the bushing I have (which appears to be the...
  9. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD

I must be thinking of the capstan bushing (see photos) I’d need a smaller pinch wheel to get 15ips, correct? All shown in pics is what comes with it from factory
  10. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD

Question: I know I can do different tape speeds... If I set the speed switch to “high”, and use the little capstan (original one luckily), would I achieve 7.5ips or 15ips?
  11. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD

Thanks for the reply dhnash! I honestly don't think I'm brave enough to open it up..too chicken-sh!t :biggrin: Would he be able to repair other issues, if it's not the idler? (edit: ignore this. realized he only sells parts) Also, Would it be possible to replace the built in speakers with...
  12. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD

I have an old Akai X-1800SD in decent shape with all original parts. My main problem is with New FULL tapes...seems after a certain point, the take up reel side struggles to take up the rest of the tape and stops. Since these are tapes I've made myself, should I just cut the tapes, and keep...
  13. thebeez85

Source for 7in 1/4 take up reels?

preferably metal, but plastic works too, if they're not warped... ones on the auction website tend to be 40-50 bucks! :eek:
  14. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

Any idea on why the left channel would be crackling/hissing intermittently? Happens when the unit is in idle and recording... Of course, I'm using some oooood ass tapes till my 632 tapes get in...them again, it happens when the transport is in rec or play...:confused:
  15. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

dhnash, I bought a couple Quantegy 632 tapes. sealed NOS (en route)....any idea on the vintage?
  16. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

oh wow - thanks kent and davey! :D I had wondered if it really did 30ips or not, for scientific purposes :idea: I'll defnitely get my hands on a better deck, once money permits! It was a free gift so It'd be silly not to tinker with it, right? It was given to me and pretty much everything is...
  17. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Akai_Reel_Tape_Deck_Capstain_Speed_Sleeve_Replacement.htm
  18. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

My bad, totally meant this to be about 30ips speed. With the capstan sleeve and the speed switch set to high, I'm nearly 100% positive it runs at 15ips. I DO know it can do 30ips, but it takes a smaller pinch wheel, so it doesn't hit the capstan and a bigger capstan sleeve. Guess the same...
  19. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

Anybody know the size of the "smaller" pinch roller? I always thought it only came with the larger normal one, that'd used for 7.5ips and slower speeds...o_O
  20. thebeez85

reel-to-reel newb and loving it

reel-to-reel newb and loving it
  21. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

Thanks dhnash! I got the user and service manuals from headfiengine but am too chicken to do much besides cleaning the capstans and pinch roller :P
  22. thebeez85

Akai X-1800SD 15ips...

I recently aquired my first r2r deck and am interested in giving 15ips a go....but need the larger capstan (sourced) but understand I'll need a smaller (original) pinch roller(?) All I have is the 7.5 ips sleeve and "regular"(?) pinch roller. Any source on the smaller pinch roller...
  23. thebeez85

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

24. thebeez85

Under the Table and Dreaming vinyl pre-order (Amazon)

finally got the correct version of UTTAD in. Foil numbered #04682. my review from discogs: ★☆☆☆ FINALLY after 4 months...#4682....waaaaay too tinny, even spread across two LPs...way too much distortion, even with a vivid-line stylus!....At least the packaging was flawless and the records...
  25. thebeez85

I can't seem to do ANYthing right...

Thanks again all. Tjetracer, are you referring to audio in general, or instruments? I play both :D I have found sitting down at the piano, and noodling around just kinda lets everything melt away...almost more so than guitar (been picking for about 18 years) music, I think, is my greatest...
Back
Top Bottom