Search results

1. mmann68

LG V10 Phone DAC

I was pretty much always in the middle aged guy "what do I need a phone for beyond making calls" camp. But got into the market for a new phone earlier this year, and went straight from the cheap, no cost phone to spending some bucks and getting the LG V10 largely based on its rep for sound...
  2. mmann68

Tom in RI is Great

Everything about ordering from Tom in RI is perfect. Quick to respond to inquiries, super quick to ship, everything was packed excellently, quality of items ended up being even better than described. Could not ask for a better experience, buy with confidence from Tom in RI.
  3. mmann68

QRX 9001 Connections

I have an OPPO 981 HD that is nice for SACDs. Wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to connect the OPPO into the QRX 9001 for best use of four channel playing SACDs. Or any other connection suggestions welcomed. Thanks ahead of time!!!
  4. mmann68

Sansui QRX 9001 Restore/Repair?

Just picked up a QRX 9001. It is in partially working condition, very enjoyable as is for now. Eventually, I may be interested in repair, or even full restore, services. I am in the Raleigh NC area and would be interested if anyone knows of anybody somewhat local that may service QRX 9001s...
  5. mmann68

QRX 9001 Issues

A beast. Quick repost on a QRX 9001 I am looking at picking up. Have an agreement with a very nice lady that I could purchase this after a brief test period. Trying to figure out whether to go forward with purchase based on issues and possible work that may need to be done. I am not an expert on...
  6. mmann68

QRX 9001

Wondering if folks could give thoughts on the venerable QRX 9001 from three distinct aspects. First, how it rates regarding dedicated quad functions. Second, how good the quad synthesis mode is. And, finally, how you would rate it in 2 channel, pure stereo. Thanks ahead of time!!
  7. mmann68

Auction for VOA: Best of Babe Ruth

How about a Babe Ruth Best Of vinyl. This is on the Harvest UK label. I would give both the vinyl and the sleeve a VG++. The vinyl is super shiny. Babe Ruth is a sneaky great band, a lot of good stuff beyond the song "The Mexican" that they are rightly famous for. Anyway, this would be a nice...
  8. mmann68

Sony Cassette Decks

Seems like lots of Sony cassette decks showing up on the boards lately. I just picked up a Sony TC-K81 deck, and wow. I haven't been too active with the cassette collection for a while, although my wife and I have quite a pile of them. This Sony deck sounds way beyond what I would expect from...
  9. mmann68

2015 VOA AUCTION TECHNICS M227X CASSETTE DECK

Absolutely great cause... My first foray into the fun will be a Technics M227X cassette deck. I have been overhearing the cool kids in the lunch room talking about how cassettes are the next big retro thing in audio, so get yourself a cassette deck, man. I'm not going to call it some good and...
  10. mmann68

Cart For Sony PS X75

I currently run a Dynavector 10x5 on my Ps X75 and it sounds really good. But always looking for good suggestions from knowledgeable AKers. Anybody have any experience with a cart that may sound as good or better? Thanks a lot.
  11. mmann68

Sony PS X-75 Channel Dropout Issue

As those that have had one can attest, these are really, really nice tables and I love mine. Mine has recently developed a very intermittent left channel dropout issue. When it does dropout, it is almost never completely silent, just fuzzy. And when it happens, I simply pull the RCA interconnect...
  12. mmann68

TIDAL Lossless Streaming--Thoughts?

Wondering what folks' thoughts on lossless streaming is. Been reading some stuff on this over the last couple of weeks. I guess Neil Young is going to have a service, and I am on a list for this service TIDAL for when it gets started. A lot is dependent on what sort of clearances they have (they...
  13. mmann68

Where Do You Draw Your Karma Line?

In order to receive good Karma, I am assuming most would agree that you have to occasionally give good Karma. Everybody is always on the lookout for those great scores, whether it's the odd thrift store find, the person selling gear that just wants to see it go to someone who will enjoy it, etc...
  14. mmann68

KLH, EPI, Advent, ADS Two Ways-- Rankings?

Understanding that the only real answer to the question "Which of these are the best speakers?" is the ones that sound best to you, I am always interested in the knowledgeable perspectives of all on this site. My current speaker collection consists of HPM 100s, KLH Model 23, ADS L420, Advent...
  15. mmann68

Gagelle Best I've Ever Dealt With

This goes way beyond the usual "great seller", "recommended", etc. Gagelle is an absolutely great guy. Bought a Sansui amp and tuner from him. The process took a while, and he was incredible in answering every question, and over a long period of time meticulously describing the condition of the...
  16. mmann68

Tandberg TR 1055 Issue

Picked this sweet receiver up for a song a while back. Have played it on and off for a while with no issues. But over the weekend, I played it for several hours and when I went to power it off with the power button, it would not turn off. Worked the power button a few times, and it finally did...
  17. mmann68

BIC 940 vs Technics SL 1950

Anybody care to give any perspectives on pluses and minuses on a head to head with these two changers. My wife likes to have a changer in the house. We currently have a BIC 940, which is sort of surprisingly good. Part of it is the Shure SPS cartridge, it's a pretty nice sounding cart. Despite...
  18. mmann68

Oddball Crazy World of Arthur Brown

I came across a copy of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown on an Asian label called Tai Shen. Did a little online research and found a tiny, tiny bit about the label but not one scrap about this particular record. It comes in a paper wrapper encased in plastic instead of a typical cardboard sleeve...
  19. mmann68

DBX Range Expander

Some older threads on this, but I thought I'd see if anybody out there had thoughts on the DBX range expanders. I picked up a DBX 1bx Series III, and I like what it can do a lot. All of this is subjective, and a lot it falls into the category of bang for the buck (I picked this up as a throw in...
  20. mmann68

Sansui 5000x

What a great unit. Check out the pics, a beautiful receiver in spectacular condition. Oh, and with all possible paperwork. If anybody needs to jump into a time machine and find out where they can get their Sansui serviced in 1971, I've got all the info you need (sorry Wisconsin folks, no...
  21. mmann68

How Much Better?

OK, let's get down to brass tacks, gentlemen (and ladies). I'm at a point where I've bided my time, waited for perfect deals and accumulated a small little collection of pretty good stuff at what ended up being a net outlay of pretty much nothing. The old buy and sell, step up the ladder, buy...
  22. mmann68

Technics SL-QL15 Issues

Picked up an SL-QL15 table the other day, thought it would be fun to have a linear tracking table, as I've never had one. Got it as a throw in with some records. It powers up, and after power comes on, the cueing light is on. Cue light will not go off, and nothing on the table seems to work...
  23. mmann68

Polk Monitor 7 vs JBL LX55

Obviously the answer to my question here is, whichever ones I think sound better and like better. And, truth be told, I've already pretty much made my mind up. But it never hurts to get outside perspective. What are folks' thoughts on a head to head between Polk Monitor 7s and JBL LX55? Have at it.
  24. mmann68

Marantz Speakers--What Are These?

Picked up a couple of pieces the other day on the cheap, as we all love to do. Super nice guy that was moving and had an ad up for "speakers" at $10. Got over there, and he was selling a pair of JBL LX55s for the $10. Then he said, "I've got one of those things that you plug everything into, you...
  25. mmann68

CD-4 Quad

So, I was asking a question regarding CD-4 quad functionality on my QRX-5500. Member Tumbleweed was kind enough to answer some of my questions. In the process of the discussion, a thought popped in my mind regarding the old CD-4 quad vinyl. There seems to be a split as to whether playing a...
Back
Top Bottom