Search results

1. Rich Andrews

Reliquify Faceplate Paint?

What you can try is a clear water based enamel. If you apply that to the back side carefully, a near invisible repair can be accomplished. Test the product you want to use on a piece of glass first. Some water based enamels do not dry perfectly clear.
  2. Rich Andrews

something peculiar about my MC 2500....

A typo isn't the worst thing. It does make it unique and thus should be more valuable to the collector or possibly a museum..
  3. Rich Andrews

something peculiar about my MC 2500....

The word I got from McIntosh is that there were many custom MC2500 made. You could order them any way that you wanted provided you came up with the cash. According to what I was told, they no longer offer customized amplifiers and have not offered them after the MC2500. If you have a serial...
  4. Rich Andrews

What brand signal cables are you using for your McIntosh gear?

I use video cable with Pro-fi RCA connectors.
  5. Rich Andrews

McIntosh mc2500 maintenance questions

The red power guard lights can flash on momentarily when first switched on but only after it has been powered off for a good long while. It all depends on the state of charge of a capacitor in the powerguard circuit. It seems that it also depends on how much humidity there is in the air.
  6. Rich Andrews

MR78 feet and blue gel filters.

That blue gel material is available at a theater supply house or a theater lighting rental store. Be sure to take a sample with you to match colors and allow a little for fading. The last time I bought that material, it was cheap.
  7. Rich Andrews

McIntosh mc2500 maintenance questions

If the fans don't work. fix them. I run both of my mc2500 amps in thermal mode. Takes about 6 hours before they come on assuming modest power levels.
  8. Rich Andrews

MC2255 with full LED conversion

What will really frost your flakes is when you realize that some of the blue-green tint is actually caused by the "clear" glass on some of the vintage units like the MR67 and C22. If you look closely at the edge of the glass, you can see the blue-green tint. You can't see it until you look at...
  9. Rich Andrews

Best McIntosh Car Amp?

Amps * volts = watts. It is rather hard to get away from that. A 300 watt mono amp will draw at least 25 amps of current @ 12 volts at full rated output. It will actually draw more as the efficiency of an amp is not 100% I spent a fair amount of time with a couple of those amps. It is a...
  10. Rich Andrews

Anyone listen to the Mac Music Stream?

I tried listening to it. Basically it sucks. Audio quality is marginal, content is boring.
  11. Rich Andrews

Do you trust 50+ year old transformers?

I would trust a 50+ year old Mcintosh transformer. Most of the transformeres in the power grid in the tri-county area are at least 50 years old. They all work just fine. What kills oil filled transformers is water condensating inside. Once the water reaches the windings, it shorts and then...
  12. Rich Andrews

Easiest auto turn on for amps?

To resolve the problem of turning on so many switches, I made an outlet box that plugged into my C22 preamp. That power from the C22 energized a 40 amp solid state relay that turns on the twin MC2500 amps and the rest of the gear. It is made heavy enough to handle both amplifiers at full tilt...
  13. Rich Andrews

MC2500/MC2300 Advice

The MC2500 is sufficiently advanced over the 2300 that it makes it the preferred amp. I have two of them so I am a little prejudiced. Having said that, the specs are better on the MC2500. Be sure to to eat your Wheaties. The 2500 is quite heavy. The limit lamps will glow momentarily at...
  14. Rich Andrews

Understanding the McIntosh appeal

The high cost of McIntosh vs everything else is like asking why is a Rolls-Royce more expensive than a KIA. Like the Rolls, the McIntosh is hand made, designed by the best engineers in the world, and built in it's home country. Who else winds their own transformers? Why so loyal? When you...
  15. Rich Andrews

Electronic music

Since there is no analog counterpart to something that exists only in the electronic realm, one is never sure what it is really supposed to sound like. We make a lot of assumptions but we never know for sure. If you can't understand that, then no amount of explaining is going to help.
  16. Rich Andrews

Electronic music

The interesting part to electronic music is that no one knows for sure what it is supposed to sound like. With any traditional musical instrument, you can listen to the real thing and compare that to what has been recorded/played back. There is no "listening to the real thing" when it comes to...
  17. Rich Andrews

Connecting from balanced to RCA using an adapter.

When I worked in Pro Audio, going from balanced 600 ohm to unbalanced (high impedance) was just a matter of adding a 600 ohm resistor at the RCA plug and slightly padding the input so that the levels were not too high. It was when that we went from unbalanced to balanced that was a problem...
  18. Rich Andrews

It's as if I upgraded every component

You guys do what you want. All this isolation business has no basis in fact. I have never heard or been able to measure any difference between components that were in the same room with the speakers or isolated at the other end of the house.
  19. Rich Andrews

MC302 Soft-Start

It also helps if you switch it on at the zero crossing point of the ac cycle. Solid state relays do that.
  20. Rich Andrews

MC225 Power transformer temperature

I was thinking something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Multimeter-Tool-Digital-Clamp-Meter-MS2002/202353289
  21. Rich Andrews

MC225 Power transformer temperature

What is the idle current of each measured at the power cord? That will tell you a lot.
  22. Rich Andrews

New Speaker Recommendations

+1 on the XRT22
  23. Rich Andrews

125 -> 220 Vac

It depends if you have a dual winding transformer or not.
  24. Rich Andrews

help , i want to go to the next level with my clsiiz

Eletrostatics usually have a very small sound stage. It can be like listening to a miniature orchestra/band where the musicians are about 18" to 2 ft. tall.
  25. Rich Andrews

McIntosh power transformers

After reading about the absolute paranoia and perception of risk in Finland, I am glad to be living here in the US where scientific facts are the rule. Germany is another country where paranoia and perception rules and facts are dismissed. A few years ago there were changes made to the...
Back
Top Bottom