Search results

1. elza

Headphone advice

I have Koss electrostatics.. Best ones I've ever listened to.
  2. elza

Phase Linear 400 II Amp Opinions ...

It made a significant difference in my 400 series 1. I would suggest upping the bridge rectifier as well. I went all out on mine with a White Oak control board. Here's the write up of what I did: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/phase-linear-400-re-build-complete.489394/
  3. elza

Phase Linear 400

I did this to mine and it is well worth the time/money/effort. Here is how mine went: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=489394
  4. elza

Questioning Folklore

IC's can make a difference. Take a quality IC on one channel and a cheap, dime store IC on the other channel. The difference is noticeable. Now, is there a difference between a quality IC and a "Pure gold wire impregnated with diamond dust" selling for hundreds of dollars? I ain't buyin' it...
  5. elza

Sa 9100 amp

I can't speak to the TT but you definitely scored on the 9100. I bought mine new in 1974 and still have it. It is, IMHO, one of their better amps. And coming from back in the golden age of audio that is saying something. I seriously doubt that you will have any complaints with this very fine...
  6. elza

RG Dynamics Pro-16 Schematic

BTT. Hoping someone will see it that missed it the first time.
  7. elza

RG Dynamics Pro-16 Schematic

I'm looking to rebuild my RG-16. Does anyone know where to get a schematic for it? Digging through it one component at a time really sucks. A schematic would make life much easier. I've looked all over and can't find one. Any assistance would be most appreciated.
  8. elza

Technics SL-1100 Rebuild

I'm about to take my SL-1100 out of mothballs. Any pointers on where and how to lubricate the old girl would be greatly appreciated. While I'm asking, anyone have a BOM for rebuilding the electronics?
  9. elza

How did anyone afford gear in 70's-80's??

Three years in the Army, year-and-a-half in Thailand. Over seas PX's were great but the Navy Exchange had the top end gear. Bought mine from the Navy Exchange in Yokohama, had it sent home, and joined it after I got out.
  10. elza

WLW Cincinatti

My dad grew up in the 20's and 30's in central Indiana. He said that all of the radios in the area had a white mark at 700 (WLW). In order to tune past it you first disconnected the antenna to keep from damaging the radio! It is claimed (if this is a lie you're getting as cheaply as I did)...
  11. elza

WLW Cincinatti

They still put it on line for 24 hours once per year.
  12. elza

Getting Old Sucks - Trying To Roll With The Punches

My Dad always said "There's no disgrace in getting old but it sure is unhandy as hell". I turned 70 last month. He had the situation well pegged!
  13. elza

Can you help a Pioneer Silver guy out folks?

This is for people running integrated amps that have a pre/power amp that can't be separated. Some can, some can't. The SA-9100 can be separated (jacks located on the back panel). Run both of them between the pre out and power in as David_NC recommended. ETA: The SA-9100 is a GREAT amp. I...
  14. elza

Need Grounding Help

My SL-1100A is the same. External ground is required. The IC shields are grounded in the SPEC-1 but apparently are floating in the TT.
  15. elza

Audio system in an older home

Wood floors can be troublesome. My experience can be read here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/holy-hockey-pucks-batman-as-in-speaker-isolation.582739/
  16. elza

Went off the rails today ...going to really test myself

Oops!! Not sure what I was thinking when I typed this. It has been corrected.
  17. elza

Pioneer SA-9500 II Power Indicator Light

A 1N4148 rectifier, a 665 ohm resistor, and an led wired in series makes a good replacement.
  18. elza

Went off the rails today ...going to really test myself

DO NOT TRY TO POWER IT UP WITHOUT A DIM BULB TESTER! Unless it has been serviced in recent years I can assure you that the caps are gone. Damage to the tubes and power transformer can well prove catastrophic. I do hope that you will restore this beautiful piece. It isn't that difficult and...
  19. elza

Add-on IR Remote Volume Control

I found this item the other day: https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-rohs/dp/79X4195 I would insert it between the preamp and power amp. I'm lazy and would like to have remote volume on my system. But I'm not so lazy as to degrade the performance for...
  20. elza

Any r2r experts able to help me w/ a purchase decision?

I've always been biased toward Teac. However, even if it is new and unused in the box it will need a bit of tweaking. Grease dries out, oil evaporates things of this nature. Not much to do but some cleaning and lubricating might be in order.
  21. elza

Warped records

Fascinating! Thank you very much.
  22. elza

Who else hates concentric controls?

Nor do I. They suck IMO.
  23. elza

Think I can save them?

If you part them out I would be interested in obtaining the strobe light working or not. I bought mine new in '75 and never got around to getting the light. IDIOT!!! Now they are a bit scarce.
  24. elza

Why the disdain towards direct-drive TTs from some audiophiles?

I'll stick with my SL-1100. It suits me to a 'T'.
Back
Top Bottom