Search results

1. Jim Creek

Denon DL103 - Mani 2 Settings Compromise

My Mani 2 phono preamp has stepped settings for loading. I can select 47k ohm, 200ohm, 47ohm or 38ohm. My guess is 200 ohm is likely the best choice. For capacitance I can add an additional 47pf, 100pf, 150pf, or 200pf. My guess is no additional capacitance is needed. My TT is a Pioneer...
  2. Jim Creek

Thinking About A Freya Noval

A Freya N would be a nice preamp to play with in my system. I have a seven year old original Saga now (which I love). Does anyone have a Freya N? What is your opinion. The Freya N is always listed under Schitt’s ‘B stock & closeout’. But it’s been on closeout for over 3 years! My guess is...
  3. Jim Creek

Do High End Capacitors Make A Difference In The Crossover?

Comparing something like Dayton Capacitors vs Jantzen Capacitors, is there an audible difference? If you were building a speaker project would you be satisfied with Dayton Capacitors?
  4. Jim Creek

Ceramic Coated Aluminum Magnesium Drivers - Is It Just Hype?

I’ve been listening to my Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers for about 3 years. I enjoy the sound but I am curious about the technology that went into the woofer and tweeter. MA advertises the CCAM driver technology as something special. CCAM = Ceramic Coated Aluminum Magnesium. Is there any...
  5. Jim Creek

Converting Vinyl To Digital On An Macbook Air M1?

I have Audacity software on my Macbook Air M1. I have to find a way to input audio from my preamp to my Macbook Air. I have seen RCA to USB-C adapter cables. Can I use that adapter cable going from my preamp’s RCA output to the USB-C port on my Macbook Air to record on Audacity software?
  6. Jim Creek

VEVOR Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner 6L - Any Opinions?

Has anyone used the VEVOR Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner 6L? The word 'Ultrasonic' has my attention. Price seems reasonable. Any opinions on this vinyl cleaning device? I don’t know if I’m allowed to show a link to it but here it is...
  7. Jim Creek

Denon DL-103 Ends Its 7,782 Mile Journey

The DL-103 is in my Pioneer PLX-1000 right now. Here’s my first impressions. I added a 5 gram weight to the headshell plus the Pioneer add-on weight to the back of the counter weight. This adds some mass which the DL-103 likes. I am breaking it in on some classical music, Beethoven Sonatas...
  8. Jim Creek

Ordered A Denon DL 103……..More $$$ Spent On Vinyl

I gave in to my vinyl urges and ordered an DL103, my first Low Output MC cartridge. I MUST find out for myself what all the fuss is about.
  9. Jim Creek

A Brief Comparison: Denon DL-110 and AT VM95ML

I compared both of these cartridges using a Pioneer PLX-1000 and a Schiit Mani 2. I used the same factory settings on the Mani for both carts. The volume was a bit lower on the DL110 so I turned up the preamp a bit for this cartridge. I had to swap out the headshells between sessions so it’s not...
  10. Jim Creek

Do Headshells Make A Difference?

I have numerous different types of headshells for my numerous different cartridges. I’ve been considering standardizing on one type/brand of headshell. Do headshells make a sonic difference? What headshells do you recommend?
  11. Jim Creek

My Stanton Is Wearing A Merkin

I switched out my Shure M97XE and installed my Stanton 681eee. A couple of years ago I purchased a NOS Pickering D625 stylus for the Stanton. I never got around to trying it out until today. It works really well, love the sound. It’s response is balanced and detailed. Tracking is quite...
  12. Jim Creek

Long Ignored Shure M97XE Surprised Me

After 3 years in storage I brought out my Shure M97XE from the box and mounted it on my PLX-1000. I was pleasantly surprised by the unique sound. The M97 has a downward sloping treble response making it a controversial cartridge, some hate it, some love it. I have an excellent copy of IN...
  13. Jim Creek

What If You Simply Set The Stylus Tip At Exactly The Overhang Spec?

Instead of aligning your cart for Baerwald, Stevenson, or Lofgren B, what is the resulting performance of simply squaring up your cartridge and aligning the stylus tip at exactly the overhang spec of your tonearm? Curious.
  14. Jim Creek

The Schiit Mani 2 Is A Nice performer For The Money

I’ve had my original Schiit Mani for a few years. The reviews on the new Mani have been good so I recently upgraded to a Schiit Mani 2 and really like it. The Mani 2 has more capacitance loading options (47pF, 100pF, 150pF, or 200pF ), resistance options (47KΩ, 200Ω, 47Ω, or 38Ω) and gain...
  15. Jim Creek

A Tennis Ball In Schiit

I ordered some tubes through a dealer on AliExpress, one being a Psvane Tennis Ball 6SN7. I’ve never seen a review on this tube so I thought I’d give it a go. I have numerous (too many to list) vintage and new production 6SN7 tubes, my current favorite sounding being a CBS Hytron 6SN7. My...
  16. Jim Creek

Pioneer PLX-1000 After 14 Months

I am even more impressed with the PLX-1000 now than when it was brand new. The audiophile performance of this turntable is just excellent, quiet, lots of torque, great tracking, rock solid reliability. It looks really cool when it lights up too. Having an interchangeable headshell is a great...
  17. Jim Creek

I Don’t Need To Split Any More Technological Hairs

I pretty much burned myself out on auditioning new hardware. I use to enjoy wasting money buying new stuff to try out on a regular basis. The treadmill of continuous upgrades is behind me. I just listen to music now, both digital and vinyl. The equipment I own now is good enough. I seldom feel...
  18. Jim Creek

Mobile Fidelity Studio Deck Made By VPI?

If you look at the VPI Cliffwood and compare it with the MoFi Studio Deck the layout and tonearm are suspiciously similar. The overhang and offset angles of the tonearm are the same. Just sayin’.
  19. Jim Creek

Stylus Timer Now Available on LP GEAR!

Do I really need one of these? Who cares?! I am buying one. It’s another thing to fiddle with...
  20. Jim Creek

Oh Crap! LP Gear Raised The Price Of The N91VL upgrade for Shure

I put on the headshell with its Shure M91VL cartridge onto my Pioneer PL-1000 TT. So I went to the LP Gear Website to verify the tracking force. I noticed they raised the price from $69 to $95. Oh well it was bound to happen. Anyway, I am tracking the M91 ViVid Line at 1.5g. I am going to try...
  21. Jim Creek

Direct Metal Mastering DMM

Direct Metal Mastering DMM, I found this designation on a Sara Vaughn Clifford Brown vinyl. I didn’t know what this meant so I did some research. This is what I found: DMM is the process where DMM cuts straight into a metal disc. In conventional disc mastering the mechanical audio modulation...
  22. Jim Creek

Keep Only One - Which Is It: Turntable Or DAC

Only one, Digital or Vinyl, make your choice.
  23. Jim Creek

Recommend Some Classic Jazz Vinyl

I have KIND OF BLUE and TAKE FIVE. Most of the rest of my jazz collection are ECM label vinyl. I’m looking for quality classic jazz vinyl. Any ‘must have’ classic jazz recommendations?
  24. Jim Creek

Schiit Mani Dying After 2-1/2 Years. You Must Hold A Prayer Vigil

The Mani is distorting occasionally on loud music passages. The right channel output is noticeably diminished in comparison to the left channel. I did an intensive troubleshooting procedure, swapping cartridges, cables, adjusting antiskate, etc. I have my Marantz PM8004 integrated with its...
  25. Jim Creek

Review Of Pioneer PLX-1000 In New Equipment - Performance Forum

There’s some photos and a video. I likely posted that review of the Pioneer PLX-1000 to the wrong forum. In any event, here it is: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/here’s-a-review-of-the-controversial-pioneer-plx-1000.897343/
Back
Top Bottom