Search results

1. Thom

Amature Radio Speaker

Riddle me this then. Why place a capacitor to ground through the switch and not put a normal low pass resistor/capacitor in the circuit? I understand that the only purpose of the "Tone Control" switch is to reduce the high frequency hash that sometime occurs but is this just a quick & dirty...
  2. Thom

Amature Radio Speaker

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.
  3. Thom

Amature Radio Speaker

I am rebuilding a Swan Speaker/Phone patch Model FP-1. The phone patch section is not relevant for this question though. A family of mice had taken up light housekeeping inside and the damage was predicable. I had the speaker re-coned, and I cleaned and rewired it. The problem is that the unit...
  4. Thom

Zenith MM2604-4

I normally change out all caps except for the mica ones. You might also try reversing the plug in the socket, just to eliminate that as a cause. The tuner is usually illuminated so the bulbs may be burnt out. This model is the lower end model in Zenith's line but still is a good performer. I...
  5. Thom

Show me your Mid-Century Modern consoles please!

Zenith X960 My 1967 Zenith X960. Just restored during the summer. Actually this should be moved to "Solid State". I forgot I was in the "Tube" forum. :sigh:
  6. Thom

Philco H-1816 Console Help

Congratulations! :banana: I kick myself everytime I think of the time I let one go. :tears:
  7. Thom

Zenith Stereo Console model ML2685

You may want to rethink your plan. It won't sound the same and may not sound very good if you swap out the guts. These sets were designed to work as one unit and you will destroy any value it might have. These sets are kind of rare given their cost. I am in the process of restoring one right...
  8. Thom

Update on My Zenith X960

I found the transistors at NTE. They're online.
  9. Thom

Update on Zenith X960

Sorry about the double post. Disregard...
  10. Thom

Update on Zenith X960

Dead channel has been repaired. It had 2 bad transistors (I may have taken one out myself :sigh: so I replaced all 4 from the push-pull section of the amp with matching pairs along with all the ecaps. It also had a bad ecap that was shunting the signal to ground on the left channel of the...
  11. Thom

Update on My Zenith X960

Dead channel has been repaired. It had 2 bad transistors (I may have taken one out myself) :rolleyes: so I replaced all 4 from the push-pull section of the amp with matching pairs along with all the ecaps. It also had a bad ecap that was shunting the signal to ground on the left channel of the...
  12. Thom

Would you trust this made in China Capacitor?

Justradios and MCM are who I order from. Nichicon, Panasonic etc. I usually repack my own cans. Then I can be sure it's done right. From the pictures it looks to be very poorly made and I wouldn't take a chance on it.
  13. Thom

Audiotronics 304A Inner Groove Distortion

How is your cartridge/stylus? Make sure it's set for LP. Not an ideal player for your records but usable. Better than those damnable Crosley record slayers.
  14. Thom

1969 Magnavox console

I'd leave it as it is. Large powerhouse consoles are not too common and a big Astrosonic is a much sought after set. Real nice find. :thmbsp:
  15. Thom

Realistic SA-700 - Bad Hum

Found 1000uF at 50v and 100v for my Zenith X960 at MCMelectronics.com. Try them.
  16. Thom

Merry Christmas to Me!

Cabinet is Gutted but... Not used to working on Solid State and these capacitor values. I work almost strictly on tube. (2000mfd @ 75vdc?? 0.15mfd @ 50vdc??) Guess I will have to put a few values together. I have not been too successfull with JustRadios, Parts Express, Sal's or Schmedley's...
  17. Thom

Merry Christmas to Me!

The left channel is dead so at least I know what I am working with now. I am going to have the cabinet restored while I have the guts on my bench... after I first finish my other 2 projects. I am so looking forward to this. :D
  18. Thom

Merry Christmas to Me!

I've been working for a pipe organ builder for over 20 years. We have about a hundred organs under our care in addition to the building and rebuilding. We call this the "tuning season" as most places want their organ tuned for Christmas.
  19. Thom

Merry Christmas to Me!

Thank you. It's Solid State. 120 watts EIA per channel so figure somewhat less in the real world. Still, impressive for a console. I saw a couple of youtube videos on this model. The changer is made in-house by Zenith and is, imho, one of the best made. I have a Philco 42-400 radio to...
  20. Thom

Merry Christmas to Me!

Just acquired an X960 Zenith!! :banana: It came out of a rectory basement at a church where I tune and maintain their pipe organ. Father said " Merry Christmas! I plan a full restoration. I have the changer service manual Z914. I am hoping to find an owner's manual or a scan of same that I...
  21. Thom

Required Viewing

He is a little shaky but I do pick up some good tips from him. :D
  22. Thom

Required Viewing

lucky.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLs7p0_1w8U :nono: For anyone thinking of plugging in that vintage tube amp or console they just picked up at the local thrift shop without restoring it... Always, always, cut those old capacitors out of the circuit. This guy was lucky...
  23. Thom

'64 Westinghouse Console Restored and Modified

:thmbsp: Very nice indeed!!
  24. Thom

Console ID

Maybe I should sell mine and pay the mortgage. :D A 1968 model, it sounds good but I've heard better as mine only sports 8 watts. I have a great emotional attachment to it though. I grew up with it. But I think the changer was one of the best. So easy on records and tracks a warped 45...
Back
Top Bottom