Search results

1. mikey3117

Realistic Mach 1 questions

I'd love to see some pics of the refinished cabinets. I've refinished many Mach Ones and kept the best of the lot. :)
  2. mikey3117

Just acquired a brand new Dahlquist DQ-LP1 Crossover!

The wood sides are in need of Feed-n-Wax. As soon as I get home, before I even eat dinner tonight...:)
  3. mikey3117

Found on eBay. Actually a local audio buddy sent me a link to the auction as I wasn't actively looking for one. I asked the seller about the story behind it and this was his response... "My father in law owned a hifi repair and sales shop in Chicago in the 70s and he passed away and I was left...
  4. mikey3117

I just had the oppurtunity to buy a brand new in the box Dahlquist DQ-LP1. Aside from the disintegrating packing inserts, all looks good. What's interesting is that it came with replacement or perhaps different value caps and resistors. I need to research that... I have been running a Dahlquist...
  5. mikey3117

Hate it when a Favorite Radio Station does a shake-up

I loved it when WKRP switched to Rock...:)
  6. mikey3117

Slow but sure RS 2.5 refurb

Great thread and resto job! I just restored a pair of RS 1.5's and love them!
  7. mikey3117

Do I really need to recap the Dahlquist DQ-10 crossover?

I wanted to bump my own thread from over a year ago to see if there's any fresh insight on this. I've been dragging my feet on tackling this recap since I'm really not sure whether it's necessary, other than the electrolytic. The speakers do sound very good as they are. I'm also hesitant to...
  8. mikey3117

Realistic STA 2000 or 2000D? Any good?

I'm not sure when Foster stopped building equipment for RS. I did work for RS in '88 and '89 in Cupertino, CA. The only real significant audio equipment I was selling at that point was the Mach Two, Minimus 7(W), CD-6000 CD changer and the STA-2380. The STA-2380, while has all the appearance of...
  9. mikey3117

I also have a mint STA-2290 in my Realistic collection (lol). It's an extremely well built receiver and in my opinion is the last of the big silver Realistic receivers. Not sure what caps it has but it's sound doesn't compare to the earlier Realistics.
  10. mikey3117

Dahlquist dq10's finally

Be careful with Regnar though... I was very fortunate to receive a small order I made 9 years ago but there's been many complaints in the past few years that orders are taking weeks, if not months to ship. I remember sending an email inquiring about a part and never heard anything back. Maybe...
  11. mikey3117

Dahlquist dq10's finally

I'm actually surprised that DQ-10's sell so cheaply. I know they are big and awkward but a properly functioning pair is one of the true vintage audio bargains. The imaging is to die for. When I listen to strings, vocals, it's life changing. My only complaint initially was a lack of low end...
  12. mikey3117

I also have a mint STA-2080 in my Realistic collection. Yep, same thing with the loudness control. To be honest, I think they designed it that way to provide a wow factor with the Mach Ones. I swear I could break windows with my STA-2100 and Mach Ones with that loudness button...:)
  13. mikey3117

Dahlquist dq10's finally

I bought and restored my Dahlquist DQ-10's with the matching crossover and sub about 9 years ago. I will never sell them. Incredible imaging and detail!
  14. mikey3117

I have a mint STA-2000 in my Realistic collection. A nice looking, and sounding receiver. The loudness button is a little too much as most Realistic receivers are from this era. And yes, what a wierd place to put the power button...:)
  15. mikey3117

Infinity RS 1.5 Speakers Restoration!

Thanks guys! I did a little more listening last night. The Beatles, Smithereens and Adele. These are very natural sounding and revealing speakers. I'm very impressed with these. A great find and project!
  16. mikey3117

I've wondered the same thing. One speaker was more out of spec than the other... I will say that the new caps did smooth out the midrange as well. That was immediately apparent.
  17. mikey3117

Project complete! I spent last night recapping the crossovers, which is no small feat considering they remained inside the cabinet for the project. This time around I picked up a capacitance meter for this project and future projects. When I removed the original electrolytics, I was curious to...
  18. mikey3117

A chocolate brown color from Simply Speakers. Seems to be very close to the original. I even used a little brass polish on the jewel like Infinity badges...
  19. mikey3117

Stax earspeakers

Add me to the list. I just picked up a pair myself. Sound great!
  20. mikey3117

Well guys I actually had some success this morning with removing the controls, taking them apart, and cleaning the contacts. As you can see in the pics, these were quite corroded. I initially used a 400 grit sandpaper and was able to get them fairly clean. I got them cleaned, lubed and...
  21. mikey3117

I actually just tracked down this thread and will give it a try tomorrow: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135605
  22. mikey3117

I need some help... I cleaned the level controls but the midrange control seems to have corroded and beyond repair. The tweeter control works as new. The midrange control appears to be a Rheostat. What can I replace it with? Do I need to replace it with the same or can I use an L-Pad from the...
  23. mikey3117

Realistic Optimus Mach 3's are done...:)

You can see what i did on my Mach Twos when I recapped them. The 33uf is huge but doable. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=515391&page=2
  24. mikey3117

Realistic Optimus Mach 3's are done...:)

I've posed the same question before in the forums and have been told there shouldn't be much of an audible difference if the new caps are close but not exact...
Back
Top Bottom