Search results

1. lawnerd

Making me feel old.

Indeed. I can't listen to Hip Hop or Rap and I dropped out of the "modern" music scene. But, even though I thought I was done with modern music, Phoebe Bridgers has awakened this old soul, and I have found a new love for new music. Thank you Phoebe.
  2. lawnerd

Hate to ask..best tt with auto cue/return

I can recommend two. Sony PS-X75. full auto, wonderful sound. This table will handle any and every cart I throw at it. I was even able to mount a heavy low compliance fidelity research FR-7 with a home made counter weight (two silver coins (24 grams total) drilled through the middle and...
  3. lawnerd

Linn Sondek LP12 feeding and upkeep question

I've had a Linn Sondek LP12 for about six years now. I've searched but haven't found a specific answer to my maintenance questions. 1. Do the springs wear out and need to be replace? I've had to adjust the springs over time. They are likely original (early 80s). Would new springs and...
  4. lawnerd

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

On cold days she would come running as soon as she heard music and would sack out on the monster marantz. Sadly, sold the marantz when I moved this past summer. Running a Bang and Olufsen system that uses powered speakers, no amp. Poor cat lost her warm friend.
  5. lawnerd

Sony PS-X75 problems

Have a PS-X75 that is my workhorse table. But lately it has been giving me a problem and I look to you to help with possible fixes. The problem is that sometimes, not all the time, but maybe half the time when I play a record using the automatic start the arm goes to the right spot but it...
  6. lawnerd

Marantz 2835 speaker relay help

Awesome! Thanks.
  7. lawnerd

Marantz 2835 speaker relay help

Hi. I need a replacement relay for my Marantz 2835. Service manual says it is a 48 volt relay (MSJ2). LY20488020. What relay can I use to replace the original? Anyone have a mouser or digikey number?
  8. lawnerd

Pioneer SX-1010 Re-capping / Restoration Question

Thanks Mark. From you, words of wisdom, always helpful, always appreciated. Best.
  9. lawnerd

Pioneer SX-1010 Re-capping / Restoration Question

I am in the process of recapping my SX1010. I used a pre-existing BOM that included a number of transistors. Do you all replace transistors as part of a re-capping? Are there particular transistors that should be replaced because of high failure rate? I did the power supply board and decided...
  10. lawnerd

Why no love for some gear?

It's a combination of factors that have all been mentioned, but bear repeating. 1) P & M were well regarded brands back in the day and they maintained their status with advertising and build quality, 2) many of us were priced out of the market for P & M but lusted after them, and 3) forty years...
  11. lawnerd

Onkyo TX-8500 Filter Caps

Perfect! Thanks for the info.
  12. lawnerd

Yep. That's what I got. See pic. I have bought into the re-capping hype but am still not completely convinced this is important. Versus the, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The receiver has no issues. Should I just let this be? What happens if a filter cap goes bad?
  13. lawnerd

Anyone know of a good replacement for the Filter caps for this beast? Also, never saw this before in my other receivers, but the filter caps have three terminals. Is there one negative and two positive terminals? Why three terminals? Does the replacement have to be the same, three terminal...
  14. lawnerd

pioneer sx-1010 indicator lamp help

Thanks. YIKES.
  15. lawnerd

pioneer sx-1010 indicator lamp help

I have a pioneer sx-1010, the phono 1 indicator lamp is out. Is there an easy way to get to and change the bulb? I had the front panel off and still thought it was not accessible. At least not from the front. How do you change the bulb?
  16. lawnerd

stereo lamp question

Great. Thanks for the input!
  17. lawnerd

Onkyo TX-8500 Help

Thanks. I went to check if it was the Klixon thermostat. I went to see if after the relay clicked out, if the thermostat was open or closed by measuring voltage on both sides of the thermostat. In doing this test on the right hand amp klixon, the relay clicked back open and has stayed that...
  18. lawnerd

stereo lamp question

My vintage Onkyo receiver has some blown bi-pin lamps. The service manual calls for 6.3 volts 50 mA for the lamps. I can't find any bulbs with this specific rating. Question, can I put in lamps that are 6.3 volts and 40 mA? What about 6.3 volts and 75 mA? Or would this burn or overheat?
  19. lawnerd

Onkyo TX-8500 Help

Just got my hands on an Onkyo TX-8500. The receiver starts up fine, the relay pops, and it will play for about 5 minutes. Then it seems the protection cuts out. It won't play (no sound), if you turn it off and on. But if you let it sit for five to ten minutes, it will play again for a bit (5...
  20. lawnerd

Marantz 2270 background hum

It may have had the hum before. Because of the re-cap I am perhaps overly critical. The filter caps are new with new by-pass caps. I can't imagine that they would be shot, unless they were sold that way. What are "shorting" plugs?
  21. lawnerd

Marantz 2270 background hum

Just recapped my 2270. It is working great, but for one issue. With the volume off there is a low, subtle, hum in the speakers. You have to be about 2 feet from the speakers to hear it. Doesn't matter what I have it set for. When I remover the pre-amp / amp jumpers, the hum goes away...
  22. lawnerd

CTF9191 help - loud noise left channel

Repeated activating the solenoid through the sensing tab did the trick. Thanks! When I deoxit the switches I normally have to squeeze my fat fingers in the gap between the board to actuate them. Next time, I'm going to add deoxit, then activate the solenoid through the tab to work the deoxit in.
  23. lawnerd

SX-1010 Bypass capacitors?

Perfect. Thanks!
Back
Top Bottom