Search results

1. Q

Klipsch Heresy Hoo ?

My ancient Heresy twins have no tags at all, and they sound just fine, and the sound is the only value that matters.
  2. Q

Wd-40 banned !!

One thing I use WD-40 for is to loosen up ear wax. A light spray, wait an hour, then boil it out with hydrogen peroxide. Cleanest ears this side of the moon. Getting rid of the last possible residue got rid of most of my tinnitus and greatly enhanced my enjoyment of music. Most people have a...
  3. Q

Rummage sale score!

Philmore is an old time American brand. They used to make all sorts of radio kits, SW, AM/FM, and apparently at least one stereo amp. The brand is still in business, if you can call it that, selling misc parts and accessories for audio and video, like HDMI cables, battery holders, wall plates...
  4. Q

Who designs your Earbud Headphones ?

I use a pair of Shure SE215K earbuds. I bought them due to the long audio history and reputation for quality of the Shure brand. I've used their microphones in ham radio for 40 years, and they are bulletproof. I have been seriously pleased with these buds. I am astonished at how they can get...
  5. Q

Do you ever envy people that are content with mediocre systems?

I'm alive and let live kind of guy. I have as good an audio system as I can afford, and I'm happy with that, even though I know that there are lots of gear that would humiliate my humble assemblage. I also choose to not envy anyone, it is a sin you know. Whether higher up or lower down the food...
  6. Q

Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a "hoarder".

I started being a hoarder back in the day, but I am into not only audio, but shortwave radio and ham radio and photography and computers and gardening and woodworking. SO.....I had to make a decision, either trim down and use the best in a particular field I was in and sell the rest, or get a...
  7. Q

My son says "Dad ... do you have an extra turntable?"

You should try some Doris Day. Seriously, one of the great female voices of the last 100 years.
  8. Q

What's your exit plan?

My wife will enjoy everything as is for years after I go ahead, then my daughter will use the system for years afterwards.
  9. Q

How does Sirius broadcast something recorded in 1972?

I had a boss so cheap he made us learn to read Braille to save money on electricity!
  10. Q

How do you protect your system

In 1995 I lost a Technics SA-5470 receiver and a Scott cassette deck to a strike in my front yard. I was standing in the living room, looking out the picture window when the bolt hit the ground right in front of me. Talk about blinded! I was no more than 10 feet from the bolt. It sounded like a...
  11. Q

JBL L15 Thrift Store Find

Those with an 8" or 10" sub would make a great system. Great find! Regards, QEMaster
  12. Q

Fairfax speakers ????

Well, now that you mention it......
  13. Q

Cats

A method I use for all my furniture, speakers, etc., is to get some long skinny balloons, like are used to make balloon animals, and attach them with tape to any surface I want the cats to leave alone. When they scratch and pop the balloons, it is as if God Himself told them to cease and desist...
  14. Q

woofer cone surface treatment

If you want to make those cones as black as possible, and put on as little mass as can be done, use some Kiwi liquid shoe polish. he liquid is almost all solvents that transport the dye, leaving almost no weight behind. I use it and have had great success with it. Best regards, QEMaster
  15. Q

Schiit Audio's new atomic-powered headphone amplifier!

According to the website it will be available for purchase in the year 2213. By then we'll have zero point power with no radiation. Kind of a premature product announcement. ;-)
  16. Q

Realistic Minimum 2.5

Those are excellent for communications speakers. Scanners, CB radios, ham radio, shortwave, etc. I used a pair of them with an RS amp and tuner, BOTL believe me, back in the day. It was better than nothing, and for background work-around-the-house music were good enough. I'd put the system on...
  17. Q

Can I Use PHONO Inputs for a AUX Input?

Here's an idea: get a small FM transmitter, the kind that transmit the audio from an MP3 player through your car radio. Rig up a 12VDC power supply for the transmitter, plug in the TV into the transmitter, then tune it in on the FM section of the all-in-one unit. It will not be 'hifi', but it...
  18. Q

Does new vinyl, 180g or otherwise

I average 2.5 a week, and I thought I had a problem!
  19. Q

Your experience with finding "Synergy"

The last unicorn magic I experienced is when I hooked my newly acquired Klipsch Hersheys to a cheapo Sony STR-DE197 receiver. ($99.95 on sale at Amazon) It is the best sounding combination of amp and speakers I have ever owned, and that includes Marantz, JBL, Technics, lots of stuff through the...
  20. Q

JVC does not get much respect

In 1995 I lost a Technics SA-5470 receiver to a nearly direct lightening strike. Absolutely fried it. Being in a $ tight spot, I bought a JVC FS-1000 all-in-one CD/AM/FM compact system. I hooked it to my JBL 630T speakers and it worked fine. Has all of 8 watts per channel. The JBLs are pretty...
  21. Q

need a source for special 2 inch speakers

If you can get a speaker that meets your needs, but just has the flange in the way, get a nibbler tool, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Nickel-Plated-Nibbling/dp/B0002KRACO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364257042&sr=8-1&keywords=sheet+metal+nibbling+tool You can take away the...
  22. Q

Supersonic Stereo

Makes me glad that I have such minor problems in my life.
  23. Q

Question to geeks -- Why do amps have so many parts?

Ref. 'dark sucker theory' A straight wire with infinite gain would blow up an infinite amount of speakers whilst melting an infinite amount of cryogenic cable. Could get expensive. Looking closer methinks it is less simplicity and more along the lines of extremely clever parts layout...
  24. Q

home away from home

I'm assuming that the radio uses a rooster recording for an alarm.
  25. Q

Funniest things found in electronics

He shoots, HE SCORES!
Back
Top Bottom