Search results

1. Trio

Acousta-Stuff - Stuffing - Question

With a couple pairs of speakers I built years ago, I used foam, and I made sure that the port opening was not covered in the process. I fitted it much as you would the foam speaker baffles when you put speakers in car doors. Out of curiosity I plugged the port from outside to see if it made...
  2. Trio

lifted solder pad, but connection is being made?

Depends on a few things. I generall clean off the lifted portion back to where it is anchored and then lay in a short length of wire and solder that down. this creates a bridge if for some reason that foil should tear in transit and can disipate the heat better if it is in an area where...
  3. Trio

Electronic Drum Modifications

What may have been the concern is the "attack" phase of the drum signal is largely a square waveform. If the actual output from the drum set is just square waves, the speaker cone stops abruptly at the peak and "held" until the wave form starts back down towards the zero point or zero crossing...
  4. Trio

Amplifier mod

Those two caps are providing a low resistance/reactance path to ground for higher frequencies. Start with the smaller value first (C18.) The amp should be fine and the upper frequencies should be opened up. The 6C5/6J5 tubes are excellent audio tubes and can operate well above into RF range...
  5. Trio

Newmar 115-12-8 Power Supply help

Rectifiers may have shorted out, the regulator may finis. If it were mine, and I salvaged a supply that was in a similar condition a few years back. I simply isolated the transformer windings to see what voltage that was and built my own rectifier bridge and regulator. in the long run it was...
  6. Trio

Ampex a423

As a general rule, with something that age, is best to replace all the electrolytics, replace any selenium rectifiers if present, and repair power cord if needed. Setting it up for streaming music is as simple a cord from your music source into the "AUX" inputs. If some additional gain is...
  7. Trio

Recapped a Martel FAX-150C receiver and lost the right channel

First check for voltage at pins 1 and 6 of the 12AX7's, and pin 7 of each EL84/6BQ5's. These will give you some idea of the B voltages and where to look next. If one of the voltages is nonexistent, trace the red wires from that point back into the power supply and make sure it is not connected...
  8. Trio

Grundig Majestic Suggestions

Restore it or sell it. The BSR is not original, but is tollerable. They are fused, and they have a voltage selector. It is possible the main filter cap shorted out and burned up a power resistor. You should have an input for a tape recorder/deck and a line level output for the recording input.
  9. Trio

My first Hickok

Or do what the techs did when these were reltively new- use "Chicken feet". While it looks cramped to get at those 2 caps, it is more spacious than a "Pocket Scope" I recapped a couple years ago. While clipping wires at the body and then soldering the new cap to the leads is an option, if you...
  10. Trio

Accurate tonality

Actually, I have pulled a few tube amps out of phonographs, and the only "real" priblems other than available power from 35C5/50C5, 50EH7/60EH7, 25L6,35L6/50L6, 6AR5, is their initial uses which were low power amplifiers (Flea Power) and general availability and the fact many people turn their...
  11. Trio

Warning about using a hot glue gun.

Which is why you should be familiar with the tools and materials you use. The problem with using silicone is that it is conductive until it is cured. When I have restuffed the can type caps, I usually do not pot them, but I do take time to make sure the point of separation is concealed and...
  12. Trio

Accurate tonality

The ultimate answer to your question is this- "what sounds best to you?" Everyone listens for different things, different aspects of a certain type of music.
  13. Trio

Recapped a Martel FAX-150C receiver and lost the right channel

It is possible lead dress is an issue, if some of the electrolytics are "newish" they could be bad, sometimes even new caps can be bad from the factory- though a bit rare. if the "newish caps" are less than 1 microfarad, those that are apparent in pictures should be okay, only time there is...
  14. Trio

Tube reverberation amplifier?

The signal path is actually sent through the spring. You may not hear much until you turn volume up a bit and play the right kind of music. Some music it will sound like an extended sustain. Maximum reverb response sounds simliar to yelling down a corrogated culvert. If you don't hear...
  15. Trio

GE RC1650 amplifier signal path break, PEC suspected (SE 6AQ5 +12AX7)

Flip the amp over, set a flourescent light close by CFL will do, and do "noise injection". Follow the signal path back from the working stage- if not known, start at the output tube and work towards the input. Place the tip of a screwdriver (ideally with plastic handle.) on the signal grid of...
  16. Trio

Sherwood S-8000IV - hum in phono/tape inputs

The reason those caps less than 1 microfarad can be left alone is the way they are made and are materially different from the electrolytics. Those that are in your Sherwood are high quality polyester capacitors, even by today's standards though some manufacturing processes have seen...
  17. Trio

Identify RCA 6SN7 or 5692????

RCA branded tubes from the 50's into the 60's had the reddish brown printing, yellow printing and white printing on them. The colors may have had an internal meaning within the company. It should be a perfectly fine 6SN7. It might be that it was left over from a government contract buy that...
  18. Trio

Help to build this 48 to 9V adaptor

Whatever.:butt2::butt1: You have not contributed a thing to the discussion at all except criticism:butt2::butt1:- and you seem to be the only who cares about pointless minutae in this thread:butt2::butt1:- I have better things to do than have a battle of witts with someone who is unarmed and...
  19. Trio

Amplifier mod

Remove (C)18. The small ceramic disk cap (the 00022 capacitor) off the plate of the 6J5 to ground. And (C)22 the .001 cap to ground. This "may" affect stability, but only by a small chance. Just do them one at a time and starting with C18 These 2 capacitors are responsible for the weak treble.
  20. Trio

Acousta-Stuff - Stuffing - Question

The quilt batting is a very loose "fabric" that air can move through it easily unlike foams and fiberglass, yet it deadens the reverberations that create that plastic sound effect when no damping material is used. I switched over to it years ago after having used eurethane foam almost exclusively.
  21. Trio

Headphone amp issue.

You might try adding a 1 meg resistor so that when you flip the stage switch off- the circuit that is losing power by that action then has an alternate route to discharge to ground rather than through any path it can find (ie haedphones) and a reverse biased rectifier parallel to it to handle...
  22. Trio

Tube tuner questions?

In most cases with tube tuners, if the stations are being found in only one location on the dial, and you have channel separation- there is no need to try alignement. Those old tuners are quite easy to peak the tuning on them, and this thread...
  23. Trio

Worn-out tubes and power output question

Chronological age of a tube is not going to affect them too much if not in use, I still have a number of boxed JAN units from the 50's. When in use- if older stock units of US origin, they can be in service for a few thousand hours before they test low. When they get down to about the 40 range...
  24. Trio

Tube reverberation amplifier?

X2 on blhagstrom said. However- you may find adding a second set of rear speakers with that unit feeding that rear pair will give you a better audio effect to make a live recording sound more like you are there.
  25. Trio

Accurate tonality

It depends on the amp, the capacitors used, the speakers as well. With the new tubes from Russia or China, the 7189 is most likely repakaged 6L6 GC's- not a real problem, and something some US manufacturers did. And I have a "mismatched" (One old stock US and one Russian) 7189 in one channel...
Back
Top Bottom