Search results

1. Dusty Chalk

Bought a new Glock the other day

Think of it as a subcategory for "off topic".
  2. Dusty Chalk

speakers that image well

I've heard floorstanding B&W Matrix (don't remember exact model number) speakers image really well with the right amplification (Electrocompaniet). I've also had out-of-box experiences with my silly little Spendor S3/5's. I think a lot of it has to do with (a) the whole system, and (b) set up.
  3. Dusty Chalk

How long does it take for your Lava Lamp...

A good hour from cold.
  4. Dusty Chalk

Anyone use Tube / Valve Dampers?

I have a friend of mine who uses the Herbies -- I would endorse those.
  5. Dusty Chalk

Recommended budget digital coax cable?

Just get whatever -- if it's not defective, it should work just fine. I use Hosa. I was going to get the stuff at Ratshack that was something insane like 30 feet for $30, but never got around to it. I doubt there's much difference at this price point.
  6. Dusty Chalk

Music or Not?

I can live without music...but I would not be "...just as happy". And I am certainly not going to try and find out.
  7. Dusty Chalk

Using a big DVD player as a CD player

That should be a setting that you can change if you attach it to a TV.
  8. Dusty Chalk

Using a big DVD player as a CD player

It depends on how you're going to be using them. Some of them are good, but a lot of them don't play CD's as well as DVD's. If you're going to connect it digitally to a home theater receiver, then it's even less likely to matter, as you're not even using half the electronics that are in there...
  9. Dusty Chalk

WAF I may have pushed the limit

On a scale of 1 to 10, that may be a negative...
  10. Dusty Chalk

"octopus"...

Wow, that's a lot of boat.
  11. Dusty Chalk

Ubuntu?

Ubuntu! Oui, I use it at home.
  12. Dusty Chalk

New Laserdiscs in the House

Yeah, nice haul!
  13. Dusty Chalk

Small speakers with a tube amp

Yeah, sure, they'll work. I've run Spendor S3/5's from a 102B, sounded great! But then, I listened to them in the nearfield, so I didn't have to crank it up too loud.
  14. Dusty Chalk

New to tubes need a little guidance

Your second option will work just fine.
  15. Dusty Chalk

My music memories are being ruined by TV

Although I agree with the premise in general (I've even said it myself), I believe there's more to it than that. I believe there's an entire subpopulation of people who hunger for new music, and whose tastes do not fit that particular statistic, and I believe quite a few of them are drawn to...
  16. Dusty Chalk

Upsampling

Yeah, Wadia is one of the companies I was thinking of when I said, "there are several companies that use the words interchangeably..." They've been using oversampling, but not upsampling in the digital domain in the meaning used in the original article. It adds to the confusion rather than the...
  17. Dusty Chalk

Upsampling

Also, one of the key factors in upsampling is that it is done in the digital domain -- if it isn't done, that "connecting of the dots" still happens in the analog domain, it's called "filtering". The theory behind upsampling is the hopes that that interpolation is done more accurately in the...
  18. Dusty Chalk

Upsampling

It's really not that different from line-doubling. There are probably as many ways to do it as there are products on the market, and some of them are better than others. I do like upsampled CD. That said, I would rather have a decent non-upsampling DAC than a sucky DAC with upsampling (and I...
  19. Dusty Chalk

No Audiophiles Allowed

Audiophile, and not ashamed of it. Though I carry my own definition (which, admittedly, is not too different from the one at the top of the Wiki link).
  20. Dusty Chalk

Hottest Female Singers

It's probably that word, "singer", there in the subject line.
  21. Dusty Chalk

My music memories are being ruined by TV

Dang. Just...dang. (wanders off to look up "effetism")
  22. Dusty Chalk

Favorite Bottled Beer

Rogue -- Dead Guy for "everyday drinking" (I don't drink every day, but the next stuff I'm about to list is a little too heavy for anything other than special occasions); Mocha Porter or Shakespeare Stout for special occasions.
  23. Dusty Chalk

Hottest Female Singers

Tori Amos Kate Bush Toni Halliday (Curve) Shirley Manson (Garbage) Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gathering) Kristy Venrick (The Azoic) Madeleine Peyroux Melissa Auf Der Maur (she's a lead singer now, though she wasn't in Hole) Heather Thompson (Tapping the Vein)...
Back
Top Bottom