Search results

1. hobbit

A general transistor matching question

I'm working on a few old Technics amps at the moment and some transistors in the power amp section look somewhat heat damaged. They are of course unobtanium and most of the eBay units are fakes. I have used on line matching sites and there are a number of alternatives . Looking through them I...
  2. hobbit

Amp running cooler

I've just replaced the power supply capacitors in my 1985 Technics SU V10x with a set of Kemet 10000 uf caps from mouser. As well as that I reflowed a lot of dodgy looking solder joints, checked values of other components , but didn't replace as the amp sounded good and the selection I checked...
  3. hobbit

Electrolytic capacitor reforming

I know this topic comes up from time to time and the theory of using a variac, or removal from the device to slowly reform old caps. But, recent experience fixing amplifiers that have remained unused for decades makes me wonder if this actually happens anyway. I'm not talking about ancient...
  4. hobbit

Late ninetees early noughties minisytems

I recently picked up a 1998 Sony DHC md333 and matching tape deck on fleabay for very little and was amazed at the sound out of it. The heads needed a clean in the tape deck and the MD was showing c13 error but a clean and both were fine. Cost me £50 delivered in the UK. Tape deck , FM/am tuner...
  5. hobbit

? blown trannie

A number of years ago I bought a Tangent 100 system for next to nothing - discounted end of line stock brand new I think DAB radio , amp and cd player cost me under £100 The amp has blown a main fuse recently - Simples I thought replaced the fuse and blown again The fuse is in between the...
  6. hobbit

Xduoo X10

I have an X3 by the same company, and their first flac player , the x2 The x10 is a whole other level Excellent on board DAC with a digital optical out as well as line out and headphones. The phones out even includes and high and low gain switch that you can adjust depending on your phone...
  7. hobbit

Russian 6H9c / 6H7c tubes

Bit of advice I thought I had ordered a set of russian 6h9c tubes, but had actually ordered 6h7c They look very similar but there is one pin missing on the 7cs I think they are both dual triode Are they compatible ? Anyone know
  8. hobbit

Boyuu A9 EL34 Chinese singled ended tube amp

Just bought one of these after messing about with little bear, little dot stuff. It is probably the cheapest of the assembled EL34 single ended pentode (runs in ultralinear but easy to convert to triode mode) Im running mine with standard tubes and it sounds superb No hum, build looks really...
  9. hobbit

Norweigan Prog anyone?

I`m not a huge fan of the vocals , but the music is very reminiscent of Pink Floyd and early Porcupine Tree. I bought The Greatest Show on earth on 180gm vinyl and its a wonderful album. Only just discovered these guys, but if you like Pink Floyd they are worth checking out...
  10. hobbit

surprisingly effective

I bought a Pioneer BDP150 bluray player as it was hackable to play my dvd-a discs and the hack also made it multiregion for dvd and bluray. I have it connected to my Onkyo A9050 via the digital coaxial cable. Currently listening to Anathema Judgement I`m amazed at how good this cd...
  11. hobbit

Amplfier running hot?

I have my system inside an old wooden wine rack. Its a nice piece of furniture and keeps the system out of view which keeps the other half happy. The front and sides are partially open, but airflow is poor, so amps tend to run warm. Onkyo AV equipment seems to have a rep for running hot...
  12. hobbit

Just got my Onkyo A9050

Arrived today. I was going to buy it and the Yamaha universal player together, but funds not allowing that at the moment. Thoughts.... Its a much "brighter" amp than my old technics. Bass initially I thought wasnt great until I clicked the bass "phase" button. Now sounds great, esp at...
  13. hobbit

Amplifier break in?

Might seem like a silly question, but does the sound of an amplifier improve with time? I am using a pro amp as my power amp. This was always surplus to requirements and sat unused in a rack case before I gave it home audio duties. I`d swear it sounds better now than it did with no EQ...
  14. hobbit

Steven Wilson, the raven that refused to sing

My deluxe copy arrived today (two CD and DVD plus bluray) Utterly brilliant album. Yes, there are the jazzy interludes of the last outing , but on the whole a more rounded musical outing than the last solo effort. Stand out track for me is the watchmaker. I know there are some lovers of...
  15. hobbit

Yippee.....just changed a laser pickup

My Philips CD recorder has been sitting in my loft for the past 8 years after the laser finally died a death. It had been problematic for some time before this. I remember at the time looking high and low for a replacement laser pickup with no success. I tried again out of interest recently...
  16. hobbit

variable crossovers

I recently replace my tweeters in an old set of speakers . The new tweeters are excellent but are a little more forward than I would like. I can eq most of the difference out , but I saw these on ebay...
  17. hobbit

New toy ordered.

I must admit to being a big fan of stand alone recorders, coming from the age of the portable cassette multitrack. This little beast is a nice combined stand alone , DAW and control interface. I have been asked to do some recording for my daughter`s school, and I really dont want to...
  18. hobbit

Behringer DEQ2496

Well arrived today. I tried the auto EQ function, didnt set the levels correctly and promptly fried my tweeters. Not overly bothered as I had been intending to change them for a better match to the new woofers. Been playing around with it this evening and with trial and errror have...
  19. hobbit

technics bias adjustment

I have a meter that measures current that I use for adjusting bias on valve guitar amps. It is likely that the bias has drifted on my hi fi amp, but I would like to check it. I dont have a schematic but have identified the postion of the trim pots on the board. Anyone any idea of voltage...
  20. hobbit

LED VU meter/technics computer drive replacement bulbs/lamps

Anyone know the voltage of these? I am looking to replace the non functioning computer drive lamp on my Technics SU V10X. The thing is currently soaking in deoxit so I cant check the voltage. Are they 12 or 24 volt? I`m going to replace it with a car dashboard LED lamp for longevity
  21. hobbit

re-capping advice

At least two of the original electrolytics look to be leaking in my old Technics. I am going to try replacing them and see how things go. These are the originals http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc144/docjonty/panasonic%20amp/2011-09-04164129.jpg I cant find 71 volt 10,000uf 85...
  22. hobbit

Onkyo A-9050 , opinions sought

I`m in the market for a new amplifier and my budget is around 300gbp. I have been considering the Yamaha AS 700 , but wondered also about the Onkyo A 9050. The digital input and built in DAC is attractive (I`m not trying to put together a high end system here) Has anyone experience of...
  23. hobbit

Technics SU V60

I picked one of these up today for £40 It hasnt seen much use in years and after a good clean inside and out including the pots is sounding brilliant. I am going to have a good look around my SU V10X and see if I can work out why the left channel volume and sound quality is lower. I`m...
  24. hobbit

OK then ...recommend me an amp

If you check my profile you will see another post where I describe my current set up which is basically a crutch to keep my ancient Technics amp going until I can a. afford b. decide which amp I should replace it with. Having two kids in higher education and one at school, means...
  25. hobbit

Professional amplifiers in home hi-fi

More by accident than design I have ended up using a professional PA amp in my home system. I have an old Technics SU V10X that I have owned from nearly new. It was at the time, one of their most expensive amps , providing a true 120watts pc at 8 ohms. It was also one of the much trumpeted "New...
Back
Top Bottom