Search results

1. G

ADCOM Preamps ?

The GFP-715 is also a fine little unit. I used one for three years after my Crown IC-150 started failing. I listened to at least four other comparable preamps and the Adcom is really unsurpassed in its price range. (Yes, it sounded significantly better than the Crown)
  2. G

Does Anyone here NOT own a Television?

I put my TV in the closet 8 years ago. Doing so gave me back a lot of time for more pleasant and useful things. I listen to much more music, read a lot more, and spend more fulfilling time in my workshop. And I have to say that it’s important to avoid the flood tide of low-brow nonsense...
  3. G

Mixed Speaker Experiment

Yes, steveo137, thanks. They are: EV S-1503ER And the RCF SCD-6000 are studio monitors so they are flat. I hadn’t tried the EVs in my stereo since I thought of them as PA speakers. From past experience with other units I felt that PA speakers can be a little harsh or ‘metallic’ for home CD...
  4. G

Mixed Speaker Experiment

I have been using a pair of RCF SCD-6000 studio monitors (12” woofer, 4” mid, and 1” tweeter) for my main stereo unit. I also have a set of EV S-1503ER ( 15” woofer, 6” vented mid-range with a 7” magnet, and 1” horn tweeter) which I use with my Yamaha S90-ES for work with bands. I decided to...
  5. G

JBL 4345

Clearly, (I thought), it was never my intention to use just "'any" speaker or compression driver. However, I have more or less decided that, if I'm going to reproduce a set of 4345s, then I will try to gather and refurbish the 2245H, 2122H, and the 2421B. I'm guessing that that will be a real...
  6. G

JBL 4345

hjames Thanks, that's very helpful! Bi-amping as a way out of some of the network difficulties, cool! My only concern would be that an active crossover (with it's power supply) and extra connections could possibly induce some noise in the system. I am just now purchasing a very good Conrad...
  7. G

JBL 4345

Guys, thanks for your insights, and I will check out Lansing heritage. Hey John, (jobrewer1983) I'm curious, can you suggest a couple of speaker sets that you think are superior to the JBL 4345? I listen to mostly classical music. Orchestral stuff and big band jazz are a real challenge for...
  8. G

JBL 4345

Hi Jeffery thanks for your replies. A speaker-building neophyte here looking for clarification. Let's see, 'load," as long as speakers are the same ohm rating the load is the same, yes? ( As well as trying to find modern speakers with similar sonic characteristics.) Networks: if resistors and...
  9. G

JBL 4345

o.k. But let's put notions of "purity" aside temporarily. It's the sound and the looks that I'm after. Surely, modern audio engineers can reverse engineer speakers that JBL made 30 years ago. Speaker manufacturing is not voodoo...or is it? So my question remains: if the box and baffling, and...
  10. G

JBL 4345

Hello everyone, I am planning to build a replica of the JBL 4345. These units use the JBL 2245H, 2122H, and the 2421B compression driver. I intend to replicate the box dimensions, baffles, and networks exactly. However, instead of trying to find the old speakers and have them re-coned and...
  11. G

Upgrades

Hi Gents: My Present setup: Speakers: Eastern Acoustic Works SCD-6000 3-way Studio Monitors 12” - 4” - 1 ¼ (adjustable “focus” for mid-range and tweeter) (Speakers & crossovers by Eastern Acoustic Works – Boxes by RCF) Preamp: Adcom GFP715 Amp: Emotiva XPA-2 500W per into 4 ohms I...
  12. G

Anyone have info on RCF SCD 6000 ?

Hello everyone! New guy here; I'v been reading these forums for several years and decided to join. I have used a pair of the SCD-6000s for over twelve years. They sound and look as good as the day I bought them. Several pieces of the gear running into them has changed during that time – from...
Back
Top Bottom