Search results

1. MCM_Fan

Technics SL-150 MK2 with Syntec S-220 Tonearm General Questions

I just picked up a Technics SL-150 MK2 with a Syntec S-220 (also called Japan Piezo PU-402) tonearm and a Stanton 500 cartridge. This was formerly in broadcast use (until at least 1986), but is overall quite clean and fully operational. I have downloaded the manual for both the turntable and...
  2. MCM_Fan

PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP with KEF 104/2 Reference Series

I am in the process of moving and downsizing. I am currently driving a pair of restored KEF 104/2 Reference Series speakers with a Bryston 4BSST power amp and a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp. I love this combo as the Bryston has more power than I will ever need and the Sonic Frontiers...
  3. MCM_Fan

Sonic Frontiers Line 1 vs. Cary SLP-03

Assuming the cost to purchase each used is roughly the same, which would you prefer and why? Since someone may ask, here's the rest of my gear. This is a dedicated vinyl system with two turntables and two external phono stages. Table 1 = VPI HW-19 Mark3 with a Dynavector 20x2L cartridge Phono...
  4. MCM_Fan

Help Me Bring My Forte I Speakers to Life!

Greetings Klipsch fans! I am a long time AK member, but this is my first time posting in the Klipsch Korner sub-forum. Two days ago, I picked up a pair of Forte I speakers. I got a good deal on them as one woofer and both tweeters appeared dead. Sorting the woofer was easy. One of the leads...
  5. MCM_Fan

Budget Phono Stage Options for Denon DL-301 MkII LOMC Cartridge

Synopsis: I am looking for a low cost, best bang for the buck, phono stage solution for a Denon DL-301 MkII LOMC cartridge. In my experience, this cartridge sounds best with a gain in the 60dB range with an input impedance between 330 and 470 ohms. This will be for my secondary turntable...
  6. MCM_Fan

New Large Advents (Bullnose Cabinets) Restoration Questions

Tagging @Pete B and @Doug G. for their vast Advent knowledge... I just picked up a pair of (what I think are) New Large Advents in the bullnose cabinets last week and am getting ready to start the restoration process. But first, some questions... 1) Are these actually New Large Advents? As...
  7. MCM_Fan

MTV Airing Nirvana and Pearl Jam Unplugged Concerts Tonight (6/26/2020)

I haven't personally watched anything on MTV since sometime in 1985, but have my DVR set to record these two tonight: MTV announces it will air the unplugged Pearl Jam and Nirvana Check your local listings for times. I have Nirvana MTV Unplugged in New York on both CD and vinyl and it's a...
  8. MCM_Fan

Parasound JC3 Jr Phono Stage

Anyone else running one of these? Until the quarantine, I'd only ever used the built-in phono stage in my vintage Yamaha A-1000. It's a highly regarded discrete phono stage, but lately I've been feeling that it's overdue for a recap (both the phono stage and the rest of the amp). My first...
  9. MCM_Fan

Two Turntables and a Power Amp

I've been playing around today with my dedicated vinyl listening rig. I recently realized my goal of running two turntables side by side in this system. Today, I dug out my partially restored GAS Son of Ampzilla power amp and paired it with a recently acquired Nikko Beta III preamp. I have also...
  10. MCM_Fan

CNC Phono Stage vs. other Inexpensive Options

Last night I finished building a CNC phono stage. This has been a popular DIY phono stage here on AudioKarma for several years, so I assume many of you have heard it and possibly compared it to other inexpensive phono stages. This is my first stand alone phono stage. Previously, I've used the...
  11. MCM_Fan

Which JICO SAS on Shure V15 Type IV or Type V?

I'm considering getting a JICO SAS for one of my Shure V15 cartridges. Over the past year, I've kind of fallen backwards into two V15 cartridges. They both came on tables I purchased, but neither had the original stylus. One is a V15 Type V (the original, not the Vx) and the other is a Type IV...
  12. MCM_Fan

Parts Connexion is Open for Business and Shipping Orders

For all of you DIYers looking to complete some projects during this time of isolation and social distancing, Parts Connexion is open for business and shipping orders. They had temporarily suspended shipping orders wile they sorted out how to best protect their employees and customers, but have...
  13. MCM_Fan

GEM Dandy R.C.C. or Herbie's Way Excellent II on a Harmon Kardon T60

I have purchased a second Harman Kardon T60 and the original mat is dried out, hard and brittle. My other T60 has a 5mm Herbie's Way Excellent II on it, and I have no complaints, but I have great respect for George Merrill and have read positive reviews of the GEM Dandy mat. The original...
  14. MCM_Fan

Adding RCA Jacks to a Technics SL-1401

As a little project to kill some time, I plan to add some RCA jacks and a ground lug to my Technics SL-1401 to replace the original captive interconnect cables. My Harman Kardon T60 came this way from the factory, and I like this feature. A few months back I made several pairs of double...
  15. MCM_Fan

Weird Technics Tonearm Alignment Issue

I just encountered a strange tonearm alignment issue on a Technics SL-1401. Just to be clear this is NOT the typical cartridge alignment issue, it specifically relates to the tonearm and was causing a functional issue. About a week and a half ago, I picked up an SL-1401 off craigslist. This...
  16. MCM_Fan

New to Me Marantz 125

Picked up this little beauty at Echo Audio in Portland today. What a beautiful looking, beautiful sounding little tuner! Picking up the matching 140 power amp on Thursday. Very nostalgic for me. My very first piece of audio gear was a Marantz 1030 integrated amp when I was 18. I had it...
  17. MCM_Fan

Signet TK1N Stylus with Collapsed Suspension - Retip/Repair or Replace

I just picked up a vintage Signet TK5E cartridge last night. It came with the original Signet TKN1 stylus (0.2 x 0.7, nude, square shank). Unfortunately, the suspension has gone soft. Even with the VTF set at 1.0g, the plastic body of the stylus rubs on the surface of the record being played...
  18. MCM_Fan

Nagaoka MP-200 on a Yamaha PX-2 (Or PX-3)?

Is anyone running a Nagaoka MP-200 on a Yamaha PX-2 (or a PX-3, since it shares the same tonearm)? I picked up a PX-2 a few weeks ago, but have been traveling and haven't had a chance to use it. It came with an incorrectly set up Grado Black, but I'd like something better for this table. I've...
  19. MCM_Fan

Vienna Acoustics Bachs - a Little Help, Please

From the files of: "You Can Never Have Too Many Speakers"... These followed me home this afternoon: Vienna Acoustics Bachs (the originals, not the Bach Grands) in rosewood. I noticed when I picked them up that they had a round hole in the bottom and were threaded for spikes, which were not...
  20. MCM_Fan

Snell Type K/II - Help Me Choose Grill Cloth Color

I recently picked up a pair for Snell Type K/II speakers. After restoration, they are destined for my office at work. The walnut veneer cabinets need some light sanding and fresh oil. The grills have a few minor snags and one has a 3/8" diameter hole front and center - necessitating...
  21. MCM_Fan

Snell Type K/II - Which Woofers do I Have and What Surrounds do I Need?

Picked up a pair of Snell Type K/II today. The foams are shot. I've done some research on these and it looks like most used woofers from either Vifa or Peerless, but there are also mentions of SEAS and Boston Acoustics woofers being used. I removed one of the woofers, expecting to see some...
  22. MCM_Fan

Quick Question for the Shure Experts: Ne95ED Stylus on an M75E Cartridge

I think it will work, but just want to be sure. Any reason a Shure NDC form factor stylus won't work on a Shure M75E form factor cartridge? Specifically an Ne95ED stylus on a Shure Realisitc R700E cartridge. I know the NDC form factor styli were intended for the newer V-shaped Shure cartridge...
  23. MCM_Fan

RCA Plugs for Belden LC-1 (Blue Jeans Cable)?

About six months ago, I picked up a pair of 10' long Blue Jeans Cable interconnects at my local Goodwill. I don't really need anything that long. So, I want to cut them down and make three pairs 3' interconnect cables. I'm looking for some nice, but inexpensive non-locking RCA plugs for this...
  24. MCM_Fan

Interconnect Cables for a Harman Kardon T60

I picked up a Harman Kardon T60 yesterday. It came with the original disc stabilizer, but not the original cables. The original brochure for the T60 describes the included cables as: "Ultra-low capacitance detachable gold-tipped cables". This is what they looked like: I actually dig the...
  25. MCM_Fan

Son of Ampzilla vs. Nakamichi PA-5 vs. Yamaha MX-800U

I'm considering three different power amps for my vinyl based system. I rotate a variety of vintage speakers in and out of the system, but am currently enjoying something a little more modern - KEF LS50s. I've been looking at a number of preamps, but have zeroed in on a Nakamichi CA-5 due to...
Back
Top Bottom