Search results

1. pete1729

How bad did I screw up putting in a capacitor backwards in my MAC 1900?

I removed cap I ruined and put back the original not-bulging one. It was not shorted when I checked it by itself.
  2. pete1729

The top was bulging and the plastic sheath was wrinkled on top as well. It looks like it has over heated in the past. I need to build a DBT for this location. I'll combine it with a variac after I replace a few pieces.
  3. pete1729

The only odd thing that shows up is that testing R503 (2.2K resistor adjacent to the reversed cap) shows a dead short when tested in circuit. It's sibling R502 tests fine in circuit. The diodes really ought to be removed to test them properly. If I'm going to go to that length I'd prefer to just...
  4. pete1729

I have the old caps, one of which I presume is good. I was considering dropping it in, at least for now. Does it make sense to remove both caps, turn it on and check the voltage coming of the rectifier circuit?
  5. pete1729

I had a single bulging cap in my power supply, so I sought to replace both of them. Like an idiot I put one in backwards: one was a negative ground, the other was positive ground. I tuned it on and the fuse blew. I figured out the mistake quickly. I flipped the cap around and put in a new fuse...
  6. pete1729

Question about power supply capacitors for a MAC 1900. Can you look at two choices and give an opinion?

Thanks everyone! I ordered the Kemets with confidence. Less than half the price of CDE.
  7. pete1729

Question about power supply capacitors for a MAC 1900. Can you look at two choices and give an opinion?

One of the big caps in my MAC 1900 is bulging a little and it doesn't sound right. Below are two possible replacements, the only two stocked by Mouser that are drop in replacements. The Kemet is half the price of the CDE and seems to have better specs. Any reason not to go with the Kemet...
  8. pete1729

"ALTEC-LANSING 515B 16-ohm Magical 15" Woofers

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. Can you give some more context here? What sort of horns were the 515 intended for or used in?
  9. pete1729

Any point in recapping HPM-60 crossovers with film caps?

I'm partway through parting out a pair of HPM-60s. They were a thrift store find. They had trashed cabinets and the super tweeters were dead. I normally don't do this sort of thing, I repair stuff. So far the guy who got the woofers was relieved, and the guy who go the midrange drivers was...
  10. pete1729

Can anyone identify the equipment in this photo of Louis Armstrong?

Hey now, thanks. This certainly looked earlier than the Tandberg set up. The Audiokarma link was a shallow rabbit hole revealing the amp to be an EICO HF32. It was a mono integrated that had a quad of EL84s in PPP.
  11. pete1729

Can anyone identify the equipment in this photo of Louis Armstrong?

The picture shows Armstrong in front of a few items. The R2R decks may be the Tandbergs his wife bought for him. The amp has an EICO vibe.
  12. pete1729

New to me Speakerlab K's!

I would love to get my hands on a pair of modern crossovers. Even building them myself would be expensive though.
  13. pete1729

Which taps can I use, and which taps should I use? Marantz 8b and SpeakerLab Khorns.

6.8 ohms DCR. I've gone back to the 8 ohm taps, they just sound better.
  14. pete1729

Which taps can I use, and which taps should I use? Marantz 8b and SpeakerLab Khorns.

Ok then. I got SpeakerLab K-horns. I assumed they were nominal 8 ohm because most everything was at the time. They sounded good. I put new caps in the crossovers, they sounded really good. So I rearranged the room to get more air around the speakers. I also did some more research. It turns out...
  15. pete1729

Earnestly seeking a tube tester ID today. The sale goes off tomorrow morning early.

The deal is full price today, 25% off tomorrow, and half price the day after. At 3:00 on the last day they auction whatever is left. We'll see how I feel Saturday afternoon, maybe I'll drive down there again. There were boxes and boxes of tubes. Out of at least a thousand tubes, there were...
  16. pete1729

Earnestly seeking a tube tester ID today. The sale goes off tomorrow morning early.

Thanks everyone. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and motored an hour south. I was first in line at 6:30 for the 8 o'clock sale. There were boxes of tubes, five tube testers, and a couple of Halicrafter radios; I thought there would be a bigger turn out. It turns out I was the only one there for...
  17. pete1729

Thanks. It seems like this is a diversely capable machine.
  18. pete1729

Ok. It's WE/Hickock KS-15560-L1. Between this and the KS-15874‐L2, which would be more desirable? The 15874 takes punch cards. More convenient to use, but more maintenance to keep operational. The 15560 is based on the Hickock 539A so far as I can tell.
  19. pete1729

It has a Hickock 539 look. It may be the RD Instruments 1575 variant.
  20. pete1729

This is the best picture I could get through the window. One is a Hickock KS-15874-L2. There's another one just beyond it. There's 4 or 5 of them at the sale, and six boxes of tubes.
  21. pete1729

Straight up; this rig is just sublime. That's a Dual 1218 subbed in for the Thorens and it's prohibitively proprietary Shure M222 tonearm. Oddly enough both the Dual and the Thorens came with the Marantz equipment. Perhaps the previous owner was already wise. Suffice it to say, I really like the...
  22. pete1729

Well I got fresh caps and side panels onto one speaker. I have to say it sounds more coherent. The other speaker has a slightly different crossover. It has the 160 hz notch filter comprising a 9 mh coil and 100uf capacitor.
  23. pete1729

Beta Sound Incorporated

So do you still love them a month later? They look great.
Back
Top Bottom