Search results

1. Son-of-Vere

OL Advent questions, please

What about the switch? if it's open, it goes to "decreased". Or does the tweeter have no output?
  2. Son-of-Vere

VERY amateur woofer repair

The weight of the heat shrink will apply a lot of force to the tinsel causing it to break off right where the heat shrink ends. The tinsel should just be replaced. Tough job, I know.
  3. Son-of-Vere

CORAL vintage restoration project

One easy way to update the cabs would be to do a foam wrap kinda' like DCM speakers. It would certainly be reversable.
  4. Son-of-Vere

Schiit Fans ?

Well I have to say I'm not a fan, and I haven't even had a chance to hear their products yet. Ordered a pre and a phono pre March 2nd. Said ships in 1 to 3days and I'm usually very careful about ordering in stock products. 10 days later I'm emailing them "hey where's my stuff?". First email...
  5. Son-of-Vere

My Lastest BoseBlose Special: The 4X301 Stack - Whaaat?

If you go down to your local craft store, they sell foam sheets in multiple colors that look like poster board. they're about 1/8" thick. Can be cut w/scissors
  6. Son-of-Vere

Speaker factory - dual 8" tower - anyone know these?

This looks like the white van of the internet.
  7. Son-of-Vere

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

I would be all over these. Very high efficiency woofers in an already built cab. Remove tweeters and eBay 'em. find a maggy horn tweeter and have some fleapower speakers. Cab would need porting. But only if the price was right.
  8. Son-of-Vere

Guess who found a JBL PARAGON at Goodwill!

Just to keep things on the low buck end, maybe treat this as a candidate for econowaving. It's obviously not an original, but the prospect of having one of these in your home is certainly worth some effort, just not too much effort. I would have been running Grandma's over had I seen this at my...
  9. Son-of-Vere

TimeFrame T400 Need a New Replacement Woofer; I Think

You may be ready for a woofer rotation, if you don't find anything obvious.
  10. Son-of-Vere

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

I've said before, and I'm sticking with it. This is my vote for most underrated, as it filled the clearance aisle of record selling establishments. Yet as a album, it kicked Business as Usual's patooty.
  11. Son-of-Vere

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Another fine example of "What do you mean, stereo?"
  12. Son-of-Vere

CJD Mystery Speakers

I bet those are actually 50 ohm. You can find 50ohm wire wound pots/rheostats on amazon. they will be bigger physically, but they'll work better.
  13. Son-of-Vere

"As the glue dries..." Post up your refoam jobs!

Ok, instead of a refoam, how about a straight up foam? I bought a pair of Realistic Nova 9's. One had a woofer that looked relatively new, and the other was completely trashed. IDK if it was due to supply issues, or maybe one was replacement, but I've seen on eBay two woofers being sold from the...
  14. Son-of-Vere

The curious case of the oozing dope

My Realistic Nova 9's suffer from this disease as well. The mid's especially. Also one of the woofer surrounds solidified and blew out the cone. I'd like to know what was used and how to possibly restore the dope.
  15. Son-of-Vere

FLEA WATT Speaker(s). Whatcha using ?

Realistic Nova 9. DG-SE1 amp.
  16. Son-of-Vere

Realistic Nova 9

I've had some time to finally listen to these enough to garner an opinion, so here goes. They kind of remind me of a large console in their presentation, a rather old fashioned sound with an early '60's jazz feel to them. Bass is loose and kinda tubby, I'm guessing that those woofers would...
  17. Son-of-Vere

Realistic Nova 9 Rehabilitation

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love it. Most folks wouln't go to such lengths to get speakers like these running at peak performance. My crossover is also largely recycled parts, and it's been fun putting them together into something that's listenable.
  18. Son-of-Vere

Yes it's a 68. Paralleled w/a 5 mF poly. I consider this speaker as mid-fi, and I was being cheap, so a 'lytic was good enough for this spot for the mid.
  19. Son-of-Vere

Wow, and I thought my Nova 9 crossover was over the top! Yeah that mid needs some serious attenuation when it has real caps and coils on it. I compared it side by side with the old crossover and there was no doubt who the winner was.
  20. Son-of-Vere

Fisher speakers model css 44 with new Woofers

Looks like the original woofer has left the chat.
  21. Son-of-Vere

Owl Eyes

I'm just wondering what the knife switch does......
  22. Son-of-Vere

Realistic Nova 9

Well I did pick up the set I was looking at, and I wish I'd stayed home.:( Apparently there's something strange about the woofers as one looks brand new, and the surround is very flexible, and the other's cone is completely blown out and split all the way around. If it had any rubber coating on...
  23. Son-of-Vere

Large Advents - Butchered?

Looks like a good candidate for the "questionable upgrades" thread.
  24. Son-of-Vere

HD660's

Hey! I actually own these and they're in the rotation. Yeah, I'd say they're worth fixing up. The PO refoamed them, but I recapped them. Not the greatest foam job, but they sound ok. Very east coast sound as they are somewhat layed back, with plenty of bass. Do you still have the port plugs...
  25. Son-of-Vere

Infinity RS. 2.5 boxes only. What to do?

A large Heil driver or econowave could be fun too. There's a lot you could do with these, I would be all over these cabs as my current set of drivers need a new home, and I'm not in love with the idea of building new cabs.
Back
Top Bottom