Search results

1. fips152

Today's Great American Songbook Playlist

One of my favorite albums for the past few years, since I first got a copy and heard it. Her singing on this album is superb -- intonation, phrasing, dynamics, and so forth, as well as downright sexy.
  2. fips152

G3500 Integrated Receiver/Amp

I can't advise you on what might need replacing or adjusting, but I can tell you that I really like my Sansui G-3500 receiver. It sounds very good, with no distortion that I can detect. It's probably the "cleanest" sounding receiver I own, even though it's only 26 watts RMS per channel. The...
  3. fips152

The curious case of my new "Boffle" speakers

Have you listened to them? If so, how do they sound?
  4. fips152

help w/ Rek-O-Kut Phono Switch

Does the switch box switch the grounds as well as the signals? When you wrote that you still have the problem with only the Technics turntable hooked up to the switch box, was the ground from the Dual turntable still connected to the switch box?
  5. fips152

Just wanted to share this find :)

That caused some happy laughter. Thank you.
  6. fips152

Price point?

I agree with you about euphemisms and unnecessarily awkward terms and phrases, but will point out that in its military sense, the words "casualty" and "casualties" don't mean simply dead or wounded. Those words mean people who are no longer able to fight (or perform the supporting work...
  7. fips152

What a loada crap!

There's good music being recorded today, but Sturgeon's Law still applies. It's usually stated as "ninety percent of everything is crap," and it's relevant for today, the past, and probably the future. See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law So why is so much of our...
  8. fips152

How do I hook this up?

According to the information on http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc39/39891.htm the STA-2280 has A and B speaker terminals, and can handle two pairs of speakers if they are all 8 ohms or greater. If you're only using one pair of speakers, and they are 8 ohms or higher, and the...
  9. fips152

Please help me troubleshoot my bass-lite, restored KLH Sixes

Using some extra cloth to tame harsh tweeters has been one of my favorite quick fixes for a long time, including just a small piece of cloth over just the tweeter. It's easy to experiment and try out by hanging the cloth over the top of the speaker boxes (assuming that the tweeters are near the...
  10. fips152

Today's classical playlist

Schubert -- String Quartet No. 14 in D Minor -- "Death and the Maiden" Melos Quartett Stuttgart: - Wilhelm Melcher, violin - Gerhard Voss, violin - Harmann Voss, viola - Peter Buck, cello Deutsche Grammophon 2530 533 Recording Engineer: Heinz Wildhagen Published (P) 1975 Polydor...
  11. fips152

Tube Organ - CL in Albany, CA

First, no affiliation. A tube-based organ is offered on craigslist "free stuff" in Albany, California. From the description, the current owner fried something in it, but from the photos it looks like it might be of interest to fans of tube gear. From the Cl posting at...
  12. fips152

My problem with streaming services.....

---- One needs to be concerned about the intent of the composers or performers before one would (or should) be concerned. It's an issue for me but for some people it isn't, nor should it be. I think that this is more of an issue (or problem) for classical and other art music than most...
  13. fips152

Differences in Vinyl LPs?

Not as detailed could be caused by any of several things -- poor recording, too many "special" effects, or poor mastering of the LP, and probably some other things that I can't think of right now. Not as loud is probably just how wide and "wiggly" the grooves are. To get more music onto an...
  14. fips152

Static & a ZeroStat question

I don't know if there could be a problem "spraying" a ZeroStat onto a record that's on a turntable. I use my ZeroStat by holding the record in one hand and "spraying" it with the ZeroStat held in the other hand while standing a few feet away from the turntable. Works well for me.
  15. fips152

Favorite song opening

"21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson, In the Court of the Crimson King.
  16. fips152

Your First

My first speaker was in 8th grade. It was a 12-inch "full-range" driver that I mounted in a corrugated cardboard box, about 20" wide, 12" deep, and 14" tall, hooked up to my Norelco Continental 201 reel-to-reel tape recorder. My second setup was in college. It was a pair of Radio Shack...
  17. fips152

Port Chuffing

From the photo on the Parts Express web site it seems to be plastic. If so, you can measure the volume by filling it with water and then pouring the water into some other container that has measuring marks (cc, fluid ounces, whatever). Regarding what doucanoe wrote in message #6 of this...
  18. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 31st Recorded on December 31st: 1947: Kay Kyser's Campus Cowboys v Gloria Wood — When Veronica Plays Her Harmonica 1947: Ray McKinley v Ray McKinley — You Came a Long Way (From St. Louis) 1956: Jimmy Dorsey — Love for Sale 1956: Jimmy Dorsey v Tommy Mercer...
  19. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 30th Recorded on December 30th: 1936: Benny Goodman v Margaret McCrae — Never Should Have Told You 1937: Artie Shaw and His New Music v Nita Bradley — There's a New Moon Over the Mill 1938: Joe Turner v Pete Johnson — Roll 'Em Pete 1938: Meade Lewis...
  20. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 29th Recorded on December 29th: 1931: Russ Columbo v Bing Crosby — Save the Last Dance for Me 1933: Lew Stone v Al Bowlly — Dark Clouds 1941: Al Cooper and His Savoy Sultans — Boats [NY] 1941: Al Cooper and His Savoy Sultans — Fish for Your Supper [NY]...
  21. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 28th Recorded on December 28th: 1934: Buster Bailey and His Seven Chocolate Dandies — Call of the Delta [NY] 1934: Buster Bailey and His Seven Chocolate Dandies — Shanghai Shuffle [NY] 1936: Shep Fields and His Rippling Rhythm — Little Old Lady 1938: Ziggy...
  22. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 27th Recorded on December 27th: 1937: Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli — Swing '35 1937: Philippe Brun — Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me 1939: Benny Goodman v Helen Forrest — Busy as a Bee 1940: Glenn Miller v Ray Eberle — Chapel in the Valley...
  23. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 26th Recorded on December 26th: 1941: Fats Waller and His Rhythm v Fats Waller — Cash for Your Trash
  24. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 24th Recorded on December 24th: 1941: Cab Calloway v Cab Calloway — Virginia, Georgia, Caroline 1941: Lionel Hampton v Rubel Blakey — My Wish [NY] 1947: Buddy Clark — You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
  25. fips152

This Day in Jazz

This Day in Jazz - December 23rd Recorded on December 23rd: 1930: Cab Calloway v Cab Calloway — Nobody's Sweetheart 1935: Eddy Duchin v Lew Sherwood — Lights Out 1935: Eddy Duchin v Lew Sherwood — Moon Over Miami 1936: Artie Shaw — Cream Puff 1936: Victor Arden-Phil Ohman v Frank...
Back
Top Bottom