Search results

1. W

Crown FM-1, anyone have one and an Owner's Manual?

Excellent tuner! I did a recap of the power supply and all signal path electrolytics, replacing appropriate ones with WIMA polypropylene caps. Sounds even better. This tuner has the excellent Hitachi HA11223W MPX chip. Not familiar with the 'NLA' chip you reference. Can you explain it's...
  2. W

Look what followed me home from Las Vegas!

An excellent performing and sounding tuner. Even better with relatively simple mods.
  3. W

Pioneer/Series 20 F-28 tuner sold on ebay this past week.

Minor correction to what I posted above. The incandescent lamps are in the tuning arm I believe of which I believe there are two.
  4. W

Pioneer/Series 20 F-28 tuner sold on ebay this past week.

I have one but not that one. Mine is currently out of my tuner rotation. Nice effort by Pioneer in the late 1970's. But it employs a fairly complicated optical tuning mechanism. Behind the faceplate is a perforated plate itself backed by incandescent lamps that as the tuning arm advances...
  5. W

Bought an Akai AT-93 Reference Master tuner.

Have one too, unmodified. Does everything well and sounds great!
  6. W

Tuners?

Honestly haven't counted how many tuners I have but it is in the dozens including tube, analog solid state, digital solid state and HD radio. Currently listing to an Akai AT-9700 which I have done enhancements to. Best surprise and value is an Onkyo T-4087. Excellent sensitivity and...
  7. W

Used tuner recommendation?

Here's one that doesn't seem to get alot of love. The Onkyo T-4087. It often goes for a very reasonable price on that auction site. Mine has very good sound quality, excellent sensitivity and selectivity. And like many of the digital Onkyos from that period it's high blend feature for less...
  8. W

My new Tuner

Agree with everything you say about this tuner. Have one and noticed same things. One of the big posters on TIC from years back had this interesting take on the T-910: "The Kyocera T-910 is a piece of complete and total garbage. Every single unit I have heard of has the same problem, and...
  9. W

Sony XDR-F1HD

As you and others here have noted this tuners strong point is its sensitivity. I got mine many years ago when they were being offered as part of an HD radio promotion. With promotion I got mine for $38 + tax and shipping. Years later I sent it out to I believe the guy who goes by xdrguy or...
  10. W

Digital vs analog tuners - pros and cons

Dr. Audio, Just picked up an Onkyo T-4087 and this Onkyo is blowing my socks off. I have restored an T-9090, T-9090II, T-4700, and have a T-4500 and T-4711. Unmodified the T-4087 is more sensitive, sounds just as good as any of the others. It's also very selective with its 2-way bandwidth switch.
  11. W

Yamaha T-80 Tuner help, part d224 is broken

The schematic (available at https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/t-80.shtml) lists D224 (and D225) as a 1S1555 diode. A google search turns up several matches for this diode right here at audiokarma. For example, see the one...
  12. W

Sony ST-J75 FM tuner

Funny you should mention the J75. I have had one for a few years but have not been using it. A month ago I pulled it out of storage. I went through and did a recap of power supply and audio path, replace opamp with OPA2134 and all the other mods listed at fmtunerinfo under ST-J75 listing...
  13. W

Finally Getting to Any Audio Projects During Covid-19?

Just finished recapping and adding BB OPA2134 Op Amp to a Sansui TU-D99X tuner based on mods just posted at the fmtuners group at fmtuners@groups.io. Very sensitive and sounds very good for a fairly affordable tuner.
  14. W

Sony ST-88 stereo light enigma

I have this tuner and when originally acquired the stereo light was burned out. Sent it to a very reputable tuner tech in TN to align, fix the light and he reported that on this Sony, if the stereo indicator light is burned out, the MPX circuit is NOT engaged. One of few tuners in his...
  15. W

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

WSOX 96.1 and WXPH 88.7 Recently modded Sansui TU-D99X
  16. W

What's your favourite tuner aesthetically?

The RHT-10 has the looks AND sound quality to match those looks. Bill C.
  17. W

Recapping a Philips AH-6731

I'll just piggyback on Punker X's comments (another IMHO unimpeachable source on these sorts of questions). John C. I believe is a retired individual with a strong technical background. He may though I'm not sure be an EE. His circuit analysis/knowledge is above that of an amateur hobbyist...
  18. W

Recapping a Philips AH-6731

Go to FMTUNERINFO.com under under Jim & Bob's DIY Mods. Under Philips AH673 contributor John C. lists the caps he recommends to replace with the old/new values and the brands he recommends. I have used this particular recommendation on my AH6731 and it turned out very well. In fact I've...
  19. W

Mitsubishi DA-F20 Added To My Collection Of Tuners

No issues to report. Yes, a very nice tuner and sound pretty good. If you are handy I would recommend doing the mods listed for this tuner at fmtunerinfo.com. I've done them and they improve the sound.
  20. W

Tuner recommendation needed

Hi Robster, The T-117 is a fine digital tuner. If you haven't already, read about it here: http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/luxman.html. I would say yes to the work you want to have done. Mike Williams is also an excellent choice to do this work. I've always been very pleased with his work. Bill C.
  21. W

Carver TX-11B ?

This particular tuner of mine has no modifications. I have modded many of my tuners but this one was in such good shape functionally (and cosmetically) that I saw no need to mod. As to whether I would call it a super tuner,probably not. It's not quite in same category as Sansui...
  22. W

Carver TX-11B ?

Have a TX-11B and a PSB-11 which is same tuner I think was marketed for business or radio station monitor use. This is an excellent tuner. Of particular note, these have the best noise reduction I've heard on any tuner, being able to significantly reduce noise on less than stellar stereo...
  23. W

Meridian 504, Rotel RT-1080 & Yamaha T-85

Again totally agree with Mike. I have both the T-85 and Meridian 504 and my experience matches Mike's comment. Meridian is a pretty nice sounding tuner, though a little 'wonky' on the user interface.
  24. W

Radio Music / Radio Shows

The 'Many Moods of Ben Vaughn' on WXPH (WXPN).
Back
Top Bottom