Search results

1. D

Technics SL-1000 mkII Dust Cover Hinges

Well, my beloved SL-1000mkII dust cover is not staying in the "up" position on its own anymore. I have looked around a bit on the WWW for dust cover parts, but all I can find are replacement hinges for the SL-1200 series. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can just remove the dust cover and...
  2. D

Gesperrt???

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the word "Gesperrt" means in the proper context. So, I purchased a new Fluke multimeter off of the auction site. It was sold as "new". The box was shown along with the box contents in the listing photos. Well, at least most of the box was shown...
  3. D

Diagnosing Nakamichi PA-7 Amplifier - Recap?

I picked up a couple of Nak PA-7 STASIS amplifiers a while back along with a CA-5 and a CA-5II preamp. I put them in my main system one-at-a-time to see what each component would do to the sound. Well, the good news is that the first PA-7 does make sound. Although, I was initially impressed...
  4. D

Denon DL-304 LOMC Cartridge Opinions

I have an opportunity to acquire one of these in good shape. These are no longer manufactured. From what I have read, some think it is up there with the best while others say they are thin sounding. Appropriate gain staging and loading could be responsible for the negative remarks since its...
  5. D

Nagaoka MP-500H Fiasco

I decided to try a Nagaoka MP-500H on one of my Technics SL-1200Gs. I purchased the combination package that includes a Nagaoka headshell with the cartridge pre-mounted. When I went to mount this combination to the tonearm, I had to use the large accessory counterweight to balance the arm for...
  6. D

Speaker Identification Help Please

Does anyone know what these are and if they are of good quality?
  7. D

New Emotiva Canine Subwoofer?

https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-sub-woofer?utm_campaign=True-Canine%E2%84%A2%20Subwoofer%20%28Hawke%29%20%28LCK65G%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Klaviyo&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJkaGpvaG5zb24zMzdAeWFob28uY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSnlkVlZSIn0%3D
  8. D

New Elac Alchemy PPA-2 Phono Preamp - Any Users?

The developer of the Alchemy product line is now working with Elac and has announced a new line of products. The PPA-2 phono preamp looks interesting. It's design is a fully discrete balanced JFET architecture. It has a nice feature set to include two sets of inputs, adjustable gain (MM/MC)...
  9. D

Technics SL-1200G for $2800 to US

Technics fans, in case you have not seen this... There is a site called Farfetch where you can source a Technics SL-1200GEG-S for a really good price: https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/technics-grey-sl-1200-g-direct-turntable-item-13594961.aspx Your first purchase is 10% off. This model...
  10. D

Technics SL-1200G/GAE Voltage Compatibility

I am curious as to the voltage/frequency compatibility of the new Technics SL-1200G/GAE turntables. In other words, can a model sold in the UK also work in the US? It would seem with a switching power supply that it may be possible to simply change the power cable or connector. Does anyone...
  11. D

SUT Options for Audio Technica AT-ART7 Cartridge

I am looking for some suggestions for properly gain staging this cartridge. I would prefer to use an SUT with it because of the extremely low output voltage (0.12mV). A 1 to 20 SUT would put the output at about 2.4mV, which should be fine with the correct active gain stage behind it. However...
  12. D

Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

So, I purchased one of these new Technics SL-1200G models to "upgrade" my current Technics SL-1210M5G setup. After I set it up, I noticed the strobe was showing a slight wavering of the dots. Worse, I thought I heard it too when I played my favorite Diana Krall record. It is normal for the...
  13. D

Pioneer PL-L800 Turntable with no Sound

Anyone happen to know if there is a muting switch on this turntable? The turntable is working fine other than I can get nothing out of the RCA cables. Ideas?
  14. D

Intermittent stutter or glitch during computer playback of FLAC files

I am using a new Dell laptop which is dedicated for music playback. Most of my FLAC files originated from CDs ripped using WMP-10. During playback there is an intermittent very small skip or stutter in the music. It is small but extremely annoying. It happens whether I am using WMP-10 or...
  15. D

New Counterfeit Technics Headshells

I appears so. For quite some time plenty of imitation generic headshells have been available from various sources. For the most part, they resemble the original Technics headshell with fairly minor differences and are of reasonable quality. Up until now, I have not seen any of these...
  16. D

Synergistic Research Atmosphere and ATM

So, I was cruising a reputable high-end audio dealer website this morning and I run across the Synergistic Research "Atmosphere" and "ATM" products. It looks like a monolithic tower you place in the middle of your listening room. The claim is that there is more natural and man-made RF (Radio...
  17. D

Shure N44G Stylus - Does this look right?

I purchased a "New Other" Shure N44G stylus for my M44G cartridge. When it came in today, I noticed some crimping of the cantilever. I can't tell if this is something Shure would have done, or if this has been damaged and "repaired" by the last owner. I compared it to an N44-7 stylus, and the...
  18. D

Any recommendations on a PCM1794A based DAC?

I have been comparing the numbers on the current DAC chips and the Burr Brown (TI) 1794A has my attention. It has a S/N of 127 dB in stereo mode and 132 in mono mode. It has an "advanced segment" architecture and seems to be one of the better, if not the best, 24 bit DAC ICs in production. I...
  19. D

Review: Chris Jones - Roadhouses and Automobiles - 180 gram 45 RPM

Artist - Chris Jones Title - Roadhouses and Automobiles Year of Original Release - 2005 Record Label - Stockfisch Genre - Folk (Acoustic Guitar) Singer-Songwriter Product Specifics: 2016 release on two 180 gram 45 RPM discs UPC: 4 013357 802711 Stockfisch Records SFR 357.80271 Cost: $50 This...
  20. D

PC Setup for FLAC Playback using WMP

I have recently begun to rip CDs to 16/44.1 FLAC files. I’m ripping them with Windows Media Player and also playing back through a DAC. I connected the DAC using a Schiit Eitr. DAC is an old Aragon D2A PCM58 based. It seemed all too easy to set this up and sounds very nice. Did I miss anything...
  21. D

Anyone have experience with the Acurus P10 or Aragon 47k phono preamp?

I can find little information on these two preamps. From what I have read so far, they are supposed to be similar. One posting described the Aragon as being the same with the exception of the power supply being external to the preamp enclosure itself. One may use better resistors than the other...
  22. D

Karmices is a standup guy and a great AK member!

Karmices was thoughtful enough to offer to purchase a remaining copy of Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" limited pressing he spied at the local record store with his own money and then offer it for purchase at his cost to another AK'er. I am the happy recipient of this offer. The transaction was...
  23. D

P-Mount Audio Technica LOMC AT312EP - Any Users?

I came across one of these the other day. I mean it’s a p-mount AND a LOMC! Being the p-mount hoarder I am I had to have it. The question is, are these anything special? There isn’t much information available for this as far as reviews-at least that I could find. I believe there are a couple of...
  24. D

18" Woofer Surround Replacement

My band mate and I designed and built 4 subwoofers for our FOH speaker system. They turned out great. In fact, they were so effective that we only needed to run 2 of them unless we were performing outside. Well, the band has long split up (sigh), but I did keep one set of speakers- which...
  25. D

Tidal and others Announce Hi Res Streaming by Spring 2017 at CES

One of the industry publications I receive had this article (link below). Apparently, technologies including Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) technology to reduce bandwidth requirements to make it practical to stream master-quality audio will be available. Sounds promising...
Back
Top Bottom