Search results

1. tubewade

Simple question...

Yes. It will fit.
  2. tubewade

Been away for a while. What's going on with the value of the Shure SC35C?

Hi @Brett a . I've been missing your posts. Yes, Shure going out of the cartridge and stylus business has resulted in new genuine stock of such being almost unobtainable and ridiculous prices as you've discovered. Same applies to N97xE, N44-7, N35X and Whitelabel. Many cartridge and stylus...
  3. tubewade

Jico (japan) N75HE or retip oem stylus ?

I would first do this too, and also lower total load capacitance or increase load resistance to 68k. Next step would be the VividLine replacement for Shure 8x for about twice the price of the Swiss nudie. The SAS is lovely, but 5 times the price of a Swiss nudie. Edit: adding
  4. tubewade

stylus balance

The newer Pfanstiehls are getting much better reviews than the older ones did so hopefully you will find that the new stylus fixes the problem. :music: Edit: Corrected information
  5. tubewade

Can I use a Realistic SA 150 Integrated Amp for its mono/stereo switch?

John, keep in mind that most people don't do anything special to play mono records. They just play them the same as all other records. Usually this is very satisfactory and you won't know the difference. On some worn records the noise component can be cancelled by playing them in mono, so...
  6. tubewade

Yeah. Me too. I pulled the schematic right quick to confirm where the mono/stereo switch was placed. I had one of these amplifiers many years ago and couldn't remember about that for sure.
  7. tubewade

You could use the SA-150 as a phono preamp by connecting the tape outputs to aux inputs on the Yamaha, but the mono switch is internally after the tape outputs so that function would not help with what you want to do.
  8. tubewade

Technics SL-3300 for $140... Good Deal?

I don't know anything about that particular model nor can I say a dollar amount for its value. This week I looked for a few parts (on eBay) to repair another turntable and found that bare minimum for any turntable seems to be around 100. Those in good working order and including dust cover...
  9. tubewade

stylus balance

The stylus should be pushed all the way into the cartridge until the grip, or handle, touches the front of the body of the cartridge.
  10. tubewade

Ortofon OM cartridge on Pioneer PL12D

The Shure has a rated output of about 6mV while the Ortofon is rated at 4mV. That is a difference large enough to notice, but it doesn't hurt anything at all. You just have to increase the volume to accommodate. It's normal. Both of these styli are theoretically a bit too compliant for the...
  11. tubewade

Stanton heads hell

You can change the tracking pressure by adjusting the counterweight, but what we are talking about with these small weights is changing mass, not tracking force or pressure. Envision a spring, hanging with a wad of modeling clay on the end. If you start it in motion it will resonate at a...
  12. tubewade

Stanton heads hell

To add mass when you are using a low compliance stylus.
  13. tubewade

Naughty turntables need love too! This BSR ain't too bad!

Does your 2260 have a Shure magnetic cartridge? If so, needles for 78 rpm are available. These players are really fine for playing 78s but I'd be a little hesitant to stack a few if they were ones I cared about. Shellac is a bit more fragile than poly-vinyl. Some of them may already have...
  14. tubewade

Mine doesn't look brand new, but it's in alright condition. The dust cover has a crack and has some swirls, but it's functional. I bought it from a Goodwill type store 30 years ago just because it was practically free. On some that may be so. On the ones I've serviced it worked well enough...
  15. tubewade

Nice! I have one like it, too. It really does better than most people would give any credit for. It's fun with VG Lps and 45s that came from jukebox duty. The stylus on these should be adjusted to 4 grams. Rivertone.stylus on ebay has new needles for these.
  16. tubewade

Yes, 2200 ohms, red red red gold on a carbon resistor. No, no. Don't solder in series, but in parallel, for we want the resistor to load the ceramic element changing its characteristic. It would be "hot" side (signal) to ground. Source for resistor would be an electronics parts dealer like...
  17. tubewade

To drop the output, place 2.2k resistors across the cartridge output, right at the RCA jacks. This load will change the characteristic of the ceramic cartridge to be like that of a magnetic.
  18. tubewade

Current state of stylii and carts

You have a bunch of really nice cartridges. With all those to choose from I'd not yet be spending my money on any new one. With a good stylus any one of those should be very satisfying.
  19. tubewade

LPgear same price: Shibata or SAS for VN35HE replacement?

It's personal preference. It has been recently said on another thread that the Microline cut is great with instrumental music but puts vocals just slightly back on the stage while the Shibata puts the vocals more to the forefront. I don't have these two specific needles to compare but I do...
  20. tubewade

Royal / Shure RM900E Cartridge

The cartridge is the same as an M91, which is a favourite of many people, myself included. You can use a great variety of styli including all for M70, M72, M75, M91 and M93, plus others that are lesser known. Get the best stylus you can afford that matches the compliance requirements of your...
  21. tubewade

Do I need an external preamp?

Does the turntable have an inbuilt phono preamp? If it does, and it seems maybe it does, then no, you do not need another one. But yes, the records will be at a lower volume level than CDs.
  22. tubewade

Do I need an external preamp?

I don't know what a "Powernode" is. If it has an inbuilt Phono preamp then you don't need one, but if it does not have one then you do need one. Does it have an input that says "Phono"? As for level matching, line level has increased over the years and for whatever reason most phono preamps...
  23. tubewade

Frequency Response Curves: Shure's Last Cartridges

The curves are quite interesting and may show that what we hear doesn't always agree with what is measured, but sometimes it does. As for the M97xE, does anyone here remember the (legendary) cartridge shootout Beatcomber did back in 2011? It was a blind test. Lots of participants judging...
  24. tubewade

Looking for help finding a replacement Seiki Counter weight

Borrow a micrometer, if you don't have one. You need to know in milli-meters. I know of at least 9, 10, 12 and 13 mm stubs, and there are probably more.
  25. tubewade

question about Magnavox Record Player Needle.

Oh dear! You may be right! I thought after zooming in to the ebay picture that I could see a screw on the side. It may be only a reflection, though. In that case, we have to know if there is a screw on the right side near the tonearm lift, just under and forward of it. If so, more options...
Back
Top Bottom