Search results

1. ugornot

RS5s? Now what?

Those look like RS4s to me. I have the 5bs which are a 10" woofer and 4bs which are dual 8" woofers and 3bs which are dual 10" woofers. The RS4Bs I have are pretty good speakers relegated to computer service. They don't look like 3bs so I'm guessing 4s. The 5s without the b may have been dual...
  2. ugornot

Kappa 8 vs RS-4b

I 5bs, 4bs and IIIbs. I think the 4bs are a definite sweet spot for a smaller room.
  3. ugornot

Recommend me some Infinitys

I have rs5bs, rs4bs and rsiiibs. 4bs are dual 8" woofers and the iiibs are dual 10" and I have driven them with as little as a concept 7.5. The woofers in both of the dual woofers I have are series wired. This makes a much easier load to amps.
  4. ugornot

Take It From A QVC Host: We're Trying To Achieve The Impossible!

It never ceases to amaze me what some people call good and how bad great can be. To each their own. If someone gave me a wave radio I would sell it and buy something old. The only advantage it has over old stereo gear is no back pain. But I have a strong back! Bill
  5. ugornot

storing your infinities.

No! Its absolutely wrong to store your Infinities in a garage. I happen to have some prime heated listening area available for say RS1BS or IIBs or even some gammas or Deltas. Perhaps some Rennissance 90s. I'm here to serve. Bill
  6. ugornot

RS 6/B morph into RS 4/B

I don't know by what you mean by stronger, but it will go lower before rolling off. So the effect should not be that pronounced except on deep bass passages. This also means a little more impact. My 4Bs are better balanced to my ears Than my IIIBs. But I prefer a little less bass than most.
  7. ugornot

RS-5B confusion!

No Watkins on the 80's RS line that I'm aware of. All were poly woofers. Watkins on the Quantum series and Infinitesimals.
  8. ugornot

Too small an amplifier?

Harshness is the best description I can give of distortion. It sounds bad/wrong. Many mistake this harshness as loud, but it isn't. Things (heavy things) will fall off the wall before loud sounds bad, if you have enough amp and speakers. What I'm trying to say is loud doesn't sound bad. It can...
  9. ugornot

What amp drives your Infinities?

Adcom 555 -rsIIIb NAD 2600 RS4B HK 3480 RS5B Carver 900 RS5B
  10. ugornot

What should you pick first the speaker or the amp?

I would say speakers first then amp, but if you buy a very good amp your speakers choices will not be limited. I had some big infinities that are built for high quality amps. I got a pretty good amp that the infinities liked. Later I got some Maggies that the amp does well with. I could stick my...
  11. ugornot

EPI T/E 70, Score Scroe or No?

I agree that these are not original woofers. I had the t/e 320s and they were a very good speaker. The t/e70s I have I refoamed from the front. I didn't want to scrape all the foam off the back.
  12. ugornot

PC System..what's in yours ?

watercooled q6600 at 3.2 4870 crossfirex (2x4870s) xonar nad 1600 pre nad 2600 amp Infinity RS4Bs Aux equipment Pioneer super multi dvd sa cd dvda drive Nakamichi MBS2
  13. ugornot

VHS tapes: I just inherited 3 LARGE boxes of them-- what can you use them for?

Make a ghillie suit? No one would ever suspect that big ol pile of VHS tape was deadly!!!!
  14. ugornot

The human factor in music

There is no substitute for good. I would rather have a good recording than a bad performance. And it seems like here there is no one who can put on a good performance. So here lately there is no substitute for a good recording.
  15. ugornot

Speaker "break-in" : real or imagined?

Audio memory is best used from seconds to at the most minutes. Audio memory over days or weeks is "funny." That's why most double blind tests are for short selections and switched within seconds. Trying to compare a sound heard one day to another day is very subjectively colored. That is why...
  16. ugornot

Dumb question of the day: coiling up cords, power and signal- what is the effect?

Its a situation I face daily at work. I deal with industrial equipment that involves amplification of signals up to thousands of times. For instance using load cell to control the speed of a conveyor. The load cell puts out a reference of .02 mVolts and is amplified to a 0-10 volt reference...
  17. ugornot

amusing misinformation in old offsite thread LoL

Due to a plethora of somewhat good quality speakers, I find myself using my 4Bs on my main computer system. Using a NAD 1600 pre and 2600 amp (150 wpc.) And the bass is just fine for music and the sound effects in FPS games. The bass is great IMO on these speakers. People that like the plastic...
  18. ugornot

What is your favorite speaker design?

I have moved from acoustic suspension to planar. I can tell exactly where the boxes are. And now I hear the box. But put on the maggies and the wall is a stage. I'll live with the lack of impact. But I have a strange malady. I hear bass everywhere. Evidently I'm sensitive.
  19. ugornot

perplexing bass response situation with my new RS4b's

I am also using Magnepans. The Cerwin Vegas are my wife's and definitely not my cup of tea. Actually the 4Bs are very balanced to my ears, my IIIBs are a little bass heavy for me. The Maggies lack impact but I can hear more bass notes. They actually more accurately portray the bass but at a...
  20. ugornot

perplexing bass response situation with my new RS4b's

Welcome to the world of accurate bass. If you want thunderous bass go grab some Cerwin Vegas. I have both and the CVs are relegated to home theater use. The 4bs are a very balanced speaker when operating properly. Their sound is not for everyone. It is one of my favorite speakers.
  21. ugornot

What is the longest distance you've driven to pick up audio gear?

According to mapquest 766.66 miles one way. From Bunnelevel NC to Memphis TN. Met Urizen all to briefly. Total 1533.32 round trip. Still listen to the magnepans daily. Thanks again Urizen. Oh yeah the maggies only fit in my wife's accord. 2 inches to spare.
  22. ugornot

How To Measure Speaker Channel Output?

Receiver? Tune static on FM (and hit mono switch if available) measure output on speaker terminals. Should be close enough.
  23. ugornot

My first "WTF was that noise?" experience in ages

About 300 watts into Magnepans when Telarc's digital cannons fire willl give you one of those WTF feelings also, but in a very very bad way. But Keith Jarret in the Koln Concert does lots of weird stuff like tapping his foot, humming, and playing the piano's strings by hand.
  24. ugornot

adcom GFA 555 vs GFA 555ii

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5280 Read this supposedly Nelson Pass did the 555. The II was a design upgrade by Adcom. I like the OLA'a and the 555. I guess I'm stuck on originals.
  25. ugornot

help with desoldering

Just to resurrect a dead thread, This week my wife brought home a dead computer from school (one I built many years ago,) a pIII 750. Had the dreaded bulged capacitor syndrome. I remember replacing the motherboard years ago brought it out and it also had the swollen capacitors but in a different...
Back
Top Bottom