Search results

1. markkb

New CD player? New DVD player? Fix Oppo?

A couple things, I'd pull the cover off and see if there is something obvious, like a rubber belt getting old and slipping off its roller. first I'd search..Ok, this may not be it but it could be Bingo!
  2. markkb

Wedding System In 100 year old Log building + long rambles about old gear

I can appreciate this above, you might need some place for people to lay out. "Like wow man, I need to lay down!" Put down a Big tarp and have a bunch of air mattresses, maybe outside if the weather is nice. There is something classic about partaking and then heading to the couch :-)
  3. markkb

What would you do with these cabinets?

Oh I had the orientation all wrong, looking at the mounts on the back, these hung with the long side horizontal to the ceiling and the baffle angling down. Cool.
  4. markkb

What would you do with these cabinets?

Those are some interesting angles. The two longer sides are not a 45 degree are they? Is there veneer on the right side? Anyway I can't see these just standing on their own, they beg for some integration with the surrounding, maybe hung back up on a wall. I like the architecture and the metal...
  5. markkb

KLH Six circa 1968 Restoration w/Pics!

Thanks for the writeup Glen, I especially like the Dear Abby headline workspace early on. I'm gathering supplies to fix a speaker corner that has been squarely knocked on from a drop. I need to rebuild it, raising a pyramid about 1/2 inch. A few questions: -What is the epoxy / filler that you...
  6. markkb

Sherwood S-5500 II shorted cap

There's multiple service manuals for the S-5500 II based on the serial number. It looks like your's is an earlier chassis configuration. search for a manual within your serial number. If you can't locate it, Try VintageManuals.com I purchased one from them for mine based on my serial number.
  7. markkb

Acoustic Research AR-4x: no sound from tweeters

Good on your Dad for holding onto these, now you can share the same vibrations he did. Good energy. I'm curious what kind of replacement tweeter is in the picture. For the original tweeters, 50 Ohms sounds weird to me, just as a final test, I would test the original tweeter(s) with music...
  8. markkb

Acoustic Research AR-4x: no sound from tweeters

echoing what the others said, you want to use a digital multimeter and check the tweeter for Ohms to see if it's good and has continuity. You can also unsolder the pot, remove, disassemble and clean per instructions on the web. The pots corrode so that no signal can get through. Very common for...
  9. markkb

Updating my '79 NLA's

Double stack advents? :cool: Thats about it, refoam and replace capacitors. For the foams a lot of folks here use member Rick Cobb to purchase the foams from. He’s also on eBay under seller Looneytunes. He prefers direct sales though, rcobb@tampabay.rr.com He’ll set you up. He sends a tone...
  10. markkb

AR-4X Cap, L-Pad photos

Welcome to AK, if you still need further information. You can ask at Classic Speakers Pages in the AR forum. You can also try Larry at Vintage AR. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/
  11. markkb

B&W 801(80) TS26 tweeter

Hi, welcome to AK. Here’s a website that has a great tutorial for replacing the dome. From the tutorial it doesn’t appear to have ferrofluid since they don’t talk about replacing it. https://speakerrepairshop.nl/en/instructions/replace-tweeter-diaphragm/b-w-n801s-ts26-80-tweeter/c-41
  12. markkb

advent speakers refoamed on top

2 sets—-> stacked Advents!
  13. markkb

AR-2AX find at Thrift Store. I believe they are not the real ones as I expected.

I almost bought some early in my audio journey but my spidy sense was active that day. The fact that they put “this is the original” on the tag is over the top. Maybe Goodwill them, but that keeps the sad cycle going…or alternatively add some major wattage and crank em to 11 playing….
  14. markkb

Check out this giant hoard of antique tube electronics

KiMC3e, thanks for uploading the pictures!
  15. markkb

Great find 5000a

I dig that tune meter style. 5000a was my second Sansui. I recall sublime sound with that unit. It’s now with a friend.
  16. markkb

What are you listening to right now the second you see this post

Paul Pena - Kargyraa Moan Genghis Blues album. I recommend the movie as well, a journey Paul took to Mongolia after learning Tuvan Throat singing.
  17. markkb

Which of these amps would you pair with AR3As?

I restored a pair of AR-3as, and am listening to them now. If you can, restore them and keep for awhile, you can easily move them on later. Definitely check out Classic Speakers Page at ClassicSpeakerPages.net, a group there put together the guide that Capitol C linked. At CSP, Roy C along with...
  18. markkb

SONY STR 7065 vs 7065A??

ArtMann, Thanks for your insight on the Sony 7065A. Although a couple steps below yours, I have a Sony 7045 running for years without a hiccup. All original. I regularly have 4 ohm loads on it with AR-3As. Although I’m sure it can benefit from a power supply recap, I’m pretty amazed that it...
  19. markkb

Migrating from AU717 to BA-F1 combo

Southbus, I found this post below by member Sivo to be very useful. He included a spreadsheet of parts that I’ve used to figure out what to buy. So far, I only replaced the black flags in the BA-F1, and I’ve been running it for 8 months. It sounds good, eventually I’ll get to the restoration...
  20. markkb

FM alignment

Hoping we get a response….
  21. markkb

What are you listening to right now the second you see this post

I’m listening to Rituals and Routines by Marquis Hill. Out of my wheelhouse, but fun stuff, nice grooves, good lyrics.
  22. markkb

Wopl 700b / speakers

Does the WOPL handle 2 ohms? maybe Infinity Kaapa 9s. not sure about ohm rating but AR-9s might be good
  23. markkb

failed sr929 platter strobe

Good stuff. Thanks for the writeup.
  24. markkb

Attribution to audiokarma on Youtube

What’s the difference between a turntable setup and a table saw setup? Turntable has a horizontal spinning disc and a table saw has a vertical spinning disc. Subscribed
  25. markkb

Looking for some guidance ( AR3 Pricing ).

It’s understandable that you don’t want to remove the grill with a high likelihood of breakage. For your ad you should try to get a picture of the drivers, especially the mids. If someone is going to pay a premium they will want to know it has original mids, then tweets then bass. Camera on the...
Back
Top Bottom