Search results

1. scoloheros

Lets see all them Amplifiers!

So it wasn't worth trying to get it working? I wasn't even sure it was an amplifier. Any idea what the speaker brand is? Well OK, I don't feel so bad about missing it now. It sold for $58, I think so. I bought my first good acoustic guitar, a Taylor T5, so I haven't used my amplifiers in...
  2. scoloheros

Lets see all them Amplifiers!

Wow, been a long time since I posted here, turned my place into a hoarder house in the mean time. I didn't know where else to post this. I'm trying to ID what looks like a mini amp from the 30s. I missed it by minutes in an auction. What is this thing, is it an old guitar amplifier? I want...
  3. scoloheros

Realistic model 12-699 concertmaster

OK, I did find an old catalogue advertising this a couple of days ago but it didn't mention a specific external speaker used for it, just showed the model. I think I remember it saying this retailed for $79, something like that. I'll keep digging around.
  4. scoloheros

Realistic model 12-699 concertmaster

I have one of these and there's an external speaker connection. I'd like to get the external speaker that matches this but I can't find any info on what speaker matched up with this at the time this was made. Does anybody here know? I want to keep an eye out for a matching vintage speaker for...
  5. scoloheros

Jensen subwoofer question/pics

I'm wondering how likely it is that this that crossover is still good, sounds OK. Odd-ball system, looks like an info dead-end. I like it so far though, I plan to experiment with it using the Monterey Jr speakers. I'm not big fan of the bass culture we have today anyway, I like it all mixed...
  6. scoloheros

Jensen subwoofer question/pics

I picked up this Jensen Galaxy ll subwoofer, satellite speakers weren't with it. However, I have Altec Monterey Jr speakers that are also 16 ohms, I have a hunch they would go well with this. I had trouble getting the back off, it was sealed tight. It looks pretty well made from what I can...
  7. scoloheros

capacitor testing

I'm trying to get into repairing audio equipment more, I'm starting out with vintage table radios. My multimeter doesn't have a farad/capacitor testing mode. I'm going to get one that does, any recommendations? I have some ideas but I was hoping to get some input from experience here.
  8. scoloheros

Oh That Smell!!

I'm messing around with a smaller radio that was owned by a smoker, it was terrible. I opened the box and the smell transferred to my house for a little while. It was covered, almost sticky with nicotine. I sprayed everything with deoxit and put the guts out in the sun for a day, humid days...
  9. scoloheros

Voice of Music receiver model 1467

Monterey Jr. speakers. My dad bought a pair new in 1961, I think they were the least expensive model at the time, rated at 14 watts. They sat in his attic for years, asked me if I wanted them in 1988. I thought they were junk but ended up putting them in my car and hauling them around from...
  10. scoloheros

Sony STR-AV560

I read about these in a years old thread. Rather than dig that up, starting new. Does anybody have one of these they currently listen to? Some complain of it not having knobs but why not use the remote if you have one? I like vintage with knobs but I'm also a fan of remote control. I was in...
  11. scoloheros

OK, thought I'd take it out of the box and take some pics. It's a lot smaller than I thought it was but heavy. That's good though, I like that it's small. That toad on top jumped in a bucket of oil I temporarily had in the garage, must have been a bad way to go, got rid of that oil, mummified...
  12. scoloheros

My Altecs are 16 ohm speakers, 14 watt. I'm still looking around for the ohm rating on this receiver. I have dozens of 70s receivers but this is my first decent tube receiver.
  13. scoloheros

At 5 watts per channel, what speakers were you using with it? thanks for that link.
  14. scoloheros

Thanks again. If pre-internet and I had one of these, I may have gone years wondering.
  15. scoloheros

Anybody here have one of these? I would like to know the output per channel. Radiomuseum doesn't list the output per channel and there just isn't much info on the net about this receiver. I have two pair of Monterey Jr. speakers, each speaker is rated at only 14 watts. I have a hunch a pair...
  16. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

OK thanks for that fuse info, hard to imagine how lost I'd be without the internet ...phone, driving around everywhere to find info.
  17. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

OK everybody, I really appreciate the input and help. I'm going to work on it, take it apart, clean everything up and try to make it look really good. Old fans are another hobby of mine so I've come to appreciate and like variacs a lot to control speed rather than only having 3 speeds. Are...
  18. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

I hooked the old variac up to a variac, a fan does start working. Been a long time since I used my multimeter, shows continuity around the first few volts then at around 95, nothing in between. Going to check the wiper, clean it up. I can't figure out this part, when I unplug the old variac...
  19. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

I'm definitely going to clean it up, I'd like to make it look really good. I had this idea to test it without plugging it directly into a wall socket, ...test it with another variac. Plug in a working variac to a wall plug and set it to zero, plug in this old one to the working variac and set...
  20. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

Sorry, didn't see your reply before my last post, I'll take a closer look at that. I have plenty of 12ga 3prong cords around here, I keep almost everything, cut things off I can see possibly using later haha.
  21. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

OK thanks, I'll look for other input tomorrow before I test it. You guys that are experienced with these older ones, would you plug it in to test it before you cleaned it up inside? Is that screw between connectors two and three for holding on a cover with plugs?
  22. scoloheros

1960 Ampex Custom Stereo Console

Really curious to see the speakers in this. That's a great compact piece, I'd love to find something like that.
  23. scoloheros

old variac wiring, help!

Been a while since I've posted on AK, my mess is out of control over here. I have a few variacs, love the old ones. I'm not sure how to wire this old one once I clean it up. I'm not real savvy when it comes to electricity. Here's a picture of the connectors. I don't have it hooked up this...
  24. scoloheros

What to do about doucebag neighbor

NY license plate? Well, sometimes there's gossip in hoods and people speculate who did or said this or that about them, I've had my neighbor do that to me. Some guy down the street from him complained to the city that he was living in his house before it was finished. My neighbor assumed it...
  25. scoloheros

Will you change your thrift store behavior?

People have short memories. A lot changed in DC concerning 911 but not so much the public other than those that travel a lot, esp. with incoming generations that didn't experience it. Spanish Flu, H1N1, SARS, etc., a relatively few years later, biz as usual. I'm seeing some fanaticism going...
Back
Top Bottom