Search results

1. PRESSON100

Greta van Fleet. I am supposed to not like this album

I am 62 and thought I would never hear music like this again. I support them fully. I bought both of their albums and will try and go see them! They have the makings of a great band.
  2. PRESSON100

What's wrong with me - new digital vs vintage analog

I listen to CD quality or better. Never any MP3. I still think vinyl sounds better, but I do not have it.
  3. PRESSON100

Have You Ever Been Scammed?

Yes, I learned my lesson.
  4. PRESSON100

Ever get a bad CD? (Bad sounding, not bad music)

Wilson has remixed Aqualung and it sounds much better. That was one of the worst recordings they had.
  5. PRESSON100

Have You Ever Been Scammed?

I may have been scammed on eBay by an international buyer. I said no international buyers but one bid and won anyway. So I shipped a Tandberg 3012 that was working perfectly when I mailed it out. The buyer claimed it was DOA. Sure enough, I was responsible for shipping costs back according to...
  6. PRESSON100

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

Wow! I just ran across your old post here. I am a line array fan as well. What tweeter did you use?
  7. PRESSON100

Best 80's 200WPC power amp?

For me I rank the Tandberg amplifier number one with the Bryston second. Although I have not heard the Accuphase, but I assume it is most likely as good or better. But the original list on this post seems to list middle end amplifiers that would not compare to the three previously mentioned...
  8. PRESSON100

CD's...will they stick around?

It seems like everyone is being lured in to paying more for music. Buying music online and keeping it in the cloud actually costs how much? I only have CDs and don't do this. I would consider going that way, but I would not be willing to purchase MP3 quality recordings as those don't meet my...
  9. PRESSON100

Hello to all and first project!

Since this kind of looks cool, I would remove all the speakers and wiring, remove all the insides of the receiver chassis and build in its place modern circuitry while using the old face and knobs. Then buy modern speakers and install them where the old ones reside. It would still look cool...
  10. PRESSON100

Building a stereo system

I would recommend separates over a receiver. Probably get a hafler amplifier and preamplifier. Halfler made a class A preamplifier that is pretty good. For an equalizer get a teknics 3065. Cannot go wrong. Also, there is an Onkyo CD player for about 160$ that is the best deal unless you want to...
  11. PRESSON100

Anyone here build their own cabinets?

I am 62 years old. I have never bought speakers in my life. Ever. I have probably made over 30 pairs of speakers over the years and feel that my speakers sound better than those I hear in the audio shops. I tend to like the sound of multiple arrays but have build conventional speakers as well...
  12. PRESSON100

Building a stereo system

The best way to save some money is to build your own speakers. Speakers are marked up 10 times what it costs to build them. If you want to go moderate, go to parts express. High end, go Madisound. It is not that difficult to builds your own speakers. You may also build your own amplifiers...
  13. PRESSON100

Opinions on my first dive into Higher End Audio Gear

If you are going to join the high end, in general, most of us use separates. Not to say an integrated cannot sound great, but usually, I prefer separates.
  14. PRESSON100

Opinions on my first dive into Higher End Audio Gear

If you are technical, I would recommend you build the honeybadger amplifier that is described in detail on the DIY site. With the budget you have, that would allow you to have enough left over for a Tandberg 3008 preamp. That would be a top notch system. You can sometimes pick up the 3008 for 350$.
  15. PRESSON100

What are the top 5 record albums in your collection?

I actually have the cd in my possession. I like it. Unusual voice on the lead vocals. Kind of unique. Thanks. Any more like this?
  16. PRESSON100

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

I am over 60 and have never purchased a pair of speakers in my entire life. I have built probably over 30 pair over the years. In general, every time I have gone to the audio shop, I have been disappointed int he sound. Keep in mind I don;t care much about imaging and like a tremendous sound...
  17. PRESSON100

okay, I will try it.
  18. PRESSON100

Where in the hobby would you like to go in 2018?

My goal this year is to get my 1901 Edison phonograph working.
  19. PRESSON100

SILVER TANDBERG TWO-TONE?

I saw that on ebay. I was going to bid but the price seems incredible to pay for an amp that won't power on. Who knows what is wrong.
  20. PRESSON100

I like to think I am open minded, but I cannot find any good, new music. I only like rock and roll. Do they still make it?
  21. PRESSON100

Dark side of the moon Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick Supertramp Crime of the century Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties Led Zeplin I
  22. PRESSON100

No one wants big speakers anymore

To be honest, almost all of us want over sized speakers, but then there is the wife.......
  23. PRESSON100

Amp for low end?

I also have tried a mix of amplifers on my tri-amped system. I was able to add gain trim pots to line them up. I am still interested to try a tube amp as the middle range amp with solid state on the high and low. Have you tried that? The fellow above recommend a tube amp for the bass to the...
  24. PRESSON100

Amp for low end?

Generally, if bi-amping or tri-amping, it is advisable to use identical amplifiers. If the gain is different with the amplifier used, then as the volume is increased, the output from the two or three amplifiers will diverge. That is, unless you are able to go in and adjust the gain in two...
Back
Top Bottom