Search results

1. J

First time hearing aids - please tell me it gets better

I‘m just laughing, reading your comments. It is like you are reading my mind.
  2. J

I guess I’m in the JBL club now- Pro gear version

Funny, my first car was a ‘69 Cutlass. Not like the one in the photo though. A 350 with a three speed automatic. It was still possible to get into trouble with it, even if it wasn’t the coveted 442
  3. J

Sounds like you have some experience with this stuff, thank you for your thoughts. The set up you describe is how I understand the system was originally used. I was also given a couple of mixer type preamps that I think were used for splitting the frequency ranges for biamping, but they look to...
  4. J

So an old friend posted that he wanted to clear out some old pro audio gear he had sitting for the past 10 years. Just pick it up, he said. There were photos of four speakers, clearly JBL pro gear, but the scale wasn’t really clear… What I wound up with today was a SR4700 series combination...
  5. J

Dumb question about using preamp out on an integrated

Looking for a learning opportunity here. I’ve heard that it is not good to run an amplifier without some sort of load on it. But maybe that only applies to some types of amplifiers? Anyway, I recently added a power amp to my system and I am utilizing my integrated amp as a preamp by using the...
  6. J

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

@airbus, great information, thanks! I had forgotten that the Volt D+ was based on the TPA3118. With so much praise for that iteration I will probably go that route and add some sort of Bluetooth receiver. The step up transformer is a great idea if it turns out to be needed but I suspect that I...
  7. J

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Hi Gang! I’m a long time follower of this thread haven’t done much with the TPA amps recently. I’m considering a new project though, and looking for some suggestions for the best way to go about it. I want to build a Bluetooth enabled amplifier, using my phone as a source, to power a pair of...
  8. J

Forget Sound...What Are The Best LOOKING Speakers? (Ever)

I eagerly dove into reading all 11 pages, expecting to find at last a speaker that I could focus my dreams upon. I’ll readily confess that my dream speaker would need to satisfy my aesthetic tastes as much as my sonic preferences. But thus far I’ve only come to the conclusion that speakers are...
  9. J

Denon D 500 mini system - what have I done?

So this turned up on the local Craigslist. In spite of having too much stuff already (sound familiar?) the price was really low and I have an affection for mini systems. I knew nothing about this particular system and an internet search turned up…nothing. Or nearly so. Figuring that at the...
  10. J

Ice amp now complete.....

I hope this thread is current enough for my question to be relevant, but which board did you use? And do you mind sharing where you sourced it?
  11. J

Crutchfield gives vintage gear a black eye

Given that the company’s whole purpose is to sell new gear I was quite surprised to read that they regarded vintage gear with as much reverence as they did. It would be pretty shocking for them to say, “don’t buy our stuff, vintage gear is much better.” In the end I read the piece as a sales...
  12. J

common LED xmas light problems

I did the exact same thing, even the same brand I think, and have had the same problem. In my case the dimming has been intermittent. Please let us know if you figure it out.
  13. J

Gotta buy a drill... Makita or DeWalt.....

If you don’t need a super powerful drill I love love love my Milwaukee 12v drill and impact driver set. I have their 18v set as well and the smaller combo is so much more pleasant to use. A week or two ago Home Depot had a special running, $99 for both tools, 2 batteries and a charger. I made my...
  14. J

Stereo Equipment We Take For Granted

Not a goofy post at all! I think it will be fun to see people pay homage to the gear that doesn’t earn bragging rights but gets used a ton anyway. For me these days that type of gear falls into the convenience category- a Wonderboom portable speaker, Plantronics ear buds, etc. I no longer have...
  15. J

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Not only is it still available, but they’ve somehow managed to warp time to get them to you faster! Site says they are shipping May 3.
  16. J

Would have/Could have/Should have

An interesting thing, following this thread. I expected it to be all about fantastic deals that for whatever reason we didn’t jump on. But many posts, mine included, are not so much about missing a great score, or scroe in Audiokarma-speak. A lot of the posts are about items that, in hindsight...
  17. J

Would have/Could have/Should have

The missed opportunity I regret most was not the most outrageously great deal, but it was a very good one. A friend was selling off the equipment of a friend of his who had passed away. He had quite a competent system, and I did buy a Krell amplifier from him at the time. We set up and...
  18. J

A two week update: I just had a follow up visit to the audiologist. So far I’ve not used the hearing aids much, mostly due to the fact that I don’t need them that much during a normal day (not around people) but also because I really didn’t like the tonal quality of the left ear, my better one...
  19. J

I've had long time hearing loss, with a big drop off starting around 1000hz. I finally got hearing aids which I picked up today. I was warned that high frequencies would at first be alarmingly loud, but yikes! Is this what the world really sounds like? Particular to music, the boost in top end...
  20. J

Have prices for Vintage Gear gone through the roof?

I think that what is happening with vintage stereo is similar to what has happened to vintage automobiles, art, etc. Consider, you can buy a brand new Mustang Shelby 500 for about $80k. You can buy an original ‘60s Shelby 500 for, who knows? Many multiples of the new one in any case. The new one...
  21. J

Suggestions for something better than Topping D50s at similar price point?

I have no experience with it personally, but I’ve been intrigued by all the positive press and capability of the Bluesound Node 2i. Looks like it would function as a DAC in addition to streaming, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. A little more than your budget (don’t you love how everyone always...
  22. J

SX 850 repair Seattle area

I’ve had Blaine (blhagstrom, above) work on a few pieces now and he has been fantastic. Well worth the wait.
  23. J

Emotiva BTR-1 - good idea?

I would look forward to that!
  24. J

I gave some thought to a device like the Chromecast but, if I understood it correctly, I’m limited to analog out so I can’t take advantage of what I’m guessing is the superior dac that I already have. Perhaps that perception is wrong, but essentially I think I’m looking to simply add a device...
  25. J

I am looking for an easy and tidy way to wirelessly stream music from my phone or iPad to my existing living room system. The receiver is an Arcam A19 and I have an older Arcam Rdac which I rarely use. Currently when using my phone as a source I simply use a 3.5mm to rca cable. I don’t require...
Back
Top Bottom