Search results

1. Dadbar

Tube Amp Buzzing Noise Varying with Volume and Changes Channels

Jumper the cathode of the final output tube to one lead of the heater supply for that tube. I'm not sure of what tubes you are running on the amp so I can't give the actual pin designations. It's a very easy mod. There is also another possibility here- headphones are incredibly efficient and if...
  2. Dadbar

Scott 399 & lm-35 multiplexer Service

You can do some simple troubleshooting yourself- clean the tube sockets and reposition the tubes- I would also suggest cleaning the controls with Deoxit. You may just have a weak tube somewhere- verify this by swapping laft channel tubes for right channel tubes and see if the problem migrates...
  3. Dadbar

Since they aren't talked about much....Grado

I used to have a pair of SR60's. My son came home from college and they miraculously disappeared. That was about 10 years ago. Never got around to replacing them. They were a bit janky but some days I wish I still had them.
  4. Dadbar

Do you have two turntables set up for different reasons?

I keep 4 tables set up in 4 different rooms. Two on each coast.
  5. Dadbar

How bad will I screw this up?

Leave well enough alone. If you really want to replace the cartridge it would be safer to attack desoldering from the other end. If it were me I would invest in a second head shell
  6. Dadbar

My First Fisher

Dynaco A25 and Acoustic Research AR-5 are what I've enjoyed with mine. I've also used my Klipsch Heresy's....not so great but YMMV
  7. Dadbar

Fisher vs Scott preamp

I have both Fisher and Scott tube gear, Scott has marginally better phono preamps, and their aluminum chassis age better, Fisher tended to use better resistors and components. Its really a photo finish. I personally prefer the 50's Scott gear with metal knobs and gold faceplates
  8. Dadbar

Try replacing those cables running to the headphone jack with a longer length of shielded cable and run it out of the way of the board, Ground just one side of the shield, The wires going to the pot are already wired this way and i would do the same with the headphone wires as a precaution, If...
  9. Dadbar

Safeguarding floor standing speakers against water leak in home

I use vintage AR speaker stands which elevate my speakers by a foot
  10. Dadbar

New stylus. No highs

Make sure the stylus is fully seated on the cartridge,
  11. Dadbar

I would be concerned with those unshielded flying leads to what looks like the headphone jack, If it were my amp I would either route those leads to the edges of the amp and/or shield those leads
  12. Dadbar

Sound distortion with Scott LK-48-B (Scott 222-D)

I would start with something more basic. You might just have dirty tube sockets that need cleaning and retensioning.
  13. Dadbar

Magnavox Stereo Console Identification

Nice pickup for $15.
  14. Dadbar

Scott LC-21 Right channel noise

In my Scott 299A I totally removed that phase reversal switch which was a huge source of noise and intermittent sound. The circuit in that amp was a little different, but same idea. You won't miss it. I wound up repurposing the slide switch for Power on/off when I replaced the loudness control...
  15. Dadbar

Do indoor antennas vary much?

I've had decent luck using a homemade dipole antenna using twin lead 300 ohm antenna wire. I usee about 10 feet in overall length which is about a full wavelength for my local PBS station.
  16. Dadbar

AR 4x - preparing a rehab

Ditch the L-Pad and replace it with discrete resistors to appproximate full level on the tweeter. The L-Pad is a huge weak link on all these vintage AR units
  17. Dadbar

Advent Large Speakers Troubleshooting

The woofer voice coil might not have been totally centered during the refoaming. I would suggest taking out the woofer and remounting it 180 degrees from its current orientation (upside down). That might help if there is any rubbing.
  18. Dadbar

What is this tonearm I found on a Planar 2 ?

Mayware Formula 4 Mark III. Good luck finding a replacement cable for this arm. Many of the Chinese ones won't fit because the connector on the arm has a deep recess and many of those connectors have a fat shoulder that will prevent the arm from connecting to the cable. I use this Cardas...
  19. Dadbar

KX-100 tube mods

You might find it easier to search for the X-100B which was the non-kit version of this amp.
  20. Dadbar

DIY Shield Wire.

On a guitar amp build I used copper foil tape left over from shielding a guitar body. It worked just fine.
  21. Dadbar

Check out this Fisher KX-100

Looks fine to me....I'm a democrat.
  22. Dadbar

What is this Dual accessory?

That accessory is also used to put the C clip back on. You insert it on the spindle, put the c clip on top and use a coin to push the C clip down. The cone expands the clip and eases it into the groove
  23. Dadbar

Acoustic Research AR-4x: no sound from tweeters

When I recapped my AR5 set, the pots were all bad. I just replaced them with fixed value resistors so I'd never have to worry about them again. No regrets.
  24. Dadbar

How many Turntables do you have active at the same time?

I have 4 different working systems in different parts of life, each with a working turntable- Empire 598, ARXA, Dual 1229 and Dual 1241.
  25. Dadbar

‘62 Magnavox Console - MPX sound quality

In a console chassis you aren't really getting much stereo separation anyway. If I were you I would not bother messing around with the MPX and just enjoy glorious FM mono. Personally, I've also given up worrying about all the noise and hassle of FM stereo and swapped out my tuner for a Scott...
Back
Top Bottom