Search results

1. Scorpion8

What is a good used Tape Deck to look for?

If all you want is playback and an occasional recording, stick to the simpler deck. Denon DRM-540 can be had for a song, and make good sound. Very simple internally. Likewise a Sony TC-K22 or -K44 are simple, piano-key style that can be re-belted in minutes compared to most decks. Good...
  2. Scorpion8

Empire 2600 E/III question

Did you ever find any literature on this cartridge?
  3. Scorpion8

NAD 6155 Cassette Deck Belt Replacement Help

Get yourself a good set of plastic (not metal) dental picks, as they are valuable for poking around and pushing belts through small spaces where fingers are over-sized. Usually the belts can be squeezed thru small gaps created by loosening a few screws without removing major components. Just...
  4. Scorpion8

Empire OP5 Stylus?

I run the whole series of Empire cartridges, OP-5, OP-4, 400TC, LTD500/450/400, etc. Always loved them since my very first OP-5. The original replacement styli are all gone it appears, but turntableneedles.com has good quality replacement styli.
  5. Scorpion8

Turntable happiness "Finally"

Sad to ruin a nice SL-1200.
  6. Scorpion8

Type I cassettes, I thought they sounded bad until today

Back in the day, I always avoided Type-I's in a snobbish derision. Then I tried a TDK AD and AR on a good quality deck. Zoikes! There are many good uses for a quality Type-I tape and some of them approach or exceed a budget Type-II in sound and quality.
  7. Scorpion8

Sony blank cassette opinions?

Depends on the vintage of the UX and it's use by the previous owner. Find yourself some NOS UX-Pro and welcome your ears to a truly outstanding listening engagement.
  8. Scorpion8

Akai "mini"

Had always thought that these looked cool, but had never actually done a laying-of-the-hands on one. Stopped at a church thrift near my house today since I was off work and kicking around, and spotted this. Complete system except for speakers. Akai UC-S4 tuner, UC-F3 cassette deck, and UC-U4...
  9. Scorpion8

Onkyo TA-2058 Cassette Deck - No sound

I had a similar problem with my Onkyo TA-2056 and the culprit was that long sliding master level control. Clean that puppy several times and work it back and forth a lot.
  10. Scorpion8

Anyone here fix Sony cassette decks?

There's a very good tech right there in TN at Hi Tech Service. You'd have to look him up but he's a member here also.
  11. Scorpion8

Teac V-2RX up and running again!

I have a Teac V-1RX and these are very nice decks. Not as defined a soundstage as my better Sony's, but they do make nice recordings and the dBx is fun to try.
  12. Scorpion8

Sweet little tool :)

Nice score. Love neat old things like those that you just don't see available anymore.
  13. Scorpion8

Marrs Communications

Fred always gives good service, but I guess the caveat to that is "eventually". He does post communications updates on TapeHeads quite often, so I have tended to be relaxed about my orders. He always fills them and with good quality stuff. I agree he's probably overwhelmed.
  14. Scorpion8

Problems with HK CD-301 Cassette Deck

Either clean the controls, or re-clean the heads with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and Q-Tips. In fact, use "and" instead of "or".
  15. Scorpion8

Replacing 2sc458's in Akai GX-266D

I'm not finding many "GR" versions available, but plenty of just the 2240's. Any real difference (or what is the difference)?
  16. Scorpion8

Replacing 2sc458's in Akai GX-266D

What are you replacing them with? I did this mod on my GX-267D because a couple in one signal path were dead. Don't remember the transitor I used, but it was an OnSemi device recommended by Dr*Audio except that it wasn't leg-pin compatible, and two legs had to be twisted in the swap. I'd like...
  17. Scorpion8

Cassette Single score

New music to listen to is always good. Nice score.
  18. Scorpion8

Motors for Sony K-650ES cassette deck?

Did you try Sony ServicePlus for parts?
  19. Scorpion8

Ads L 570 Speakers

I win for "oldest thread resurrection" because I just bought a pair of these off CL for $40. Minty, well almost. Very nice units.
  20. Scorpion8

Is TDK metal tpe just not any good?

Wilhem -- Are all these documents available online somewhere? (Edit: I see you have some on your website. Thanks!)
  21. Scorpion8

NAD 6325 find at flea market

A robust deck but not TOTL. NAD was not known as a tape company but they made good but not spectacular decks. The PLAY TRIM is a very useful feature. Clean it up and enjoy it!
  22. Scorpion8

Onkyo TA-2058

I have a TA-2056 Integra that I bought one day years ago when Dr*Audio was wailing on about the Integra series. They are great decks. Mine plays superbly, but has a wonky slider master input slider. Enjoy!
  23. Scorpion8

30 year old cassettes...amazing sound

Many of us have 30+ year old cassettes from the 70's or 80's, and many of them still do sound awesome. Welcome to the staying power of magnetic media. Enjoy those tapes.... I do!
  24. Scorpion8

New Use for Cassette Cases...

Love that!
  25. Scorpion8

I walked home with a wedgie

Regardless, they do look cool. One of the best, most unique looking decks out there. Nice score.
Back
Top Bottom