Search results

1. M

cartridge recommendations for pro-ject xpression III

thanks again guys for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. cheers matt
  2. M

thanks all for your replies--much appreciated. Bob in OKC: yes, I'm saying MM not out of preference but because my McIntosh integrated has an MM phonostage. What don't I like about the Ortofon 2M Red? It doesn't quite sound like vinyl: upper-end detail is pretty good, but mids are lacking...
  3. M

right, just remembered that.... $250 - $400
  4. M

Hi all: to some extent this has been covered in other threads, but i'm hoping to get some even more specific advice. Looking to replace the underwhelming Ortofon 2M Red cart that came stock with this TT. It should be an MM cart. My rig is in the signature below. I listen mainly to classic...
  5. M

McIntosh Remote Controll

my beef about the remote with my 6500 is that the increments for volume adjustment are just too damn huge. One nudge up takes you from too quiet to too loud, and vice versa....
  6. M

MAC1900 owners. Raise your hand!

keeping mine--I use it as a tuner with my MA6500
  7. M

Hi-Fi Center, Vancouver

nice store, nice guys. Can't make it (I'm in Victoria now) but hi to my pal at the store Greg.
  8. M

Grateful Dead Mac pics..

check out this great book: http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Gear-Instruments-Recording/dp/0879308931
  9. M

MC 2300 Deal of a lifetime!

yes, Jerry Garcia used two MC2300s and the preamp sections of two Fender Twins to power his stereo guitar rig. And not just in the 70s, but right to the very end. Enjoy!
  10. M

New to Mac - ma6100 or ma6300 best for my needs?

Markusp: just in case you don't know this site: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/ (I'm in Vancouver)
  11. M

New to Mac - ma6100 or ma6300 best for my needs?

FWIW, I had a 6300 for a while but prefer the 6500. It has more power and a more convincing, laid-back sound (and also tone controls). Now the 6500 model is discontinued, you should be able to find used ones for about the price of the 6300 you mentioned. And if you want to go vintage (and...
  12. M

Which interconnects between my amp & cd?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/teoaudio/liquid.html
  13. M

Interconnect Questions

I have switched to these (RCAs for CDP to integrated) and just love them. A bit pricey but nearly all my friends who've auditioned them now agree they're worth it. The review below is a fun read, too. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/teoaudio/liquid.html
  14. M

Getting Frustrated with Pro-Ject Table

Hey there: FWIW, I have the xpression III with the Ortofon 2M red cart. Dealer did the set up and alignment in the store and all I did at home was level the plinth. It sounds great--certainly no sibilance, distortion issues or anything like that. Perhaps fine tuning w instruments or a set-up...
  15. M

Dead Heads that love McIntosh too

they need to add some Canadian dates, I say! Have fun at the shows two-dot; and maybe give us a report back. Curious about the system they're touring with and whether Healy will ever be back at the controls. His mixing IMO was better than that of his replacements.... anyway, the little...
  16. M

What Mac Gear Would You Recommend?

PS, not to hijack the thread, but upgrading to Liquid Cable interconnects from my old Audio Note ones made a night and day difference in my system. Info at http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/liquid/liquid.html
  17. M

What Mac Gear Would You Recommend?

My very modest system is actually quite close to the one described by PHC1. Using Canadian prices from a few years ago, what we have is MA6500 ($4200); SF Concerto Domus ($3500); Rotel RCD 1072 ($800). The cabling is Liquid Cable from Teo Audio (a friend is involved with the company and I'm...
  18. M

Dead Heads that love McIntosh too

this music thread may get moved, but can't resist a reply to ltleo... 1) Blues for Allah 2) American Beauty 3) Live Dead and then generally for concerts the releases from the Dead's "From the Vault" series are all great shows with superior sound quality and here's a neat coincidence: the...
  19. M

intermittent hum on start-up

thanks Ron. That was the answer I was hoping to hear. matt
  20. M

intermittent hum on start-up

I have a fairly new 6500 and occasionally I notice a fairly loud hum (but if music was on, you wouldn't hear it) from the amp (not the speakers) upon startup that lasts maybe about a second. This happens about half the time. I've searched the topic, but the other threads seem to be about more...
  21. M

buying equipment.

Hi Schoeller: I have the MA6500 and I auditioned B&W 703s, Magnepan 1.6QR and Sonus Faber Concerto Domus. I wound up with the Sonus Faber and I really like them a lot. Initially, what attracted me to them was their smoothness in the upper range; I listen to a lot of old jazz (like Mingus...
  22. M

The Ultimate Classic Rock Section

Fleetwood Mac, "Then Play On" Supertramp, "Crime of the Century" Free, "Fire and Water"
  23. M

3 Favorite Jazz Albums

Hank Mobley, Soul Station Herbie Hancock, Gershwin's World Bobby Hutcherson, Dialogue
  24. M

what cables?

a friend of mine much more knowledgeable (and flush) than I has been raving about a new company called Liquid Cable. Supposed to be a new technology that really works. I haven't heard them so can't say more
  25. M

Mc 2500 or 2300 ?

2300 since that's what another guy named J. Garcia used...
Back
Top Bottom