Search results

1. G

Polk RTi4 no bass

Hi everyone... I just bought a used pair of these, and no matter what I do, it sounds like the woofer isn't even on. I'm talking ZERO signal below, perhaps, 10kHz? The tweeter sounds just fine, but nothing else. For testing, I'm connecting to a Technics SA-400 receiver that I know is working...
  2. G

Technics SP-10mkII speed adjust

Hi everyone... I have one of these units that runs rock-solid at 33 and 45, but 78 speed seems to be running closer to 80-81rpm. I think this was done deliberately by the previous owner (a radio station) to play old 78s that aren't cut at exactly 78rpm. Anyhow, aren't there speed adjustment...
  3. G

Stanton carts: 600 v. 681eee need help!

I've obtained both a Stanton 600A and a 681eee (not sure if it's a mkII or mkIIs or something else). Both have NOS styli with them. So my question is: which one to use? I have either a Garrard 401 w/SME 3009 arm, or a Technics SP-10mkII with A-T 1010 arm. Thoughts?
  4. G

Simple preamp recommendation

Hi all... I''m running a Marantz 1070 as my preamp these days, surrounded by a Garrard 401/Shure V-15V/SME 3009, McIntosh 2505 and JBL 4410's. Sounds good, but I'd like to get a new/newer preamp. Problem is, none of the ones I've seen (with good reviews and under $1000) have tone controls! I...
  5. G

Fancy Console ID help!

Hey everyone... check out this ad for a DJ night... I must know what kind of console that is! It looks like a Dual turntable but I can't tell much else.
  6. G

Shure V-15 V stylus

He has three feedbacks related to this item: 2 saying it didn't fit, and one saying it's fine. Good call, everyone!
  7. G

Shure V-15 V stylus

Anyone know anything about these? Seems like about 1/3 of the prices I usually see. No affiliation... http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLUS-NEEDLE-for-SHURE-V15-Type-V-CARTRIDGE-773-DHE-/370484845885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56429e1d3d
  8. G

Upgrading turntable, should I go vintage?

He agrees: http://trafficblossom.blogspot.com/2015/01/record-time.html
  9. G

New to Jeff Beck

This was in 1993 I believe. That bootleg CD was a huge deal and now... I bet people aren't interested in the concert even as a free bittorrent :( As for Jeff Beck, I'd say his discography is quality not quantity--- he may not have released as many albums as his contemporaries (Eric Clapton...
  10. G

How can I identify this unlabeled stylus please

I second it... used that many times in a Panasonic SG-H10 compact stereo
  11. G

New to Jeff Beck

Here's how I got into JB...For my 10th(?) birthday, I had been given a protection gap (boot) CD of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers + Bob Dylan, at a concert (soundboard sourced) somewhere in Europe, I think. It had decent artwork and sound, but... come on. Dylan + Petty slogging through their...
  12. G

Clairtone in Ottawa

I found a T6 for $10 with a Garrard 3000 changer... it is serviceable but needs a good going over, and the 'table only works as a full-manual unit. Considering that it does not have the space age styling of the earlier units, and it's incredibly heavy, is this even worth it? Seems like another...
  13. G

Looking for a TT

http://trafficblossom.blogspot.com/search?q=turntable
  14. G

Refoaming in Cleveland

A great big thank you to The Vinyl Groove in Bedford, Ohio for doing a fantastic job on my speakers! Great shop and great prices, and the owner is a super-cool guy to talk to. They also have lots of equipment and vinyl for sale! :) Thanks again!
  15. G

Marantz 1070 gain issue?

I've been running a TT+phono pre running straight into the inputs of a 2505. The sound was pretty good (yes, there's a subsonic filter in the phono preamp), and I was using the gain controls on the 2505 for volume. Today, I decided to run a Marantz 1070 integrated as my preamp (using the PRE...
  16. G

McIntosh 2505 gain issue?

I've been running a TT+phono pre running straight into the inputs of a 2505. The sound was pretty good (yes, there's a subsonic filter in the phono preamp), and I was using the gain controls on the 2505 for volume. Today, I decided to run a Marantz 1070 integrated as my preamp (using the PRE...
  17. G

technics SL-82

I think you mean SL-B2... which is an awesome table! Congrats :)
  18. G

First a vinyl revival...and now....this!

I still see the 5050 on their website BUT I see no listings for US offices or contact info. Just a distributor is mentioned from CA. How bizarre -- you'd think there would have been more info out there about the closing.
  19. G

what was the last year that Pre recorded reel tapes

I think Kent has a good point -- for the Floyd fan, this is a Holy Grail. Wonder what it would go for if he just put it up for auction? I bet you maybe even slightly more than $1k! But $5k... I, too, find that very unrealistic. Also, if Columbia House was offering reels through the club back...
  20. G

Refoaming in Cleveland

bump -- anyone in Northeast Ohio?
  21. G

Hahahaha I think we all feel like we can never sell our reels. As for the LAST reel, putting Barclay-Crocker aside, this thread puts the last Columbia Record Club/Columbia House release as Placido Domingo's Great Love Songs. The last, um, COOL release (lol) was the various artists' compilation...
  22. G

And and and... you have to be a member to view the pics here, but read his description of comparing Columbia House (club) reels to store-bought. So now we know what to look for. Wish I still had the Paul Simon reel to compare to the Thriller reel (which I do have, and is certainly a record...
  23. G

This page actually pegs the end as sometime after 1974. http://vinylfanatics.com/analoglovers/page5.html Hmmmmm... This is an awesome mystery you've put together, jdwk! :)
  24. G

I wasn't around yet to witness this first-hand, but I will tell you I've actually owned reel tapes of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (released Nov. '82) and Paul Simon's "Greatest Hits, Etc." (released Nov. 1977). So the end in stores must have been some time in between. Wikipedia (which...
  25. G

Refoaming in Cleveland

I bought a kit for my JBL's but I am just too terrified to try it myself. Anyone have a recommendation for someone that could handle this?
Back
Top Bottom