Search results

1. HBrown

300B DIY Budget Tube Amplifier Build Series

I'm watching closely as well. Everytime I have poked around for information on the 300B I've gotten hurtful pains emanating from my wallet area at the prospects of it. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  2. HBrown

How many of you have actually been making super lucky finds @ thrift shops lately?

They will no longer let you even see the stuff they send to recycle or the landfill. That ticks me off. They protect that recycle/trash like its gold or something. If it doesn't sorta work when they plug it in- it goes to one or the other. If it's an obviously really significant piece that...
  3. HBrown

How many of you have actually been making super lucky finds @ thrift shops lately?

The big chain thrifts seem to go through managers like toilet paper and each has a different way of handling electronics. I've noticed a huge difference in stuff ever making it to the sales floor under different personnel. Sucks, but it is what it is.
  4. HBrown

About a month ago I scored some JBL L-110's at the local goodwill for $17. They seriously needed woofer refoaming, but I knew JBL = good so I grabbed the ticket off them quicker than a wink. Three other guys were standing there ogling them when I came from the counter from paying for them...
  5. HBrown

Found this at the re-store in a pile next to dumpster

Around back, my local GW has what appears to be an all enclosed dumpter/compacter deal. I dunno. I looked, but couldnt see any way to get at anything. Plus, all the cameras, and signs that warn against tresspassing. Geez, can't even dumpster dive.
  6. HBrown

STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

I've heard of chalk on the file before- but I had forgotten about it. A quality file, and an old timer who knows how to use it can create an amazingly flat and smooth surface. I do ok with one, but I've seen close to a mirror-like finish produced with just a damn file before.
  7. HBrown

I once witnessed a guy try to 'surface grind' a part made of aluminum on an 8" wheeled magnetic-base surface grinder. First pass, it launched the part in a horizontal flat-line trajectory- it narrowly missed three other people in the shop before putting a 3" deep dent in a row of metal storage...
  8. HBrown

Yes, surfacing operation = flycutting, just on a larger scale .
  9. HBrown

Petehall, you just accurately described my homemade 'assembly line' for making them. You can do it, but you still have to file/lap some amount. The whole process gets old real fast. Now, if folks would pay $30 a pair, it'd be totally worth it.
  10. HBrown

Have to mill it- grinding operations don't do too well with AL. A steel jig plate was the very first thing I made myself when I was actively futzing around with them. I never drilled more than two plates at once- you could probably do four no problem.
  11. HBrown

The parts I hand cut from a 1/4" thick PLATE of 6061 T6 with a bandsaw took a lot of cutting, but very little flattening. Then I tried flatbar stock. You learn real quick, that flatbar stock sure doesn't come very 'flat'. One side will be convex, the other concave. I actually found it...
  12. HBrown

Once a circuit board is in hand, you have all the needed measurements to make your plates from scratch. A set of calipers, ruler, scribe, hammer & punch, drill press, a few small drills & taps, a bastard file, and a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and a couple hours is all you need to...
  13. HBrown

Yes, you're knocking up against close to the same numbers I was getting from a close friend who DOES own such a shop. I wasnt looking at 50 part orders though- More like 20 part orders. I had him run me a couple of batches. He may could have shaved a bit more off for more quantity- but I was...
  14. HBrown

I think what we are all learning, is that manufacturing companies who own CNC lazers, and waterjets didn't just go out and buy a 500k toy to make small runs of pieces for diy customers. They need return on their investment. They need to pay their employees. They need that machine tool running...
  15. HBrown

With good old vintage, its like the used corvette market- you never find a Corvette with a blown engine for a reasonable price that you could fix up- its either totally gone & scrap, or else completely rebuilt asking top dollar.
  16. HBrown

Same kind of public liability crap in another hobby of mine- converting weed eater engines for use on 1/4 scale RC planes. Mower shops throw them in a bin for scrap metal- and wont even sell you one for top dollar in some areas. I used to get them for $10-$20 ea. at the mom & pop shops and...
  17. HBrown

I'm in the deep south. An hour from the coast, an hour plus from any major city. My grandparents didnt get inside toilets until the 40's. Its so rural my 86 year old mother was 27 years old before she learned to drive a car. Folks just didn't 'DO' much audio in the 60's & 70's in these parts...
  18. HBrown

I said 'retail' above, but I simply meant the going rate for collectors. I dont mess with much bpc. I have a few pieces, but mostly stuff thrown in on trades etc. I have a couple bpc surround receivers but don't really 'do' home theater to any extent. I have a few fisher, and Carver receivers...
  19. HBrown

I like units that dont work. I can afford them. Then, I can make them work. Otherwise, I wouldnt have much gear if I had to pay retail for it.
  20. HBrown

Every third ad on craigslist for the cities I can drive to are for guys advertizing to 'pay cash for vintage or antique stereo gear'. Seriously- they have every vintage brand name tied to their ads and the ads are pervasive and annoying. They have pics of just stacks of equipment and fistfuls of...
  21. HBrown

I hear you Superdog- I'm set with some good pieces from my one-time score- and others I picked up along the way. I've got a super-nice SX-1050, a couple of big Marantz units, a Phase Linear Pre-amp & Power amp, Some nice tube gear, etc... And enough interesting stuff that still needs fixing to...
  22. HBrown

I'll tell you- it's gotten bad here. Take an SX-780, 950 or 1050, let alone a 1250. You can have one burned slap up, with some of the boards just toast in it- needing a complete rebuild- the front face looking like kids practiced target shooting on it with a bb gun- and guys ask $200 - $400 for...
  23. HBrown

I've paid exorbitant shipping costs on the auction site- I've driven two hours one way before- just to lay my hands on a mediocre piece because it was all I could find. The bulk of my collection was from a one-time deal that I would call a score. An older electronics repair shop in a city two...
  24. HBrown

My area is horrible for decent vintage to begin with. In 8 years of stopping by goodwill and a couple of mom & pop thrift stores I've scored a sanyo turntable and a reasonable realistic receiver. Only thing they got a lot of is worn out stuff that came from walmart to start with. I used to have...
  25. HBrown

RCA console amp RS-199C

Hey, thanks for the encouragement on my wiring. It got a little '3D' the further I got with it. When I get it at a level I'm happy with function wise, I'm going to rewire and add a few more terminal strips for wire/component support and safety. I wasnt particularly trying to make it more...
Back
Top Bottom