Search results

1. Sprags

DACs: please someone set me straight

Now this is strange. Here we are on a web site where everyone thinks vintage audio components should cost 1/10 of the original price even after someone has spent at least that much to have it restored to original spec. And the DAC sections of CD transports depending on the CD transport probably...
  2. Sprags

Anyone shooting film these days ?

I have a Pentax ME Super with a manual focus 50 mm F1.7 prime I got last year. It's in 9/10 condition. I thought about getting back into film but I don't even get out to do digital...but I'm hoping to soon.
  3. Sprags

DACs: please someone set me straight

So....I have three different CD 'transports'. If I remember correctly none of them have any way to bypass the internal DAC. I have to believe it can't be good to have a DAC go into a DAC.
  4. Sprags

£23,000 worth of speaker cable on Amazon...read my review!

I met the owner of SilNote Audio at Axpona last April, which is a brand of expensive cables that aren't quite that expensive but pricey nonetheless. The way they demonstrated their cables made audio components sound better was all smoke and mirrors. These cables should be categorized as snake oil.
  5. Sprags

Klipsch Forte and... (Integrated amp)?

I'd strongly recommend a VTA ST-120 tube amp to make your Klipsche Forte's sound as sweet as they can. I have some heavily customized Klipsche speakers that are a Heresy/Forte' hybrid with a Crites crossover. Unfortunately they were dropped in shipping so they look like crap. But the sound that...
  6. Sprags

A-B listening test. Is my hearing shot?

The volume level between the two sources were the same. The Klipsche speakers I have are custom. A guy on the Klipsche forum built them for me. Basically he took the drivers from a pair of Heresy's and put them in a design of his own. Other Klipsche forum members also recommended his design. The...
  7. Sprags

Bolt and plywood stereo shelves????

I built a flexi-rack using 3/4 inch diameter threaded rod x 72 inches long and I made each shelf 18 inches deep x 24 inches wide. I have 9 shelves in the rack and it does sway but in no way is it going to collapse from too much weight being put on the rack. To make it as stable and least likely...
  8. Sprags

Something Ive wondered about (capacitors)

Since everyone eventually needs to be replaced simply bury and replace them all with new ones!
  9. Sprags

Power: More Is Not Automatically Better - Share Examples

I have a VTA ST-120 that's rested at 60 wpc and both my McIntosh MC 2105 and Yamaha CA2010 are both rated at about 100 wpc. I have the ST-120 mated to a Cary SP100 and the McIntosh is connected to a C36 preamp and of course the Yamaha is an integrated. I think the tube amp sounds better than the...
  10. Sprags

Actually when I was in college and spent months picking out my first hifi system I understand very well and could hear the differences between average and state of the art components. To be honest...when I conducted the test last night I did it immediately after turning on the amp which I know...
  11. Sprags

I finally decided to test a few different components to see if the audio quality was significantly different. Basically it was CD players and cables. I have a Cambridge Audio 651C that I got last year for a good price because it was being discontinued that I matched up some decent AudioQuest...
  12. Sprags

Help with choosing my first USB DAC

I too am in the market for a DAC now that I've finally decided to give digital streaming a try. I'm really confused about why DAC's are so difficult to design and make that sound good in the lower price range. This is the 21st century after all. My Marantz and Cambridge Audio CD players sound...
  13. Sprags

Realistic Optimus 25 gets a C minus

What is really amusing is that Realistic products were never considered to be very good even when new.
  14. Sprags

recommend quality brand audio interconnect cable

I find it really hard to believe that anyone can hear a sonic improvement to music when a $5000 for a pair of cables are used in place of a decent reasonably priced pair of cables. As much as I'd like to believe that cables do make a difference if they do the difference is so infinitesimally...
  15. Sprags

Anti-Cables: Best speaker wire ever?

Personally I'm of the belief that as long as the cables are built well and use quality materials and components then they are going to sound good compared to cables that aren't. So I can understand how they might a list price that is higher than what you'd see in the bargain bins...
  16. Sprags

First run of new Technics SL-1200 sells out in under 30 minutes

It all depends on where a person's point of diminishing returns is for a turntable. If I was a zillionaire I guess I would spend $4000 on a turntable, but not the new Technics SL-1200. Earlier I asked what makes the turntable better than the SL-1200 MkII, and I'm guessing most people's opinions...
  17. Sprags

Tube Amp Location

I think the fan is a good solution.
  18. Sprags

Tube Amp Location

Attached is my setup for my sound system and my home theater stuff. I'm not really into surround sound audio/video so the receiver and speakers are cheap and that's ok by me. What I do care about is my tube amp powered stereo. The amp is a Latino VTA ST-120, the preamp is a Cary SP100. I have a...
  19. Sprags

First run of new Technics SL-1200 sells out in under 30 minutes

In what way is the new $4000 SL-1200 different than the the SL-1200 MkII? I'm thinking if it's not much, or if the MkII is actually better made, that maybe the cost of the new turntable will help bump up the value of my 9.5/10 turntable.
  20. Sprags

Cartridge Recommendation for Thorens TD-160

After the suggestion of a Grado Green I navigated over to needledoctor.com and also started looking at the Gold and Silver. As I said in earlier posts I also have a Denon DL-110 along with the Shure V15 III and M97xE. Since setting up this turntable in my bedroom I notice the floor bounce and...
  21. Sprags

I need a dustcover for it
  22. Sprags

Attached are photos of the TD-160:
  23. Sprags

Thanks for the stylus suggestion. I used the M97 as a way the test the turntable to make sure everything functioned on the TD-160. Now that I see it does I may look into the Grado.
  24. Sprags

ever had your dog sing to an album?

I'd like to think my Siberian Husky liked 'Back in the U.S.S.R'.
  25. Sprags

Well...as I said I had a Shure M97xE cartridge I decided to use for my experiment to make sure the TT. After remove the cheap Ortofon Omega I found out I needed either shorter screws or spacers in order to be able to properly clamp down on the cartridge. I found spacers in my supply of stuff...
Back
Top Bottom