Search results

1. DougMac

Happy Birthday to DougMac!

Thanks guys! My audio birthday present was to explore a recently acquired software. I just went with Adobe's subscription service to get Lightroom and Photoshop to replace my old versions. I got academic pricing, so I subscribed to the entire suite, which includes Audition. I transcribed a 78...
  2. DougMac

Does Reel to Reel tape sound superior to vinyl?

I have some albums on both pre-recorded 7 1/2ips tape and LP. I play the tapes with a good quality Teac X100r or Akai deck and play the albums on a Technics SP-15 broadcast turntable with a high quality Audio Technica cart. Some of the tapes sound pretty good, but never as good as the LP. I...
  3. DougMac

NAD Weekend Haul

Nice! I've owned NAD since the early 80's. My 1040 is still going strong!
  4. DougMac

Badmouthing other brands.

I was lucky, no salesman dissed other brands. The thread did make me flash on going to listen to Advents at the store. They played the Doobie Brothers "China Grove" as a demo. They sounded pretty good! I ended up going with some Infinity Qe's, which I still have.
  5. DougMac

So This Is How It's Supposed To Sound?

Smarty pants! :D Notice we did play some rekkids.
  6. DougMac

So This Is How It's Supposed To Sound?

It's nice he got a chance to hear a good system. My wife had a party to celebrate the awarding of a major grant (she authored the application). We had over 30 folks and some of them knew about my dedicated home theater. I put on a blu-ray of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival. They were...
  7. DougMac

"I Love The Music" But The Gear Its Played On Is Secondary"

Precisely. All while hiding behind a porcine mask of anonymity.
  8. DougMac

A Music Lover and "Everything But Country and Rap" A Thoughtful Article

My future daughter-in-law's apartment was used for a scene in The Wire. They didn't do a lot of set dressing, they pretty much used it as is. You can actually see a photo of my wife and I that is sitting on the mantle. One of the creators of The Wire was a former Baltimore Sun reporter...
  9. DougMac

1966, 1967 and 1968

You need to add the Kinks, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin and a bunch more to the list.
  10. DougMac

A Music Lover and "Everything But Country and Rap" A Thoughtful Article

I'm sure there are more educated articles on country and rap music than this article by a white, upper middle class girl who quotes a book by another white, upper middle class girl and who loves Sonny and Cher. It's like reading an article about French wines written by someone who has never...
  11. DougMac

Poll : Your Life's Decade of Memorable and Meaningful Songs

There's no decade to which I'd like to return. I've enjoyed them all, both in life and in music. However, I regard 0-10 as the most formative period. I was born in 1950, right at some of the most monumental changes in the record industry, with the introduction of tape recording, 45s and LPs...
  12. DougMac

What is your ideal audio format and why?

Ideal or favorite? I'd say multichannel digital - DVD Audio, SACD, Blu-ray is my ideal. They sound incredible. My favorite though, even we all the shortcomings are records, from 78s to 33s to 45s. I've been buying them for 60 years now.
  13. DougMac

What is the best & easiest to use software for inventorying a collection?

Since I'm a software developer, I created a custom database for my collection. Depending on what you plan to with the information, a spreadsheet will probably do fine. Excel filters are pretty powerful. I'm trying to help those who will need to dispose of my collection after I'm gone, if I...
  14. DougMac

What non-audio hobbies/interests do you have?

I have a degree in commercial photography and spent 25 years in photography/film/video. Successful professional photography is about 10% photography. I missed the photography part. I went back to school and earned a computer science degree so I could earn enough money to pursue my photography...
  15. DougMac

Power Cords and A Mac Mini. They Can Make A Difference

Is my considered opinion negated if I have no direct experience with a phenomenon, even if that opinion is firmly grounded on a foundation of knowledge of science? I have never stuck my hand underneath a running lawnmower.
  16. DougMac

Estimate how much money you have wrapped up in your music collection

I bought my first record in 1956 and haven't stopped yet. I'd be hard pressed to come up with how much I've spent over the years. When I was a kid, I'd get $1.00 a week in allowance. Every week I'd spend at least part of that to buy a 45. When my younger son was in high school, his trombone...
  17. DougMac

The same can be said of you. You are intolerant of other viewpoints, no matter how politely put. You also seem to have a need to win every argument and will drag a thread out to make sure you have the last word. You see the speck in the eye of another and miss the log in your own. I'd love to...
  18. DougMac

A Poll For Your Age and Cost of Main System

OP clarified this in an earlier post. Wording is ambiguous, but he meant your age.
  19. DougMac

I can think of a couple of other interesting polls. The first is cost of system correlated with number of albums (in any format) owned. Add age as well. Streaming media may skew the results. I remember when back in the '60s a 100 record collection was considered pretty big. Us booomers have...
  20. DougMac

I was torn on what to designate as my "main system". The system in my home office has the turntables and I use it to restore 78s as well as play music while editing photos. It consists of vintage NAD amps and preamps, three Technics turntables, two RTR tape decks and a cassette deck. The other...
  21. DougMac

I am also a computer scientist and have been working in the field for over 30 years. In addition, my younger son has two Masters degrees, one in music performance and one in digital music. He worked as a researcher at Johns Hopkins and developed software that can recognize musical phrases...
  22. DougMac

If true, that begs the question why the OP is using it for a digital content server?
  23. DougMac

I went back and checked the original post. Some of the subsequent posts justifying the use of this third party power cord is for noise rejection, such as RF frequencies. Well, it will be used on a digital device. All data that is incoming, stored and output is digital. By it's very nature...
  24. DougMac

Poll: Luxury Forum?

What is a "luxury" item? Is an item that would be a luxury for someone making 48k a year a luxury for someone making 248k a year? I'm too practical I guess. I own a lovely Leica M3 film camera and ascribe to the theory of the "Leica look". Leica has recently introduced their latest digital...
  25. DougMac

American Epic

It's been a great series. Hats off to the executive producer Jack White and everyone else responsible.
Back
Top Bottom