Search results

1. Kreshna

Non-vintage, DIY or budget speakers that sound similar to NHT SuperZero?

Believe it or not I no longer long for the airiness of JBL titanium dome tweeter. About two years ago I complained that Solen caps in NHT SuperZero make trumpet sound harsh, so I put those little guys away. Recently, my Sansui AU-7900 has been fully restored (yes, the Sui broke again after the...
  2. Kreshna

What are your "unexpectedly good" loudspeaker-amplifier combos?

I read good things about Class D chip amps like Tripath and TPA, so I eventually decided to buy a 2 x 100 WPC TPA 3116D2 in 2018. Unfortunately the amp has loose heatsink (it's very cheap anyway), which hasn't been re-glued until recently. Indeed, the amp is very cheap. In any case, the...
  3. Kreshna

Do different types of tweeter with the same material sound similar?

I enjoy the rich sound of B&W DM302. I also love NHT SuperZero's marvelous vocals, pinpointed imaging, and deep soundstage. But eventually, my favorite speakers are still JBL models with titanium dome tweeter; JBL 120Ti, JBL L20T, JBL 4410, to name a few. Yes, they can sound etched with certain...
  4. Kreshna

Question about parallel resistor and attenuation.

Very lately I've become interested to build Craig Coley's Compact Point Source Open Baffle; a highly sensitive, coaxial 12" open baffle loudspeaker that uses Eminence Beta-12CX woofer and Dayton D250P-8 polyimide compression tweeter. Alas, the tweeter is no longer available, and nor is its...
  5. Kreshna

Why are chip amps often described as having "tube sound"? What are the similarities between them??

Alright, I often read chip amps being described as having sound similar to that of tube amps. Why? Are there really similar characteristics between chip amplifiers and tube amplifiers? And if there are, what are they? This one is an example: I have -- deliberately I might add -- refrained from...
  6. Kreshna

Solen caps in NHT SuperZero make trumpet sound harsh and ear-hurting

About two weeks ago (September 15, to be exact) I replaced the crossover capacitors of my NHT SuperZero with Solen caps. I noticed the overall sound became less grainy and more fluid, especially cymbals and hi-hats. My wife is not an audiophile, so she doesn't understand audiophile jargons like...
  7. Kreshna

"Big speakers in small room is bad," myth or reality?

I have read many times that big speakers in small room is a bad thing, because those big speakers need 'breathing room' that they won't sound optimally in small room. But is that true? I knew about drivers' coherence issue; that with certain loudspeaker models, the drivers are set apart from...
  8. Kreshna

How does JBL LX300 compare to earlier titanium-domed JBLs?

How does JBL LX300 compare to earlier titanium-domed JBL models of comparable size? Does JBL LX300 sound better than, say, JBL L20T, due to more advanced technology? Or does it actually sound worse due to cheaper materials? For starter, JBL LX300 uses 027Ti titanium dome tweeter, while JBL...
  9. Kreshna

Does Sansui AU-7900 drive difficult load speakers better than higher specced amplifiers?

Okay, this is about my B&W DM302, whose impedance drops to 3 ohms from 200 to 300 Hz, and to 5 ohms between 10 to 20 kHz. When driven by 25 wpc Sansui A-40 (not the best of Sansui, apparently), the resulting sound is strained and shouty. Very fatiguing. B&W DM302's impedance curve, compared...
  10. Kreshna

I am a father again! :)

Last year I got married and became a father And then we were three. Guess what happened about nine months later? ;) Now we were four. Allow me to introduce the youngest member of my family: Siti Trianovi Salsabila, or Tria for short. She was born on June 27 at Limijati Hospital, Bandung...
  11. Kreshna

TAKET BATPURE super tweeter, has anyone tried it? Also, super tweeter suggestions?

Found a really intriguing supertweeter model named TAKET BATPURE, seems to be Japan-made. The price is unbelievably cheap, considering a single Fostex T90A super tweeter will set you back about four hundred bucks. An example of the supertweeter application, right from the website. Has anyone...
  12. Kreshna

Still hesitant to use modern amplifiers, recommendations are welcome.

I'm not saying vintage amplifiers always sound better than modern ones, I'm not saying Sansui AU-7900 is representative of the sound of all vintage amps either. Just like modern amps, there are good sounding vintage amps and there are bad sounding vintage amps. It's just so happens that the...
  13. Kreshna

[NHT SuperZero crossover mod] can you use 5.1uF capacitor instead of 5uF?

Found an interesting crossover modding suggestion for NHT SuperZero: I suggested all of the owner to modify this speaker:- 1.change the wire with another good quality wire,i use TARA LAB 8N multi strand(crossover to treble & bass speakers, solid core 8N copper wire(from input to crossover)...
  14. Kreshna

Why do some speakers sound good at loud volumes, while some others the opposite?

Loudness-wise, it seems JBL 120Tis are quite balanced speakers. They sound great at loud volumes, but they never lose details when played quietly. My Sansui AU-7900 has loudness switch, but with the 120Tis, I never need it. When I bought the B&W DM302s, I liked how they sound at low to moderate...
  15. Kreshna

NHT SuperZero 2.1 or NHT SuperZero original? Does the former sound worse?

Recently I've bought a pair of NHT SuperZero XU, and have fallen in love with their sound ever since. Those SuperZero sounds great even when driven by the amplifier section of a cheap Aiwa component system. Upgrading the amplifier of course makes them sound better. Currently the SuperZeros are...
  16. Kreshna

Please recommend 5 channel (or 3 channel) power amp for NHT SuperZero

So I've bought a pair of NHT SuperZero recently. At first, I drove them with an old Aiwa component system, and me and my family instantly fall in love to the sound! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that SuperZero can sound good even when driven by such cheap amplifier. Me and my wife...
  17. Kreshna

What is NHT SuperZero A450?

Occasionally on ebay I see NHT SuperZero A450 being offered. I noticed their serial number always begin with 'A450-'. What are they? Are they merely the original NHT SuperZero reviewed by Stereophile magazine? Or are they actually different breed altogether? If it was the former, why didn't...
  18. Kreshna

Rear speakers for B&W DM302 L-C-R?

I'm building a home theater with Bowers & Wilkins DM302 L-C-R fronts. The DM302 is current-hungry and pretty hard to drive; its impedance drops as low as 3 ohms between 200 and 300 Hz, so I'm going to drive them with three Hypex UcD monoblocks. B&W DM302 impedance curve. Rear speakers...
  19. Kreshna

I am a father

No, it's not what you think: I did not impregnate some woman years ago only to find out I'm a father, it's nothing like that. :D Rather, I got married few months ago. :) My wife and stepdaughter. Allow me to introduce my wife, Evi Novianti, and my stepdaughter, Shafa. Evi was a widow when I...
  20. Kreshna

How difficult to assemble a Hypex kit for the unitiated?

I have never self-assembled an amp before. I have never did a DIY before, except assembling my own PC. However, Hypex Ncore stirs my interest due to the rave review it received. An NC400 mono kit is too expensive for me, especially since it will be my first try. But I am interested to assemble...
  21. Kreshna

Speaker level to line level converter; how bad the distortion is? (plus crazy idea)

Speaker level to line level converter is used when you take an amplifier's output then put it into another amplifier's input, basically connecting two amplifiers in serial. The only reason for doing this is because the first amplifier doesn't have pre outs, so you have no other choice but taking...
  22. Kreshna

Crown; a victim of unfair generalization?

In many forums I've seen no love for Crown amps. Crowns are often described as "reliable, but not very good sounding." However, while I've never owned nor heard any Crown yet, I found it hard to believe they're bad-sounding amps. First, Ken Rockwell's measurements suggest that Crown D-75 is a...
  23. Kreshna

Could anyone describe the sound of IRS2092? Is it good?

Tripath and TPA chip amps are quite well-known, and some models are highly praised; an example is TPA3116, which is quite popular. How about IRS2092? It seems IRS2092, when complemented by IRFB4227, can go pretty powerful. But how does it sound? Anyone tried it? Could anyone describe the sound...
  24. Kreshna

Parallel-mono operation: why aren't many amps able to do it? What are the downsides?

Bridging seems to adversely affect an amplifier's capability to drive low impedance load. An amplifier rated to drive a 2 ohm stereo load (2 ohms on each channel) is only going to be able to drive a 4 ohm (or higher) bridge-mono load. A 2 ohm bridge-mono load will more than likely destroy the...
  25. Kreshna

How does Dolby Pro Logic material sound when processed by Sansui QS?

You have an old DVD player playing a Dolby Pro Logic (Dolby Surround) source material, channeled through the player's L and R analog output (Dolby Pro Logic signal is always matrixed into stereo). You then connect the player's L/R output into a Sansui QS' L/R stereo input. This way, the Dolby...
Back
Top Bottom