Search results

1. Redboy

Big thanks to Rex Runner !

@Rex Runner sent me a nice RCA manual for free; I couldn't even convince him to let me pay shipping! Nicely done, sir. You're A-Okay by me! :thumbsup: Nate
  2. Redboy

Repurpose yer old junk...

@byoungman1 sent me these crusty old transformers a while back, so I tied some wires to ‘em and plugged ‘em into the main system... Yep, they’re a-okay! :) Thanks Bryce!
  3. Redboy

Kudos to nolasally!

@nolasally Josh and I cooked up a convoluted partial trade deal that was over a year in the making... It involved several heavy, fragile packages being shipped in both directions and a lot of careful coordination. Josh was always responsive and he knows how to pack this stuff to survive -...
  4. Redboy

Don Garber of Fi has passed

Sad news this morning when I learned that Don Garber, one of the great tube amp artists of our modern times, has passed. He died at home a few days ago. Don was best known in our audiophile community for his part in the "SET amp renaissance" of the 90s, and his contributions to Sound Practices...
  5. Redboy

Jaymanaa

@jaymanaa sent me some stuff, and it was good stuff. That Jay fella's a pretty good egg.
  6. Redboy

My coolest vintage tube amp!

Old. Rare. Overbuilt... Yes, yes and yes... Mil-spec? Uh huh. And perhaps the coolest thing... It's a two channel amp, but it predates stereo. Nope, not a stereo amp. Please don't tell my wife that I put this thing on the dining table!
  7. Redboy

7/15/38

It tested OK in '38... Probably still just fine, right? :-)
  8. Redboy

Quick 'n dirty FrankenIdler setup - my toes are tappin'!

I cobbled together a few spare parts from a few spare turntables today, and here's the result... It's ALIVE!!! (and sounds pretty good, too!)
  9. Redboy

S.B. Co?

Noticed a tiny imprint on the base of a globe 46 tonight... Does anyone know who SB Co. is/was?
  10. Redboy

Holy BOGEN! D265 stereo amp and PR2 preamplifier find

I'm a diehard fleawatt fan but there are times when even a triode junkie like me finds himself drawn inexplicably to a big bad push-pull monster. That's what happened today... I stopped at an audio garage sale of sorts and walked away with this thing.
  11. Redboy

Next build: the JE Labs tube linestage

I'm forever grateful to Joseph Esmilla for his excellent blog (and predecessor website) - it's inspired many projects of mine over the years and I find myself referencing it over and over. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and spend a couple hours poking around...
  12. Redboy

Need an umbilical - got suggestions?

I'm working on a tube linestage with a separate, remote power supply and I'd like ideas for connectors between the two. I'm familiar with the Amphenol mil-spec stuff but it seems overkill here. My chasses are smaller aluminum enclosures and I'm shooting for a retro industrial aesthetic with it...
  13. Redboy

Nate's holiday project

I had a few days off over Christmas, so I did a little cutting and soldering. No new ground covered here - I've been down this same little road several times before... Here's what's shaping up.
  14. Redboy

Input transformers as line out? Or am I gonna cook these things?

I think I already know the answer to this question, but let's float it anyway. I'm considering a preamplifier circuit along these lines (this is Joseph Esmilla's) The Tango line out transformers he used are unobtanium, but I have these input transformers that I could just run...
  15. Redboy

byoungman1 keeps taking all my money...

...just as fast as I can throw it at him. I couldn't be happier about it. :thmbsp: (Damn this nasty glass habit!)
  16. Redboy

Two preamps, four 'n a half sets of speakers, a blown receiver and a green tu...

...is it possible? And please ID these spikker?
  17. Redboy

Happy Birthday to ejfud!

Happy birthday Gary, my friend! I hope it's a great one.
  18. Redboy

Bent Audio Slagleformers: my passive preamp endgame

For a couple of years, I have been using a passive preamplifier built with "Slagleformer" modules, which are Dave Slagle's excellent autoformers packaged in a remote-control friendly circuitboard by John Chapman of Bent Audio. They are absolutely wonderful modules, allowing volume and balance...
  19. Redboy

My new old amp project: SE46 monoblocks

I figured out a couple years back that the thing I like most about this hobby is making stuff, specifically single ended tube amplifiers. It's good mental exercise for me, to research different circuits and topologies, theories and tube types, ideas and plans. If I progress beyond the research...
  20. Redboy

What's he building?

What's he building in there? What the hell is he building In there? Something about this photo made me think of the Tom Waits song... :)
  21. Redboy

Fancypants!

I'm assembling a new preamp, and there's something about it that makes me want to put my pinky finger in the air...
  22. Redboy

Yet another Pilot SA-232

A while back, I picked up a Pilot SA-232 from a fellow AK member. I don't know exactly how many of these I have owned over the years, but this is probably the fifth or sixth of the bunch. It seems that I am meant to own a Pilot SA-232... With that in mind, I am putting a little more into...
  23. Redboy

An idea for the next build...

I thought I'd start with these. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  24. Redboy

Altec 4722 transformers for SUT duty

A few months ago when I visited Ron (AKa doucanoe), he sent me home with a pair of Altec 4722s that had been sitting on his shelf. These little green transformers are pretty sought after as passive devices for step up duty, so I was excited to hear what they could do for the Denon 103 cartridge...
Back
Top Bottom