Search results

1. 1970's Fan

How much to spend on cables?

Gosh it’s been ages since I’ve been here! When we’re told to spend 15% of our system’s value on cables, does that mean on each cable or pair of cables, or on all system cables combined?
  2. 1970's Fan

I’ve connected the Little Dot MkII amp as a preamp

I’ve connected the Little Dot MkII amp as a preamp And spun a record to test I’d connected it ok. I only gave it as long as 1 track. When I switched off the Little Dot, I got that loud pop noise. It gave me a fright. Is there a safer, quieter sequence in switching it off? Or do I just turn down...
  3. 1970's Fan

Who likes clocks, especially old ones?

I have been feeling nostalgic for a while now and got an Edwardian oil lamp, then an oil lamp that has been converted to electricity. That one didn't have a shade, so I got one that was delivered today. I know, I’m on about lamps instead of clocks lol, but this is what started me of after seeing...
  4. 1970's Fan

Static when connecting DAC from PC to Hifi

I got a Topping D10s and tried to connect it between my iPad and HiFi. Not a sound. Even tried using the camera connector thing and gave the iPad power too. Still nothing. I tried connecting it to my laptop.I downloaded the drivers from the Topping website. Nothing at first but then faint music...
  5. 1970's Fan

Interesting old school stuff you still use.

I took the plunge and bought this oil lamp. The photo below, is this lamp in a catalogue. It is a Hinks lamp. James and Joseph Hinks patented the duplex burner and the extinguisher lever in 1865 and extinguishes the wick if the lamp is upset. duplex. hinks 3. Hinks No2 Triple is a variation on...
  6. 1970's Fan

Krups Coffee Grinder

I got a coffee grinder which I ordered a day after ordering some coffee beans, so that when my coffee grinder arrived, I’d have some beans ready to grind in it. Well, just as I had started to type this thread, about the grinder being here but no beans yet, the beans were posted through my...
  7. 1970's Fan

Refurbished Bagpipe case

I thought I’d tidy up my pipe case for something to do. First picture is of the paint stripped off the top so far. The finished result is a bit better. I’ve still to paint the metal parts of the handle in black. The handle is metal and had insulating tape on it so I covered it using the faux...
  8. 1970's Fan

Snake oil

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-companys-chordohmic-fluid-promises-improved-cable-signal-transfer I can’t see this as anything other than snake oil, Unless I’m missing something.
  9. 1970's Fan

Installing led lights under an acrylic platter

I’ve been wondering about doing this for a while and I just came across this video which happens to be installed on the same turntable I have but in black. https://youtu.be/0atG-iPt17I
  10. 1970's Fan

Post your Speaker wires bought or DIY

These are my first DIY speaker wires. They are made from 12awg DCSk wire. I had difficulty finding 4 core 12 gauge wire, so I got twice as much 2 core and twisted them together using a drill. I got the blue and gold braiding off eBay. I had a look at my current wires and they are, at most, only...
  11. 1970's Fan

Anyone use Yamaha apps?

I got the Yamaha NP controller app on my iPad for my Yamaha CD - N301 and all was well until I clicked on MAC filter. The app locked me out and it was driving me nuts. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, then I unplugged the CD player for over an hour but still no joy. I finally emailed...
  12. 1970's Fan

Subwoofer out on amp

I was watching a video on you tube about subwoofers and the guy said it’s better to connect from pre-outs on the amp to high line on subwoofer. My subwoofer has line in but no high line inputs. He said AV amps for home theatre have sub out. My amp is a Yamaha A S701 integrated and only has a...
  13. 1970's Fan

Sivga SV006

I’ve ordered a pair of Sivga SV006 from Amazon. My AKG k92 cans denied me the sound through the right driver. I still have my AKG k702 cans to listen with but as they’re open back, they’re only good for when wifey is out, because my iPad isn’t powerful enough to drive them since the amp is...
  14. 1970's Fan

My New Blair Digital Chanter

i got this chanter a week ago. I have updated the firmware and added a new instrument to it (Small-pipe in C). So now it has the sounds of GHB (Great Highland Bagpipe), SML (Small-pipe), PTC (Practice Chanter) and USR (Small-Pipe in C). The sounds are sampled from real bagpipes and the sound...
  15. 1970's Fan

Max, our cat is being put to sleep this afternoon.

Because our wee puss has a heart condition and fluid builds up just outside his lungs, it’s squeezing his lungs, making it harder to breathe. He has been on the maximum doze of diuretic meds. He has gotten much skinnier since August and a new scan revealed a mass which the vet says is bleeding...
  16. 1970's Fan

I’ve just brought an old-ish laptop back to life.

i have a laptop that I haven’t been using for ages since I got this iPad and remembered how slow, unresponsive and frustrating it was. It was Windows 7 and I’d given up on it and empted it as much as I could. At first I tried to restore Windows 7 on it but ran into error after error and nearly...
  17. 1970's Fan

First Rose Cuttings

The top picture is how my first rose cuttings looked soon after planting. The bottom picture is of the middle cutting as it is now. I’ve put it in its own pot. I’m so pleased at its progress.it looks beter each day. The top 5 leaves were kinda furled up yesterday and now they’re opened right up...
  18. 1970's Fan

Our precious puss is very ill.

Our good wee boy, Max is at the vets. We took him for a general checkup because my wife saw he was breathing a bit hard. He was in overnight last night because they found he has fluid in his lungs. This morning, the vet said she tried to drain it, something about a dioretic. It didn’t work so...
  19. 1970's Fan

What genre of music is this?

reacently, I was watching you tube videos on DIY speakers. I found that I really liked an artist being played which was Stevie Ray Vaughan and the track was Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place in Town). This is not the genre of music I listen to but I was spellbound! I went to find it and save it...
  20. 1970's Fan

I put this under my subwoofer

When we got our kitchen refitted, we had no use for the granite slab like this one that we had. It was sitting against the wall outside the back door and I just thought I’d see if it could fit under my subwoofer. It fits exactly, as if it was made for it. I tried some Chico Hamilton and the...
  21. 1970's Fan

Closed back AKG recommendation?

I have AKG reference K702 headphones which are superb but because they are open-backed, I would like a pair of closed-back ones for listening to spotify so that I dont disturb the wife as she’s watching her television. Any recommendations as to what model to get? I have been looking, online, at...
  22. 1970's Fan

Wifey got a new smart forfour.

I went with my wife to pick up her new, orange and black smart forfour yesterday and while she was doing the paperwork and on the phone to get temporary insurance cover, I went for a stroll to see the Mercedes convertables :D. As I looked at an SLC250d with the hard top down, the girl at the...
  23. 1970's Fan

Anyone traded in camera equipment? What's your experience?

I am thinking of trading in my Fuji Xpro1 and three lenses (18mm, 27mm and 35mm) to get a Nikon D7100 or D7200. I have looked at some companies and have narrowed them down to mpb.com as the best so far. I used to sell to Jessops years ago and they were great back then but now, if your camera is...
  24. 1970's Fan

Tony Bennett Concert

Booked a ticket for Tony Bennett concert :banana:. Glasgow Concert hall. Never heard of him being at Glasgow before but then I wasn't a fan until not that many years ago so I wouldn't have noticed. Now, if only someone would invent the time machine, I could go back and see Frank Sinatra, Dean...
  25. 1970's Fan

Any model train enthusiasts?

My wife gave me gift cards for Christmas and I used them to buy a Hornby Duke of Gloucester 71000 train set. I always wanted an electric train set when I was little but never got one. When I got older, I thought I was too old for them but I recently decided that it's now or never.
Back
Top Bottom