Search results

1. drasp

AU-9500 diag question & Florida tech recommendation request

These are great - THANK YOU BOTH!!!
  2. drasp

I’m in St Pete, work in Palm Harbor, but would happily move the amp to anyone in the state w/o much trouble, if they were the right person. . .
  3. drasp

Haven't been on the forum much in recent years. My long-time "end game" amp, a very clean AU-9500 had been fully re-capped & serviced by an AK member who used to be local to me and following this work it played very nicely for ~6yrs before developing an intermittent noise in one channel...
  4. drasp

Sansui Crisis of Faith - Emotional Support Needed. . .

Give me a few examples of the European brands you’re referring to? I’d be pushing my Klipsch Quartets, which I love. Looking for an amp that plays well with them.
  5. drasp

This is what I was looking for. And audio_cas mention of the Denon unit. I’m happy feeding my Sansui with a modern DAC on several counts, didn’t think about the possibility that the right modern box could ALSO add remote power switching! Anyone here have the opportunity to hear a McIntosh...
  6. drasp

I did! Excellent points in both posts. I especially appreciated your “not a religion” statement. As much as I love getting swept up in the romance of old gear, I sometimes worry that kind of thinking is just coloring my outlook.
  7. drasp

LOL, had to re-read myself to jog my memory! Appears I was asking for feedback from Sansui fans who have personally moved away from the old amps and found happiness with modern gear. . .if any such folks still haunt this forum.
  8. drasp

I feel like some posters aren't actually reading my posts, LOL. . . *sigh*
  9. drasp

LOL, we're a musical family & I'm lucky enough to have a small studio in my home full of vintage tube amps, synthesizers, recording gear, samplers, etc. This is NOT a case of lazy people hating on great musical gear - I think my Wife's points are quite valid, and I think someone who cares...
  10. drasp

Great responses. I've certainly considered putting the Sansuis on a "smart outlet" or "smart strip" which also has the benefit of protecting the fancy integrated rotary power/speaker switch - one of the trickier wear items on these amps to address. Anyone here actually running their old gear...
  11. drasp

Great question - not surprised to see an "N+1" response as the first in this thread! I've personally been through years enjoying this hobby (and many others) as a "collector", but found that for me, it is best to minimize and keep my life as clutter-free as possible. I've also got quite a...
  12. drasp

I've had my AU-9500 & TU-9500 combo for several years now. They literally stopped my compulsion to hunt for cool old 70's audio gear for at least the last ~5yrs. I've spent a LOT of $$$ on having them gone through - not just a basic re-cap, when some of the transistors started to become noisy...
  13. drasp

Yamaha A-S1100 Owners?

Bump with the same question as JesseS above. Anyone move from a classic ‘70s amp to one of these? I’ve got an AU-9500 that I paid dearly to have fully restored a few years back. Love it like crazy, but every once in a bike an amp like this makes me wonder how it would stack up!
  14. drasp

Restoration/Upgrade Of Scribby31's Sansui AU-9500

Oh, Duh! Thank you!!! :)
  15. drasp

Restoration/Upgrade Of Scribby31's Sansui AU-9500

Oh no, pix are gone!!! These need to be found/preserved. . .
  16. drasp

661 in for repairs, G-2000 as temp replacement?

Snagged it tonight. It's VERY clean and pretty. First G I've had hands/eyes on. Certainly not built like the older stuff, but interested to hear how it'll sound pushing the little KGs. The system is in a large dealership service shop, so there are dozens of other technicians, many of whom...
  17. drasp

661 in for repairs, G-2000 as temp replacement?

My trusty 661 just went down and is in the shop for at least a couple weeks. Can't go that long w/o tunes. Found a G-2000 in nice shape local, not a steal, but not terrible, and it looks really clean. . . Anyone have experience with these entry level G series 'Suis? Just need something to...
  18. drasp

Sansui 661

I have one driving a pair of small Klipsch KGs at work. Actually just died after a coworker left it idling for several days w/o realizing it. Wasn't anything I could see wrong (fuses good, no visual signs of failure, everything lights up, etc) so it's off being diagnosed now. Trying to decide...
  19. drasp

Sansui Au 9500 and Klipschorns

I have an AU-9500/TU-9500 pushing a pair of very clean Quartets. The combination is just fantastic. So good that I decided to drop more than the '9500 pair is really worth on having them gone through to a very high standard. I don't think I've ever played the setup for someone who wasn't...
  20. drasp

"Restoring the glow" on oiled walnut Quartets

Well, I was down to my final coat & the Quartets are looking absolutely stunning!!! Then I failed to fully wipe the excess off in a few areas & its now hardened into a gross/thick mess. Going to try one more coat & see if the steel wool + fresh oil will soften & remove the hardened excess -...
  21. drasp

Ooh!? Do tell. . . I've been applying the oil w/ 0000 steel wool as suggested here, and by the manufacturer, but hadn't thought of sanding. Do you wait a bit for the oil to dry down, then sand it out?
  22. drasp

Wanted to report back & thank everyone who replied!!! I'm 2 applications in w/ the Watco Rejuvenating Oil & absolutely blown away with the results. Has made an absolute transformation of the cabinets which were flawless, but the wood seemed dull & lifeless, is now glowing, 3-dimensional &...
  23. drasp

AU-999 refurb - raising the sonic bar courtesy of Kevzep and Stereofun

Forgive me if I missed it in the thread, but just curious what state of repair your '9500 is in. Mine is fully restored, but w/o any real mods. I absolutely love it with my Klipsch Quartets, the synergy between the two has had me almost totally uninterested in other gear. Almost. Then I read...
  24. drasp

Sansui 771 - a sin to use the loudness button or an essential part of the experience?

Love the loudness curve on my AU-9500, use it anytime I feel like it! Totally dependent on the source material, listening level & situation!!! Gets quite a bit more use than the EQs, which are almost always bypassed on my amp. . . just another tool to get the music sounding right for your ears!!!
  25. drasp

^ Awesome!!! :banana:
Back
Top Bottom