Search results

1. jeb98

Are Broadcast Idler Turntables "Audiophile" Quality?

I think they can be audiophile. It depends on which model. Another thing that is really important to consider is how much use they received in their past. I have had nice looking broadcast idlers from old radio stations that were not so obviously used heavily in their day, and I think this made...
  2. jeb98

Simplex IPC AM-1027 theater mono blocks - UPDATE - more questions

Long time since I posted about these. I got them “restored” but they’re blowing fuses. After a few seconds one of the tubes starts to red plate. I have my very capable friend looking at them. Luckily he says the output transformers are good. He’s getting -250 volts bias on start up, then it...
  3. jeb98

Hi George, I sent you a text message and a PM on this forum. Talk to you soon hopefully. Sorry I...

Hi George, I sent you a text message and a PM on this forum. Talk to you soon hopefully. Sorry I just saw this profile post.
  4. jeb98

UTC Transformer and Iron Catalog - Very Interesting

Here’s a photo of the writing on the power Transformer. Best, Jonas
  5. jeb98

Kind of interesting dual mono. No idea what circuit it is, no schematic. Seems to use 5881 in push pull, 7199 driver tube, and 5R4 rectifiers.
  6. jeb98

I got a random power amp off of eBay that has LS-55. I’d like to hear more about what would help with these transformers.
  7. jeb98

Adding extra RCA outputs to tube preamp?

Is there a simple way to mess is there a simple way to measure output impedance? I have a DMM
  8. jeb98

Adding extra RCA outputs to tube preamp?

I recently purchased a DIY 12B4a tube preamp. It has one set of RCA outputs but I’d like to add a second of outputs so I could add a powered sub woofer easily to my setup. Is this possible? This preamp has custom Dave Slagle (Intact Audio) transformers for transformer coupling as well as...
  9. jeb98

MC30's on Portland OR CL for $3250.. and MC225 ramblings

I know many people rave about the MC225, but I was really unimpressed. I even replaced the coupling capacitors with high end paper in oil and I wasn't impressed. Tried swapping tubes, NOS tubes all sorts.
  10. jeb98

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Not sure if these are all super rare but as some may have been made in large numbers but you don’t see them too often: Acoustic Research AR1 (with Altec 755a) Western Electric 754A Western Electric 728B Western Electric 755a RCA LC-1 and LC-1B Altec 604C and 604E (not that rare) I had some...
  11. jeb98

JBL Studio 590 lacking bass

I tried out some 590's and they had too much bass for my room, the bass was kind of wooly and woofy. It helped bringing them out from the walls in my case but my room wasn't big enough. They were nice sounding speakers though otherwise. The room really does effect the sound a lot, obviously.
  12. jeb98

Shure VN78E Stylus

I'll buy it for $80! I love listening to 78's and I heard this is a great cartridge for them. Best, Jonas
  13. jeb98

Mono - can we talk mono?

Super cool Newcomb! Is it actually a stereo unit? Does it have two output transformers? My Califone is not stereo but you can also attach two speakers to it, that might explain why the stereo cartridge didn't sound it's best? But the GE VRII has many fans too. I had one Califone unit which had...
  14. jeb98

Mono - can we talk mono?

Super cool. I like obscure speakers too. Do you ever mount these in cabinets? More fun to be had there too. Best, Jonas
  15. jeb98

Mono - can we talk mono?

I have to say, I prefer listening to mono on two speakers instead of one usually. I found a single home built Klipschorn from 1950, it was loaded with nice Stephens Trusonic gear and I didn’t get too into it as a mono setup. Your ears have to adjust to listening to one speaker after growing...
  16. jeb98

Pics of my slit

Interesting design. Some sort of loading for the woofers I suppose. I like Onkyo gear, never heard the speakers though.
  17. jeb98

Your favorite tube phono stage?

I owned and liked the Sun Valley SV-EQ1616D. Had a lot of tube rolling options and I thought elevated the sound of my phono setup. Also had EQ settings you could change for early mono recordings that weren't RIAA. It was an improvement over my EAR 834 clone or my RCA Tube manual RIAA phono preamp.
  18. jeb98

What can you tell me about these western electric drivers?

Very cool! I'd love to try out field coil drivers but I'm more about certain simplicity in my complicated audio pursuits. I like tube gear and I would want to have to worry about warming up the field coil power supplies or even having even more tube gear humming along with the complications...
  19. jeb98

Large collection of Classical

Also unlike jazz records , the stereo classical records seem to be more sought after, which makes sense as you'd want a wider stereo image. There are some valuable classical records for sure, but they have to be certain types of things and certain pressings. Many of the more valuable ones are...
  20. jeb98

Ojas Speakers NYT Aticle

I went to the exhibit, and it was awesome. Devon is a real audiophile audio nerd, and I mean that as high praise. The speakers sounded amazing, the aesthetic of the room were very cool, he spun good records, put on some Blue Note master tapes and an assortment of interesting sounding records...
  21. jeb98

H.H Scott Type 290 Amplifier With Matching Type 122 Preamplifier What Are They Worth?

Wow those things are time capsules. The tubes alone are likely worth over $1000 on ebay. These would definitely command a premium for being in such pristine and original condition. For me, I'd give them a listen and then sell them off to someone who is a collector. I want stuff that's a...
  22. jeb98

Idler stuff

These turntables are often quite worn in from broadcast use. These look like QRK or Russco turntables. A nice deal for someone who wants a project or to flip on ebay, but nothing incredible. But also worth $250 to the right person I'd say. Edit: It does look like there are quite a few parts...
  23. jeb98

JBL c34 should I?

I think those early JBL 130 and 175 parts are worth more to a collector if you do plan to sell them they'd likely sell well on that auction sight. Sad to part them out of course, but just worth a mention.
  24. jeb98

What is a good price for a Technics SL-1200 mk2 these days?

The tonearm bearings can get messed up fairly easily, at least it happens on the ones that were gigged with by DJ's. Here is a simple way to check that:
  25. jeb98

Altec 603B, pair, MN, $1,100

You don't see pairs of these that often. I found one in an early mono Fisher console cabinet.
Back
Top Bottom