Search results

1. hnash53

There is no "The Dark Side of the Moon," really... as a matter of fact it's "Dark Side of the Moon"

I no longer have my LP of Dark Side of the Moon, nor can I find a picture of the edge binding of the album cover. Doing an online search, I see both Dark Side of the Moon and The Dark Side of the Moon given as the album title. I think it's officially "Dark Side of the Moon",...really. What is...
  2. hnash53

Passive sub woofer ok to connect to "B" speakers on Sansui 7900Z?

My Sansui 7900Z has both A and B speaker outputs. Specs are 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I'm thinking of adding a small passive sub that Parts Express sells as a kit seen here: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-6-1-2-Down-Firing-Passive-Mini-Subwoofer-Kit-300-7160?quantity=1 and...
  3. hnash53

Klipsch R-51M speakers scratchy

I was given these Klipsch R-51M speakers. Cosmetically mint condition. But both of them are very, very scratchy sounding... which the fellow said when he gave them to me. I'm sure it's the speakers and not the integrated amp I'm testing them with. I've pulled out the woofer, tweeter, speaker...
  4. hnash53

US vinyl sales up... streaming even more up...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/12/vinyl-sales-us-report
  5. hnash53

How to share one subwoofer with two receivers?

I have an Integra AV receiver and a Sansui 7900Z vintage receiver. The subwoofer is currently connected to the SUB OUT on the AV receiver and is using the internal crossover. The sub has high level/speaker inputs that I could connect to the Sansui B speaker outputs. But wouldn't I have to...
  6. hnash53

Parts for Sansui 7900Z... any place other than 'Bay?

I recently got a Sansui 7900Z in very nice condition. However, the source switch block (AUX, FM, AM, PHONO1, PHONO2) is messed up. The "pistons" do not slide in easily, and once in, do not release/pop out easily when another source button is pushed in. I've done the deoxit thing, et.al. with...
  7. hnash53

Sansui 7900Z... if it works, don't fix it

I scored this Sansui 7900Z a few weeks ago. When I first connected it up to test, everything worked. Source switching worked great. Sound was great... it all worked. Lights and all. Today, I initiated a routine electronic contact cleaning. When I got to the source buttons and began working...
  8. hnash53

Listening somewhere else...

My main listening position is in my recliner approximating the typical equilateral triangle arrangement with the front speakers. However, sometimes I move off center to a small couch. I've found that it's a different aural experience... and it's fun to do, and sounds good. Sort of like the...
  9. hnash53

Are there any other concert DVDs as good as Pink Floyd's Pulse?

Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD is amazing. Are there any other concert DVDs that are as good as Pulse? Thanks for any suggestions.
  10. hnash53

Anybody listen to...

Urban Phunk Society?
  11. hnash53

Do you ever sit in a spot other than your main listening position?

I should do it more often... in my case, it definitely provides an alternative listening experience that I find engaging. Neither good nor bad... just different in a good way.
  12. hnash53

Counterfeit vinyl records

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/05/man-who-made-12m-from-fake-vinyl-records-caught-out-by-clash-fan
  13. hnash53

Need help to ID woofer and tweeter in DIY find

Found this DIY pair of speakers today and pulled out the woofer and soft dome tweeter. The tweeter has a hefty magnet but no markings or numbers. Any ideas on the tweeter? The 8 inch woofer in this cabinet has the number 111791-K stamped on the magnet. A search using that number comes up with...
  14. hnash53

Vintage Videoton Saphir 1 speakers refoamed, cabinets refurbed

These speakers were made in Hungary... perhaps in the 1979 Huge magnets on the woofers. Each speaker weighs 16.5 lbs... pretty hefty for its size... 15.6 high x 10 wide x 8.7 deep. I acquired these from a fellow audio enthusiast. The surrounds had mostly dissolved. I cleaned them up and refoamed...
  15. hnash53

Speaker foam surrounds mounting on rear of the cone

I've never mounted speaker foam surrounds to the rear of the speaker cone. I've successfully mounted foam surrounds on the front of the cone. Does anyone have experience mounting the surrounds on the rear of the cone?
  16. hnash53

How to combine stereo into my AV system?

Currently, I have a 3.1 home theater system using an Integra home theater receiver... front R & L speakers plus a center channel speaker and powered sub. The Integra has pre-outs/zone 2 capabiltiy. The receiver allows me to select "stereo" when listening to music. It sounds pretty good. But...
  17. hnash53

Wharfedale Denton W20D MK1 vs MK2

I'm looking at some Wharfedale Denton W20 vintage speakers (not the modern Denton 85s). I see that there were two makes... MK1 and MK2. Are they comparable in performance? Is one better than the other? Sometimes I see just the W20D name without the "Denton" part? Does the "D" designation...
  18. hnash53

Chromecast audio to Bluetooth audio?

Bluetooth audio quality has improved in recent years. Is it equal to or better than the Chromecast audio's audio quality? I stream Spotify (320 kbps max) and Pandora (192 kbps max). I won't be streaming hi-res audio.
  19. hnash53

How to turn a Stereo/2-channel receiver into a 3.0 system?

I know that a 2.0 stereo creates a "phantom" center channel. But is there a way to actually wire in a physical center channel speaker on a stereo receiver? I have an opportunity to score an Onkyo TX-8270 Network 2-channel receiver but would sure like to retain a center channel for movies. I...
  20. hnash53

So... where does the bass signal go when I turn off/unplug my subwoofer...

I have a 5.1 setup for movies/tv. But when I listen to music, I switch my home theater receiver to stereo. When I go from 5.1 to 2.0, where does the bass signal go? Am I correct that the bass signal is sent to my front L & R ?
  21. hnash53

Suggestions for small floor standing speakers

I'm considering trying out some floor standing speakers. Less than 36 inches high... And less than $500/pair. New or vintage. Thanks.
  22. hnash53

-3dB and other speaker tech specs...

...where to find easy-to-understand explanations of these technical specs and why they are important. Is too much to ask for? Thanks.
  23. hnash53

Mono amp for a single speaker?

I'm looking for a mono amp to power a single speaker (not a subwoofer). Most of the mono amps I've seen are for powering a subwoofer. Will one of these sub amps work to power a regular speaker? Would a headphone amp power a single speaker? If the answer is no, what budget recommendations do...
  24. hnash53

Bluetooth speaker with a remote control?

I've just refinished this art deco radio cabinet (1939) and want to put a bluetooth speaker in it, but I need one with a remote control to power it on/off. Looking online, I don't see small bluetooth speakers with remote controls. I see bluetooth sound bars with remotes but they are (obviously)...
  25. hnash53

Zenith Chairside Tube radio

I picked up this Zenith tube radio at a garage sale. Model 6S340. Year: 1939. Nice cabinet and grill. From the pics you can see that the dial is rusted and the front glass and most of the knobs are missing. Inside is a tube amp that powers up but all it does is hum... maybe because it...
Back
Top Bottom