Search results

1. Fitero

Does anyone remember a speaker . . .

Magnepan MG1.5 QR
  2. Fitero

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

I got the most goosebumps while listening to my JBL 4367s, followed by the Hartley Concertmaster VI and lastly by the JBL M2s. None of them were perfect, but I feel very fortunate to have owned them. I have since retired and have sold everything but a modest integrated streaming amplifier, an...
  3. Fitero

Are the new JBL L100 really that good/worth $4k?

I bought a pair (without listening to them first) last year and compared them with a pair of L112 that I had at the time. Both my wife and I thought the L100s were broken. :rflmao:They weren't. I couldn't get rid of them quickly enough. We both preferred the L112.
  4. Fitero

Empire 698 replacement tonearm

I'd start asking questions here; https://www.vinylengine.com/
  5. Fitero

Small two tube preamp/buffer?

Yes, it can be used as a single source preamp.
  6. Fitero

Cornwall III - buy or not?

"a pair of 1982 CWs for $100" Wow! Great purchase!
  7. Fitero

Who introduced you to (Quality) Hifi?

In the 60s a child I'd ask my mom to play "the hifi" (Classical and Opera was what they played) when I would go to bed at night. The "hifi" was a console. However, the hook was set one Christmas while visiting family in Montreal in the late 70s. George Curcin played U2 for me on his new stereo...
  8. Fitero

Isolating my turntables. Ideas for something inexpensive??

I suggested a customer buy a 2" thick slab of marble or stone a bit larger than the turntable plinth, and place a semi-inflated inner tube beneath it. He chose a tube whose diameter was slightly smaller than the size of the stone, so as to support it evenly and not appear unsightly. It solved...
  9. Fitero

ELAC Miracord TT -share all about 'em

Thanks! I'll clean and re-lube the whole thing, just as I did on the last one. I'll re-wire the tonearm and cartridge sled as well. The tonearm wire insulation on this one has become more rigid which can affect tracking, or so I'm told. I brought all the lubricants and foam rubber that I...
  10. Fitero

Last year we retired and I sold my 50H as we were going to an area with 230V, and I reasoned that it would be cheaper to buy another complete turntable in Germany and have it shipped here than it would be to just change the motor. The other day I was browsing Wallapop and saw an ad for a 50H...
  11. Fitero

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

I have a soft spot for large speakers. These Hartley Concertmaster VIs were the only ones that I've ever seen or owned. I sold them to a guy in one of the Western provinces of China. Packing them up was a chore.
  12. Fitero

JBL 4315 - compare against my L112

And compared to the L112 what do you think?
  13. Fitero

Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

A buddy of mine had them years ago and I do remember liking them a lot. If I'm honest with myself, I really should be buying a small 2 way. I love big speakers though and it's a tough habit to kick.
  14. Fitero

Parasound New Classic 2125 v.2 $599 for good ole Class A/B high current power.

I'm using a Parasound 2125V2 with a pair of JBL L112. This is a very nice amplifier. I connected it just to have some music while my "expensive" amp was out on loan. I was very surprised. Not too warm, not too cold, just right. No noise or fuss. This one's a keeper.
  15. Fitero

The M2s have seemingly unlimited output and an exciting "live music" presentation and tonality to my ears. The Salon2 don't have that presentation and impact, but do have an enticing "ethereal" sound stage. The music that I listen to most often (Progressive Rock) sounds more enticing to me on...
  16. Fitero

Some of my Crowns are still with me

I can vividly remember wandering through the electronics section on base in the early 80's and checking out a SL2 which I could never have bought. There were a couple of "old" guys talking about their Crown gear. That conversation set in my mind the desireability of Crown gear. Now I need a...
  17. Fitero

Snell QBx 25 - $300

Well? Did you get them?
  18. Fitero

I bought my first "adult" pair of speakers from a shop in Denver in 1980. In chronological order; DCM QED Klipsch La Scala Fried C3L (DIY Kit) Speaker Builder magazine, Swan speaker DIY kit Magnepan MG 1.6/QR Rogers JR149 KEF Q65 Linkwitz Pluto DIY Hartley Concertmaster VI Fulton FMI-80...
  19. Fitero

Price check on Thorens TD124

So, in other words, get off the computer and go get it. Quickly.
  20. Fitero

I liked the "Flash Gordon" look of the Empire more and the silly fact that it could play at all angles if needed, but the Elac seems to have more bass impact and is certainly more quiet. Pushing the button and forgetting about it is also nice.
  21. Fitero

A few months ago I bought a 50H for $50 from a Craigslist ad. The previous owner had made a plinth out of 1/8" plywood and Hot-glue. The cartridge sled nuts were snapped which seems to be a common failure. It was a bit of a wreck. I was able to glue together the nut plate sled with epoxy. I...
  22. Fitero

Craigslist: Portland, OR

Great deal on the B&W speakers! I wish I needed another pair of speakers, as I've wanted to try a pair of these JBL L7's for years; https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/ele/d/underwood-jbl-l7-speakers/7187084804.html $600 asking price. No affiliation etc.
  23. Fitero

Elac 10....Can a conical stylus tracking at 4 grams have trouble staying in the lead-in groove?

Just to clarify a little; the Elac 50H does indeed have anti-skate.
  24. Fitero

Canada's Relationship With England

I'm from Montréal originally....and as such only need remind you of two things; Tourtiére and Poutine. All else are trivial matters not worth getting worked up over. :beerchug: Christmas eve and American Thanksgivings always feature Tourtiére in my house and Poutine is made several times...
Back
Top Bottom