Search results

1. vinyl fiend

The truth about subwoofers

I agree, there is a significant amount of information in that range. Therein lies the problem. It isn't just one instrument thundering away, hence many low frequencies are competing for the same space. I really think it comes down to the type of music and the mix, which is why I like the...
  2. vinyl fiend

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

"Spanish Grease" by Willie Bobo on Verve. Fun record with nice plate reverb ala mid-60's du jour.
  3. vinyl fiend

Surely there must be a direct correlation between the size of the woofer and the amount of bass produced. A cabinet can add "perceived bass" for sure, from a localized source. A smaller driver has more excursion, which can be translated to distortion. The "punch" in bass, depending on the...
  4. vinyl fiend

I've had good results with sub woofer amps with the adjustable crossover knob. Some recordings sound better at 100 cycles, some at 150, and conversely, some at 50 c/s. 120 to 150 cycles will bring out more bass guitar information. I ripped out the plate amp from a Yamaha sub, and hooked an...
  5. vinyl fiend

University Speaker Find

Do they happen to be Bogen DB20s? Regardless, that was a bitchin' system in its day. I recently acquired similiar Universitys, however the cones are slightly torn and brittle.
  6. vinyl fiend

Tonearm for Gates CB1200

Those large, broadcast decks are awesome. Built like tanks. Gates, CMT, Russco. I digress.
  7. vinyl fiend

yamaha yp-d71 balance issues?

The YPD71 is a semiautomatic table with an automatic cue lift, so you have balance the arm with the table running (cue lift retracted). The manual also explains how to do it, but here goes: 1) with a small jewelers screwdriver, carefully lift the anti-skate weight off of the pulley and place...
  8. vinyl fiend

No more McIntosh LED kits

Generally speaking, the advantage of LEDs is you get the same light output at 1/5th the wattage. I would guess that the amp draws the same amount of power from the wall, but internally there is less power consumption from the lights. (*electrical philistine speaking here). LEDs do not produce...
  9. vinyl fiend

Hooking up tweeters for upper treble extension

I am focusing on the upper sizzle range. 6k and up ballpark. maybe higher. The new Tekton have a circle of tweets smack in the middle of the cabinet. pretty interesting.
  10. vinyl fiend

Thanks for the input Toxcrusadr! So the inductor on the tweeter shunts even more frequencies that may have passed through the cap? Just to reiterate, the inductor is wired between the + and - terminals on the tweet. I just thought it would be a fun experiment to hook them all up. I...
  11. vinyl fiend

KLH speakers reference thread (original models/Henry Kloss era) 1957-1977

I have a pair of unfinished birch ply model sixes: serial # 30389 which is only 71 units younger than SteveO137's. Definitely constructed the same week. Not sure how many of those puppies KLH was completing in one day. It's mate is serial # 27816. Everything is sealed up, though I am...
  12. vinyl fiend

I thought inductors were strictly for a low pass function, which is why I was perplexed to see them on little dome tweeters.
  13. vinyl fiend

Friends, I have qty 10 old Philips ad160 T8 tweeters that I would like to put into an array. 5 left and 5 right. They either came factory or was added good sized inductors between the poles on each tweeter, along with a 3uf 50v cap on what I assume is the positive lead. Can someone...
  14. vinyl fiend

Looking for a sub woofer

A sub should fill up the room with whatever prominent bass frequencies are present in the mix. Maybe "mud" is a harsh term, It depends on what you are listening to, but not every recording is going to sound crystal clear and punchy in the 80hz range. Frequencies below 125hz are wooly and...
  15. vinyl fiend

Bi-amping regular speakers

I think it is resistors that cut the power to the highs. You may also need an air core inductor to balance the load? My two cents.
  16. vinyl fiend

Looking for a sub woofer

subs are inherently muddy.
  17. vinyl fiend

Help on C28 Subwoofer Set Up

Does the sub work with a different system? Some subs have manual crossover adjustment as well, which is kinda nice. If the crossover point is super low, It may sound quieter, especially if it is a small woofer/enclosure. Unhook the top speakers and just listen to what is coming out of the...
  18. vinyl fiend

Mystery speakers at a glance Goodwill..

Something is only as valuable as what someone will pay for it. Value and money are artificial constructs of modern day society.
  19. vinyl fiend

Scroe- I never get lucky but this time.

They are used as the quintessential near-field monitor because they represent many small speaker configs. a good mix out of them represents a good mix in the car, boombox, headphones etc.
  20. vinyl fiend

Scroe?

Dude you scroed nicely. Should be gettin' that bright and crispy west coast JBL sound.
  21. vinyl fiend

cleaning old delicate light brown grills

I just re-grilled an old Maggy stand alone cabinet that I stripped of the dark "finish". All solid and veneered Honduran mahogany was hidden under the dark stain. The grill cloth was from a 60/70s era Hartley cab. Remove all the staples, put the cloth through a wash with Borax and/or oxy and...
  22. vinyl fiend

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Depending on the source, some old recordings have a sub 30hz rumble. The engineers didn't have the equipment to notice it. Could be electrical feedback in the signal. It comes out as a low end noise. Bob Marley's "My Cup" off of the Trojan release is an example. The moral of the story is...
  23. vinyl fiend

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Are these in a bi-amp configuration?
  24. vinyl fiend

Bogen db 20 speaker terminal - GND and COM

I have a pair of these that need fixin'
  25. vinyl fiend

Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

Most likely the crossover point in the upper mid-bass, or the response of the woofer itself. I'm guessing 7khz is good point between the woofer and the little tweeter.
Back
Top Bottom