Search results

1. daveo50

BIC 980 Turntable - Headshell question

Thanks for your replies. I've attached a picture showing what it is I'm dealing with. The actual width of the mounting hole spacing is not the issue. It's the inside width of the either the BIC headshell or the outside total width of the Rega cartridge. It's about .060 too wide to physically...
  2. daveo50

BIC 980 Turntable - Headshell question

Hi Everyone: I've owned this turntable since 1976 and have been surprised at how well it still plays. I had to go through it about 6 years ago or so and now have it connected to my Fisher 400 which I restored about that time ago. I've been using a Shure M44E in the headshell, the higher...
  3. daveo50

Marantz 4240 faulty channel

Take a look at your amplifier assemblies. They are the ones attached to the output transistor heatsinks. I had a problem with my 4230 that had a light scratching sound on power up then went away. I had the unit apart to fix another issue and I noticed that I had a small hum in the left front...
  4. daveo50

Technics SA-300 Receiver cabinet removal?

Thanks for the quick replies. I've worked the tabs on the bottom which are not seized, even applied a little oil with a hypodermic needle. Cabinet is still very tight and it may very well be the tabs in the cabinet top as you mentioned which I'm struggling to get to. Any prying around here...
  5. daveo50

Technics SA-300 Receiver cabinet removal?

I just got one of these for a friend. Needs a small amount of repair which requires the cabinet to be removed. I have a service manual which instructs to remove the usual 4 screws which holds these types of cabinets on. However, this one does not have the 4 screws (2 on each side). I've...
  6. daveo50

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Still spinning the vinyl and the Fisher is still heating the room. I've got a weakness for the DooWop music. Title is Remember Me Baby.... flash wiped out part of the title.
  7. daveo50

Tonight it's a little Etta James. She is pretty timeless. Here are a couple of pieces I use to listen to my albums. The Fisher 400 I restored about a year ago. My BIC 980 which I bought new in 1975 had spent most of it's life in my closet. I was thinking of getting rid of it. Went through...
  8. daveo50

A Black and White Night Live by Roy Orbison and Friends. Some of the friends playing and singing along with Roy Orbison are Jackson Browne, T Bone Burnett, Elvis Costello, k.d. lang, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Waits. I've listened to a lot of Roy Orbison and I think this is one of...
  9. daveo50

How many of you built Heathkits?

I also built a number of Heathkits. I believe most of my kit building was in the early to mid 70s. I built at least 2 of their color televisions. I drove to Benton Harbor to get the cabinet for the 25" set I built for myself. We watched that set for probably 20 years. I remember the...
  10. daveo50

Opinions on Bose 10.2 II? Haters be damned.

I bought a pair of these back in the early or mid 80s, can't seem to remember the exact date. I've been pretty happy with them. Depending on the moment, I drive them with a Marantz 4230 or a Fisher 400. They sound great with either receiver. From some of the reviews I've read, the 10.2...
  11. daveo50

LEDs or incandescent lamps, which do you use in your vintage gear?

I used the warm white LED fuse lamps in my Marantz 4230. I made replacement LED lamps (since none were available) for the indicators. Some were burned out and I really didn't want to do the job again. Initially I tried the blue LEDs for the dial, didn't really like the look and I went to warm...
  12. daveo50

What TT's do you folks have

I'm impressed! Nice rig!
  13. daveo50

Vinyl only spin list

I like your style. Picked up 11 lps today at an estate sale. All look like minimal play.
  14. daveo50

Vinyl only spin list

I like your style!!
  15. daveo50

400 heater question (I think) and other Q's

I just finished restoring my 400, it plays very nice. One thing that will improve FM reception is to replace the 12AX7 tube on the Multiplex (MPX) unit with a 12AT7. It is the tube closest to the blue potentiometer (adjustment) which is closest to the rear of the chassis. My FM works...
  16. daveo50

Fisher 400 Restoration

Thanks Larry, running Dave's test shows the capacitor cooler than the components around it. Running the 400 under normal operating conditions the can capacitor (C52 - four section) is running just a little warmer than the power transformer (~10 degrees) and the output transformers. I detect no...
  17. daveo50

Fisher 400 Restoration

I ran the test as Dave described. After a little more than 3 hours, the power transformer measured about 85 degrees, the four section can (C52) measured about 78 degrees and the three section can (C57) measured about 70 degrees. Chassis temperature measured around 62 degrees. The little over...
  18. daveo50

Fisher 400 Restoration

Thanks Dave for your reply. I've restored a number of old radios in the past. Other than a couple of repairs to my Marantz over the last 35 years or so I haven't done much with audio equipment. But the style of build is very similar with the point to point wiring. I was curious about the...
  19. daveo50

Fisher 400 Restoration

Hi All: I've been reading this forum off and on for awhile now. I've owned a Fisher 400 that I bought from an original owners estate about 10 years ago. It's been in storage ever since. I was fortunate that all of the original Fisher tubes have tested good. I think this 400 must have had...
  20. daveo50

Are any bluetooth speaker systems any good?

I would recommend the Bose SoundLink Mini. It's $199 but by far the best small speaker I've heard. I first saw one when my daughter brought it over and was stunned by the sound. A couple of days later I bought one for myself, works great as a portable sound system and I play music streamed...
Back
Top Bottom