Search results

1. whell

Do you let your animal (dog or cat) range free outside for most of the day?

We have a dog with a fenced in yard, and she's free to roam the house. Outside the yard she's on a leash and is not more than 6 feet away from us. We try to be good neighbors. One of our neighbors on the other hand, lets their roam the neighborhood. The dog uses ours and the neighbor's...
  2. whell

Tidal is cutting their price for HD streaming

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-drops-hifi-hifi-plus-plans-match-amazon-music-apple-music/ From the article: Tidal has announced that it’s simplifying its subscription tiers by putting its lossless, hi-res, and spatial audio content into a single, ad-free $11 per month...
  3. whell

PC as source component

I don't think the debate is really about PC versus dedicated streamer. Great results can be achieved with both. I think the dividing line in this argument is more like a graph with an X and Y axis. An individuals location on the graph is determined by their location on the X axis - let's...
  4. whell

Internet Radio Stations

https://stlouisclassicrock.com/ - great collection of internet stations. Especially this one: https://theroots.fm/ It is what I remember the heyday of FM radio used to sound like, where the playlists were more wide-open.
  5. whell

First AK Fest was 20 years ago, Feb 21, 2004

We're looking older, but sadly not looking any better! :p 20 years later, here's what's become of the old Michigan Inn where the first Fest was held. This site, that grew out of that first meet, has fared much better.
  6. whell

Ditched Amazon Music

You're correct on all counts. To clarify, I've been an Amazon PAID music subscriber for almost 2 years now.
  7. whell

Ditched Amazon Music

I'm an Amazon subscriber. I've tried other services as well. Functionally, I've never had a problem with any of them. Sonically, they're OK. Pretty consistently I've noticed that songs played from my local network attached drive sound better to my ear than the same songs played via a...
  8. whell

Internet Radio Stations

FYI - for those of you who'd rather have the streaming link to add to your internet radio list, here you go: https://ice6.securenetsystems.net/ROOTS2 Sometimes you can inspect the HTML of the web page and find the link.
  9. whell

Internet Radio Stations

Remember how radio rock radio used to be in the '70s? These guys nail it. Commercial free, listener supported: https://theroots.fm/
  10. whell

Merrylander is fine and doing well!

Rob - you are missed. Still remember drooling at your Yamaha receiver restorations!
  11. whell

Happy Birthday whell!

Thanks everyone!!!
  12. whell

Is DVD-Audio dead?

Foobar 2000 will covert DVD-A content as well with the DVD-A component installed.
  13. whell

Grumpy updates - last 08-19- 23

Hang in there David!! Prayers for all of you!
  14. whell

I lost my HiFi virginity at a young age. How old were you?

Wasn't that location on Plymouth Rd in Livonia the old Schaak Electronics store? When Schaak went out of business, it became a Scandinavian furniture store. The building has been abandoned for years, sadly. https://goo.gl/maps/ezywg58KMJSq7cvLA
  15. whell

WiiM WiFi Streamer

That's correct.
  16. whell

WiiM WiFi Streamer

Running Daphile (based on Logitech Media Server), the Wiim Mini appears as an optional access point I can stream any content I wish.
  17. whell

How can I get this old thing to stream???

What about popping something like this into the cassette well...
  18. whell

WiiM WiFi Streamer

I'm with you on this. Things will likely improve for me when Wiim pushes out the update that allows devices to open the app in landscape mode. Currently, that's not supported on Android devices. Also, unless I'm streaming content from Amazon, I tend to use the Wiim Mini more an an endpoint...
  19. whell

MQA files for bankruptcy

Its certainly not "naysaying" to observe the following: 1) I like the sound quality rendered by my current system. I see no need to spend additional money on a new DAC with an MQA decoder when none of my current music files are MQA encoded, and when the commercially available music encoded in...
  20. whell

CD vs Streaming in 2023. My spidey senses kicked in again this morning

Musicians don't always have control over the finished product when a recording is released. The producer sets the tone for the studio session(s), and has much influence over what the end product sounds like. Most of the time the producer is in synch with the musicians, but not always, So, if...
  21. whell

Music server for Tidal

It's just a guess, but likely streaming without the MacBook is the difference, particularly if you were using the web browser to select and stream music.
  22. whell

WiiM WiFi Streamer

I don’t think the Roon crowd is in Wiim’s target market anyway, Someone who pays between $13 - $15 a month for a music organizer/player seems unlikely to want a Wiim.
  23. whell

Anyone else using pro audio gear as their hifi DAC?

I've been using a Zodiac Antelope DAC for years. Still works great. Probably more of a "pro-sumer" DAC when it was introduced.
  24. whell

When did DACs become "A Thing"?

Good luck with that! ;) Seriously, you asked the million-dollar question: do DACs sound different, and if so, why? While some would insist that the answer to the first part of that question is "no, they should all sound the same", the fact is that they all don't sound the same. The first part...
  25. whell

Is there any use for this PC?

Music Player Daemon - mpd - doesn't take much processing muscle to run. I run it on an older Intel dual core laptop, and it sounds great. Like Daphile, you can install it on your laptop, and use another pc/laptop/tablet/smartphone to control playback.
Back
Top Bottom