Search results

1. A

Do you lose fidelity when an amp is hot?

One factor not yet mentioned here is that amplifiers (largely all!), have negative feedback which generally 'equalises' matters. Still general, main amplifiers would have to be rather - er - compromisedly designed if an audible difference is apparent, even at the ends of its design 'spread'. In...
  2. A

stereotype of tubes "Highs rolled off and low bass response"

As a principle I think it is nonsense, in audio. Thus amplifiers ranging from 0 Hz - 500 KHz should not sound an iota different from anyone else covering the audio spectrum E.g. regarding the ubiquitous damping factor, from any correct analysis of the phenomenon, the present formula for...
  3. A

If the horror that is a thunderstorm and an open window happens

4ev13wt, Commiserations, good Sir! Living in a part of RSA which seems to have the 3rd - 4th highest rate of thunderstorms on this planet, your experience is sympathised with! As for drying carpets and similar stuff, I have a vacuum cleaner which can suck up water, plus a heat gun which can...
  4. A

Need advice -shielding internal signal wire

Crang, A schematic would have been handy; without it I seem to recognise a few 'power' leads doing a large arc over the show. Unless there is a reason for it (e.g. having to lift some boards for testing) having loops of leads all over the territory is a dangerous idea. For myself, I try to go...
  5. A

Tube Rolling And How To Bankrupt A Pig

I noticed many of the tubes mentioned are old stock. When coming to newer tubes . . . do you realise that there can easily be some +/- 20% difference in characteristics with same number/manufacturer? That makes it pretty senseless to boast that "brand XPY is the best"! (These figures have...
  6. A

Who the YOUNGEST/Oldest AK member, ever?

- plus a few months . . . .
  7. A

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao: Well, had to do something to prove my years! But would you believe it this time - I posted the second effort because the initial post did not show up on my screen until later! Could not understand whether it was a glitch in our...
  8. A

Och!! Topped already! (Did not notice post #12 before I sent mine.)
  9. A

Reminds me of the witness in court, stating her age as 26 years plus a few months. The experienced Honour looked down at her, and leaning over confidentially, asked quietly: "and how many months would that be, Madam?" "Er .... 168, Your Honour . . . ." At DS Wankey: Seeing your point - perhaps...
  10. A

Something like when the witness told the Judge she is 26 years and a few months old. Looking down at her with a smile of understanding, His Honour asked softly: "'Er - Madam - how many months would that be?" "Ahem ...168, Your Honour ....." With respect to member DS Wankey: Seeing your...
  11. A

Power supply cap options

Just for the record, I have been designing/building amplifiers for the past 60 years odd, and I have never noticed an audible difference myself. (I am old now, but wasn't always!) I did experience some makes with a rather wide spread in values. It will also depend on what is available in which...
  12. A

12AX7 variant as quiet as 12AD7?

Relevant perhaps is that with many modern tubes, even some 'specials', I found an almost unacceptable spread in characteristics; occasionally up to 40%! While not directly related to hum, I would not be surprized to find a variation in hum between same numbered tubes, even same brand. I have...
  13. A

Preamp to Main amp impedance matching...what's your ratio?

@ Denton: Tracey, :beerchug: Johan (Audiovet)
  14. A

Anyone else paranoid about the bias of their tube amps?

(Just for the record, I probably qualify for pre-historic, having 'cut my teeth' on the technically complex crystal set plus directly heated valves like 1R5, 1T4, 1S5, 3V4 - anybody remember them?) But to stop boasting, enough tube stuff came my way/designed to reiterate: There is something...
  15. A

68 years in audio

68 years in audio
  16. A

Oh dear ..... and no - we don't! Perhaps (or perhaps I should say 'definitely') this can be ended by referring all these knowledgeable gentlemen to 'pre-amplifier' ('Wikipedia') or any other recognized textbook/publication on audio amplification. We can all coin our own definitions, and I...
  17. A

Which is safer, clipping vs overdriving a loudspeaker

It would appear that there is a general belief that tweeters are damaged/overloaded by the (sudden?) extra energy poured into them by an avalanche of harmonics as a result of clipping. It has been shown that that is not the case. As I recall analyses by Rod Elliot (Westhost) and others show...
  18. A

Denten, I understand what you are saying - I think -grammatically . . . . But friend, these terms have been in vogue for ever since the Williamson amplifier emerged about 1946 and well before, and have since been accepted over many decades dealing with high-fidelity equipment and its...
  19. A

This can touch on the saying "How long is a piece of string." Yes, the higher the fed impedance the better, but what will be sufficient is very much a matter of what the pre-amp can 'drive' before some of its characteristics suffer audibly. This should actually be part of any proper pre-amp...
  20. A

Can someone please explain to me how this is supposed to work?

With some amazement I also am not sure why this whole argument regarding gain. Sure, if one is in a physics class, the correct definition needs to be observed. But in electronics, and then particularly with pre-amps, I am quite sure that anyone with the merest knowledge will realise that...
  21. A

People on this forum are nice

Don Philipe Go away - go f-a--a-a-r away!! :) :) :) :) :) As a foreigner, I have tried to behave. But I am disadvantaged by being an EE, and it takes a lot of courage to stay quiet if I am told the equivalent of not being able to bend a say railway rail by hands because science says so, is...
  22. A

Mullard 5-20 High Frequency oscillation

Coylum, Firstly, the Mullard 5-20 is stable as per the schematic. Yes, your OPT may not have the necessary h.f. response/leakage reactance, and I cannot now recall what the original 520 transformer figured at. Saying that, and with due respect to other worthy members, one can always 'cure' NFB...
  23. A

what type of capacitor should I use.

Er :eek: (cautiously asking, if I may ...) is it safe to come out now ? ? ? Jeepers! :yikes: What sudden confrontationalism .... (breathing in and out a few times ) And here I had the impression that Audiokarma was a relatively calm respectful forum ..... but then to reality...
  24. A

Using different Wires , Cables , Tubes and Power Conditioners to EQ a System

That may be true - none of us was with you to judge exactly what you heard. But the "reason for" is another matter! Just as you insist that someone else cannot 'define' what you heard (or perhaps more accurately, interpreted what you heard ...? :) ), it its a little thick for you to offer 'a...
  25. A

Using different Wires , Cables , Tubes and Power Conditioners to EQ a System

With what purpose exactly does one start 'equalising'? If in order to achieve a sound that one prefers irrespective of reality, then the rest of my post is irrelevant. But if 'closest approach to the original' is the aim, then there is a problem. Does one ever question a real live performance...
Back
Top Bottom