Search results

1. BillyBatts

McIntosh Portable AM/LW Radio Circa late 40s, early 50s?

Aloha gents. I am hoping one of the McIntosh gurus here can help me. Back in the 80s, I was given a McIntosh portable AM/LW radio. Battery operated. Wooden cabinet, green and cream cloth covering. If I were to guess, I'd say it was a late 40s, early 50s model. It sounded absolutely...
  2. BillyBatts

Can Someone Please Help Me Identify these Vintage Amplified Motorola Speakers?

Aloha gents. I need some help. I can't get to the backs of these easily to get a model number. They are vintage amplified Motorola speakers, guessing late 60s. Tube amps I believe. Four knobs in grill. One is ON-OFF, one Volume, one Treble, one Bass. Placard on front says "MOTOROLA HIGH...
  3. BillyBatts

Today's Contemporary Jazz Playlist

Aloha! A few of us on the great AK Jazz Playlist were batting the ball around regarding starting a CONTEMPORARY Jazz Playlist as a subset of all the great Jazz posted on the generic thread. So here we go. The focus of this thread will be CONTEMPORARY Jazz. Worldwide. Living or recent...
  4. BillyBatts

The Shaving Thread

Aloha! A few of us were talking about wet shaving. I didn't see a shaving thread. Apologies if I missed it. I've been into wet shaving for decades and personally collect and use STRAIGHT RAZORS. I hone, strop and recondition these and have a collection of about 20 or so. I also use Double...
  5. BillyBatts

French Bread, Butter, Roasted Garlic and Fresh Raspberry Jam

Aloha! My favorite restaurant in the world used to be Bistro 110 in Chicago. This pseudo-French styled restaurant served the best rotissarie chicken with roasted veggies (including roasted Parsnip) that I have ever had. When they closed and re-opened as an Italian restaurant, I shed a tear...
  6. BillyBatts

Migrating from Airplay (DLNA) to Bluetooth Apt-X for my streaming pleasure

Aloha gents. I've been a big fan of Airplay/DLNA receivers. I have an older iPhone and iPad, and they make great streaming devices with Airplay. And my Airplay receivers are also DLNA compatible, so I can stream via WiFi from a Windows Music Server (Windows 10 Laptop) and from my BlackBerry...
  7. BillyBatts

New Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - First up... BACON!

I've been cooking on Cast Iron for years. It's healthy, utilitarian and lasts more than a lifetime. I just got a few more pieces for camping. I always buy Lodge. Purchased an 8" Skillet and lid and an 8" 2 qt Dutch Oven and lid to use at the campsite. Lids are also cast. Perfect for...
  8. BillyBatts

Does Anyone here NOT own a Television?

When I was in college, the Service Technician at the local Stereo Shop told me that he was raised in a home with no television. His parents did not believe TV was good for families nor children. They spent their evenings talking, reading and listening to radio as a family, and spent weekends...
  9. BillyBatts

Terrestrial FM Jazz "LIVE JAZZ SHOW" Listing

Aloha! A few of us have been chatting about our favorite Live FM Jazz "Shows" and where to find them, so it was decided that we'd keep a list of them. This is NOT simply a generic list of stations that broadcast Jazz, but a list of particular LIVE JAZZ SHOWS that a station is producing for...
  10. BillyBatts

Would Your Wife or Girlfriend Approve of Adding some Music to her Kitchen?

They say the kitchen is the gathering spot, so why not add a little music? Not sure the little lady would approve.
  11. BillyBatts

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride - Benefiting Prostate Cancer Research

Tally ho, gentlemen. This weekend is "The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride". I have done this ride in the preceding two years, but unfortunately this weekend, I have another venue that prevents me from attending. The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride is an International truly GLOBAL event of...
  12. BillyBatts

Keith Emerson RIP

I read an online Paper out of London "The Independent" and saw this article just now. Keith Emerson, Age 71, passed away at his home in California. I'll have to play some of my ELP later today. FYI...
  13. BillyBatts

AXPONA 2016

Aloha! Axpona 2016 in Chicago is closer than we think, slated for April 15-17, 2016 at the Westin, O'Hare in Rosemont. I am pre-planning to attend NOW so that it becomes a priority as I sit down on Monday, January 4 and do advance planning by month for the year. April will be here before we...
  14. BillyBatts

Opinions on Curtis Mathis Console Please

Hello Gents. I have the opportunity to get this Console. Seller is asking $100. I'm less concerned about the price as I am the quality. I have seen some threads about Curtis Mathis where some Audio Enthusiasts said the brand was not very good at all and they'd pass. Although I'm a fairly...
  15. BillyBatts

Does Amazon Sometimes Make a Serious Pricing Mistake?

I've seen blowout prices before on Amazon, many of them announced to PRIME members, However, yesterday I found what I think may have been a mistake that Amazon caught after I ordered the product based on the ridiculously cheap price. I was hunting for a decent Name Brand Bluetooth stereo...
  16. BillyBatts

Apple Music VS Spotify

Aloha! First, let me say that I have no dog in this fight. I use both. I have an iPhone 4s that I resurrected just to use Apple Music. I also brought my pristine and barely used iPad 2 out of moth balls for Apple Music. But before Apple Music debuted, I was a Spotify user big time. I'm...
  17. BillyBatts

Elusive - great seller

Bought some Vinyl from Dale and he shipped quickly, packed well, and the vinyl and covers were in BETTER shape than he described. Great seller. Thanks Dale. -Billy
  18. BillyBatts

New HBO Series "VINYL" premiering 2016

Just saw an ad for the new HBO Series "VINYL" by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger premiering in 2016. Looks like "Wolf of Wall Street" meets the 1970's Rock and Roll music industry. Trailer and information: HERE
  19. BillyBatts

Phil Collins Special - "Going Back to Detroit"

I've been digging a Smithsonian special tonight, "Phil Collins, Going Back to Detroit". Evidently, Phil Collins is a huge fan of the 1960's Soul records from Berry Gordy's Motown label. He travels back to Detroit to record an album of his favorite cuts. It's been a very interesting show...
  20. BillyBatts

Downbeat Article; "Jazz on Television in 1965"

I thought fellow Jazz Aficionados would enjoy reading this article from Downbeat Magazine Online; "Jazz on Television in 1965" The article was written in 1965 and outlines a meteoric burst of Jazz that was commercially broadcast the last few weeks of 1964 and the first few months of 1965...
  21. BillyBatts

The Top 100 Quintessential Jazz Songs?

I've been looking at this list for a while. http://jazz24.com/jazz-100/ KPLU via Jazz24 polled thousands of Jazz Listeners for their top 100 Jazz songs and this list is the result. Of course, many have and will take issue with it because of the subjectivity. Yet, out of thousands of...
  22. BillyBatts

New Morning Habit - Classical Music and Coffee - What do YOU Play in the AM?

I'm mostly a Jazz lover. I've been into Jazz since my High School Music Theory teacher (yep, I actually took music theory in High School) introduced me to Jazz in my Senior year. I was hooked. Most mornings for the last few decades, I'd rise, brew coffee, put on some great Jazz and get...
  23. BillyBatts

American Pharoah set to Run in $1.75 Million Haskell Invitational Today at Monmouth

American Pharoah is set to appear for the first time since winning the Triple Crown in the 12th race at Monmouth today, the big $1,750,000.00 Haskell Invitational. Bob Baffert and Zayat Racing Stables are committed to allowing the champion to run, and run him they intend to do. I'll be...
  24. BillyBatts

Excessive Commercials Ruining Some Potentially Excellent Movie Watching

Has anyone else noticed how commercials on the Cable Movie Networks have crept into networks that were formally commercial free lately, and that these commercials are now OUTRAGEOUS in length compared to the movie run time? I'm a Business Owner. I understand needing to make a profit. I...
  25. BillyBatts

Finally got my Pioneer Dream System from the early 70's

Wanted this Vintage Pioneer system since I was a young teen. I was on a trip to the Midwest last month when I saw one of our fellow members post in BarterTown the Receiver, Dual Turntable and a bonus TEAC R2R that I also had my eye on as a young teen. Jumped on it and picked it up. The...
Back
Top Bottom