Search results

1. mikejennings

Vintage Speaker Sensitivity?

I have a pair of 1977 SpeakeLab 6 speakers in my system. I have searched to old SpeakerLab catalogs and the internet in general and can't find a Spec for their Sensitivity rating. 12" woofer and Mid and High horns. Wondering if any might know the Spec or hazard a well educated guess? The...
  2. mikejennings

Bias ?

If the manufacturer specs 400mV for the bias setting for a PP EL34 powered amp (+/- 40mV) would this spec'd setting remain the same for a 6CA7 in the same amp?
  3. mikejennings

Ohm's ??

I rarely listen thru headphones, one of the advantages of living alone, with no close neighbors to bother or offend. I have a pair of AKG K240 cans that are listed as "600ohm". A quick lesson on how the ohmage, related to the phone output on "most" amps both SS and Tube, affects performance?
  4. mikejennings

Switching Speakers between Amps

Curious if there is a convenient and "safe" method to switch a single pair of speakers between two different amps other than unplugging the speaker leads from the amps and moving them? [Not talking about when the power is on, just wanting to explore different amps for different sources with out...
  5. mikejennings

Jolida JD302B Bias circuit or Bad Tube?

I'm running Gold Lion KT77s in this amp. The tubes are a few years old but don't have excessive hours on them or have they been "run hard" volume/output wise. I noticed, yesterday, that V7 [outboard right channel pair] looked dimmer than its mate or the the other pair. When I checked the...
  6. mikejennings

NAD C542 Issue?

I have a new issue with my CD player. Lately when I push the "Open" button the CD "drawer" will open and then immediately close. You gotta be quick to remove and then reinsert a new disc. Other than that the unit plays fine and I'm fine with the quality of sound through my Jolida JD302B and...
  7. mikejennings

DAC upgrade likely to provide any discernible improvements??

My "digital system" consists of an iMac to a DragonFly [early] DAC, onto a Marantz SR4023 receiver, into a pair of ADS 630 Speakers. I use it for streaming Pandora etc., DVD watching [especially music/concert DVD]. I am not really unhappy with the sound quality…… but wonder if an upgraded DAC...
  8. mikejennings

MR78 vs TU717

Contemplating moving my TU717 into the downstairs [Shop] system and seriously considering a Mac MR78 as it's replacement in the main system [Tube integrated amp] in the living room. Interested in opinions regarding audio/quality comparisons between the two? Reliability? [given both being in...
  9. mikejennings

Jolida 302B Left Channel has dropped out

I have a Jolida 302B that I purchased in 2008. Power tubes replaced with GL KT77's a couple of years ago. Pre amp and drivers replaced at the same time with Tung Sol AX's and AT's. Noticed today that the Left Channel is all but dead… can barely hear out put at the speaker with ear right up to...
  10. mikejennings

Cassette [tape] to 3.5mm stereo plug adaptor ??

I posted this question in "Car Audio" but it appeares not many folks frequent that sub-forum..so asking here. I have a 2001 Jeep that I'm going to hang onto for another year or so [AM/FM/Cassette] I don't want to go to the expense of installing a new radio at this time. Are there any...
  11. mikejennings

Marantz PM6004 Protection mode issure

I have a 6004 that is a bit over a year old. It only gets occasional use in the shop. I bought it specifically because it was rated for 4ohm to 16ohm loads, and I have a vintage pair of ADS 400s [4ohm] that it drives. Yesterday I was listening to the tuner through it and went to turn the volume...
  12. mikejennings

1st PONO evening

Received my PONO player today. I have the Nora Jones signature model so it came with two of her albums loaded on a sim-card. Through my grado gr10 buds absolutely delightful! I'm listening now on my SS stereo system from the line out on the player and THIS IS VERY VERY GOOD! I don't know...
  13. mikejennings

Cold Snap / Electric Grid / Bias

I have a Jolida 302B [KT-77s] with "bias lights" We are experiencing a cold snap up here in the Islands "teens and twenties" Noticed this morning while spinning records that the bias indicator lights were flashing during play and were not on at all when there was no input signal…...
  14. mikejennings

3.5mm v 1/8" ?

Besides the .012 difference… are these mini stereo plugs generally interchangeable on iPhones, iPods, PONO, etc. ? Just bought a pair of Grado GR10 with 3.5mm plug in anticipation of the delivery of my PONO player. Went looking for an adapter Y cable [mini-stereo phone-to-dual RCA] so that...
  15. mikejennings

Old Zenith Transoceanic ??

This may belong in "Tubes" instead of here so Mod's can move if necessary, but one of the questions may concern "detection" circuits. I have a 1947 Zenith Transoceanic Mdl.# 8G005-YI Tubes are: [2] 1LN5, [2] 1LB4, 1LC6, 1LE3, 1LD5, 117Z6 GT/G Detection problem?: Radio receives and...
  16. mikejennings

Phone/Bud advice for mobile?

I'm looking for recommendations for Buds in particular and or phones to use with mobile devices. Particularly looking forward [I hope] to Pono later in the year. Say a budget around $400.00 Particularly interested in what impedance I should be looking for. I have a set of AKG 240M...
  17. mikejennings

ADS line/models education please

I'm trying to sort out the ADS line and their model number/specs relationship I have an early pair of 400s [thumbscrew wire connects and early logo] these seem to be VERY similar to the L520s. Same drivers in slightly smaller cab?? [btw they are 4ohm] I use these in my wood shop driven by a...
  18. mikejennings

Pro-ject Xtension 9

I'm considering a purchase of one but no dealers [audition] anywhere near me. Any one have direct experience with this deck and thoughts, impressions? Mike
  19. mikejennings

Pro-Ject Xpression 9 reviews?

SORRY this should read Pro-Ject XTENSION 9 [don't know how to change/edit thread title] Any owners / auditioners willing to share their thoughts on this deck? I had been considering a VPI classic I for a "final" upgrade from my MMF-2.2, but for the difference in cost and the Pro-Ject's...
  20. mikejennings

Uni Pivot v Gimbaled VPI tonearms.

I'm saving for the purchase of a VPI Classic series TT and I am interested in opinions / experiences with the strength/weaknesses of the two arm styles available. Thanks Mike
  21. mikejennings

Speaker efficiency # ?

Does anyone have the efficiency rating for the following speakers? Question is more of a curiosity inquiry than any thing else. I am happy with each set in their relative systems, but would like the numbers to help me understand the forum discussions that relate to efficiency. SpeakerLab 6 ...
  22. mikejennings

Computer/ DAC / Receiver connection ?

I'm wondering what most folks do regarding the " RCA in" connections on receivers /preamps downstream from the DAC. Most modern receivers have separate input jack/selections for CD / DVD-AUX. When one is using several formats, I watch DVDs (many are concert), occasionally play CDs, and...
  23. mikejennings

Upgrading advice

I'm ready to upgrade the turntable in my system and, in person, "previewing" is not going to be possible for any because of my location. I have narrowed my choices down to: VPI Classic 1 MMF 7.1 or 9.1 Clearaudio w/ verify My current table is a MMF 2.2 and is the "weak link" in the...
  24. mikejennings

Eight right speaker channel cuts out?

I have cleaned the pots and wafer switches but still having this problem with my Eight. The right speaker channel, when the unit is initially powered up, will "cut out", or not come up at all [static, very low output, or no output at all] about 60% of the time when the unit has been sitting...
  25. mikejennings

De-vinyling cabinets?

I recently took my working fine but aesthetically challenged ADS L630s out of my main tube system in favor of some SpeakerLab 6s. The vinyl "woodgrain" covering is scuffed and chipped in some areas. Has anyone had any success in removing the vinyl [heatgun?] prior to veneering with wood? The...
Back
Top Bottom